The AM Forum
April 20, 2024, 10:26:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It was Wet but Fun  (Read 6733 times)
W1UJR
« on: May 07, 2005, 07:28:44 PM »

Another HossTraders is over, abet not the driest one yet.
Guess we are getting payback for the last two super WX festers.

HossTraders is like seeing a old friend. The beautiful setting, KW1I with his radio and military vehicle display, the Swine Barn area, the apple strudel vendor, I hope it keeps going on and on.

In any case, it was fun to see and meet old and new friends.
Finally met the Dirkatron, and it was great to see Carl EYY once again - thaks to Brent for arranging that.

Also tnx to Brent and the group for the keg of Sam, nice touch and made the rain seem to be less of a care - think I owe you a couple of bucks.
Missed the promised AM fire device, where did that go?

In general, attendance seemed down, perhaps the WX?
The boatanchor facor seemed low, lots of high ticket Rangers but little else in the way interesting old junk. Maybe we arrived too late on Friday and missed the deals, or maybe its going to the "e" place.

Parts seemed scarce as well, I manged to find the 1KW Bird military dummy load for my QRP rig, but really had to scratch and sniff for goodies ceramic plate caps, insulators, etc.

Dinner Friday evening at Cheers in Concord was fun, nice break from the fester.

On the way back to Maine Larry made an intersting observation, notice how the AM crowd hangs out with a couple of dozen guys centered around Swine Central? You don't see the behavior with the practioners of the other modes - yes Virginia there are "other" modes. Speaks well for the integrity and fellowship of the AM community.

So, look forward to seeing you on the air!

73 Bruce W1UJR

Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 02:08:42 PM »

Agree Bruce. As you know we wimped out Firday evening, but sounds like we may have made the right choice. Wonder how the WX was Sat. We ate at the brew pub in Nashua and I left my sweatshirt there so when I called about it Sat noon they said it was raw and pouring.

Good to see you and the rest of the gang

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 02:21:05 AM »

Rain and/or turbulence consumed the HLR dog-log torodial mass loading device somewhere before the second toll southbound on the Everett Turnpike.[/img]

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
W1UJR
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 07:40:41 AM »

The dog lost its log?Huh??
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 09:32:10 AM »

Quote from: AJ1G
Rain and/or turbulence consumed the HLR dog-log torodial mass loading device somewhere before the second toll southbound on the Everett Turnpike.[/img]

Probably a good thing to lose the toroid before it became vulcanized. Imagine it flying into a patrol car's windshield.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 10:55:28 AM »

I had a most excellent time at Hosstraders, despite the rain. Best in years, really. In fact, I think the threat of rain really enhanced the socializing aspect. Dinner at Cheers was indeed a great event, getting to ride in Larry's wicked pissah Falcoon with the appropriate Elmac gear perking away was the icing on the cake. Thanks to the rest of the dinner convoy for waiting patiently while Bruce bought that huge dummy load and I haggled for the Interceptor B receiver. It actually looks better with the missing knobs replaced and the correct cabinet screws. Even works, sortakinda.

Dave 'APE, many thanks for hauling those HT-37s back to Fred. I'm sure he appreciates it and I know I sure do. Time for someone else to enjoy them.

Carl, you didn't wimp out fast enough to prevent me ending up with your friend's cabinet. No idea what I'll do with it, but it was just too cool to pass up. Even has handles!

Went there thinking I was lightening the load a bit by trading off the T-195 and passing on the HT-37s and an SP-200. Might have saved some in weight, but ended up taking 4 radios down and bringing 4 radios back (think my arms are 8 inches longer now). Found a few other trinkets as well, but mainly had a great time hanging out with the gang and swapping stories. Some of the stories were quite...interesting...

Ditto Bruce's thanks to Brent for the Sam Adams. It did indeed help lubricate attitudes for the less-than-stellar wx conditions. No idea what happened to the heater, but the tank of propane I brought came in handy when I got back home and the grill ran out.  Smiley

Looking forward to next fall, but looking even more forward to getting back on the air.

Thanks to all who took part. We do indeed have the best group of folks there.

~ Todd,  'KAQ

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 01:39:10 PM »

I am quite yehellified I couldn't make the fester. The mom of a close friend of the family passed away and we had to attend the funeral on Friday. I was so bummed all weekend,  :cry:  :cry:  looking at the clock on Friday night thinking about you guys having a blast in the piggy barn.

Guess I'll have to shoot for October......

Sorry Chris.
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2005, 05:13:35 AM »

Glenn- Sorry you couldn't make it to Hosstraders,  Was wondering what had happened to keep you from showing up.  Hope you can make it in October.  There must be a corollary to Murphy's Law that says the more you look forward to making it up to Hosstraders, the greater the probability that something will come up at the last minute that will prevent it!  Been in that situation many times over the years myself.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2005, 01:37:04 PM »

Hi Chris;

Yea, I was really looking forward to seeing you again after all these years, and of course meeting Timtron for the first time was also high on my list, in addition to the rest of the AM gang. Bummer!!! I'll try for October, hopefully no disasters will occur! :?

Haven't heard you on the air in a while Chris, maybe we can do a sked sometime. On AM of course!...

Quote from: AJ1G
Glenn- Sorry you couldn't make it to Hosstraders,  Was wondering what had happened to keep you from showing up.  Hope you can make it in October.  There must be a corollary to Murphy's Law that says the more you look forward to making it up to Hosstraders, the greater the probability that something will come up at the last minute that will prevent it!  Been in that situation many times over the years myself.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015