The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:31:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fifty buck TinySA Spectrum analyzer  (Read 3583 times)
W1ITT

« on: September 16, 2020, 09:54:55 AM »

Following on from the NanoVNA network analyzer, we now have a small spectrum analyzer, HF through UHF for 50 dollars, the TinySA.  No, it's not going to scare the folks at Rhode & Schwartz, but it looks quite capable.  As of this writing they are backordered, pre-release, but it looks like they are inbound soon, including via a Stateside source.
I'm going to get one on order for myself.  With the magic plug-in component tester that identifies R,L, C, and semiconductors, a small DVM, a compact frequency meter, the NanoVNA,and now the Tiny SA, this completes the concept of a full RF test lab that fits in a belt pouch.  These are wonderful times for Radio Amateurs, with lots of value for not much money.  Just the same, I'm still not going to get rid of my Simpson 260 !
73 de Norm W1ITT

https://hackaday.com/2020/09/01/tinysa-is-a-49-spectrum-analyzer/
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 03:43:53 PM »

I saw that on EHam a couple of weeks ago.  I was tempted.  Even on EPay at $100 isn't bad (from US).  From China, around $70.  Both "free" shipping.  2.8 inch LCD screen, kinda small.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
W1ITT

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 03:59:44 PM »

Yes, the 2.8" screen is small and doesn't provide a lot of room for mittens when using it as a touch screen.  As with the NanoVNA this one is claimed to tether to a PC if we want to look at a bigger screen.  By the time R&L gets done with postage and Maine sales tax  it's about $58.  There are some videos on Youtube that show some shortcomings in dynamic range but I think it'll be useful enough to justify that amount.  I hope the Aliens keep dropping by and transferring more of their technology to us.
73 de Norm W1ITT
w9jsw
Two shots of Whisky
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 04:48:19 PM »

Definitely tempting at $50ish price. If it gets above $100, a $119 SDRPlay1A with the free SA software becomes more rational.
w9jsw
Two shots of Whisky
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 04:51:20 PM »

Pretty amazing really. Most of the test equipment for ham use can fit in a drawer instead of a rack/bench. So far I have the NanoVNA and have a L/C meter that is the same. So goes the digital multimeter. All fit in a small drawer.

KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 05:39:17 PM »

Definitely tempting at $50ish price. If it gets above $100, a $119 SDRPlay1A with the free SA software becomes more rational.

I brought this up on one of the mailing reflectors for the NanoVNA.  You can use one of them for spectrum analysis as well.

However, the NanoSA is calibrated in firmware.... 

--Shane
KD6VXI
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 09:26:33 AM »

This guy has been doing several short videos on it. For me too many https://www.youtube.com/c/IMSAIGuy

n1ps
Contributing

websdr http://sebagolakesdr.us:8901/

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2020, 08:05:24 PM »

Norm does it have a tracking gen function? 
W1ITT

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2020, 09:15:42 PM »

Hi Peter...
I don't have one in hand as they are on backorder, expected "in October", so all I know is what I've seen for specs online.  However, there are  only two SMA input connectors, one being for LF, MF, HF and up into the VHF, then the other connector for VHF up to around 900 mhz or so.  This looks like a worthwhile unit for the average ham, but some studies on YouTube indicate that its internals are not spiffy clean of phase noise.  For fifty bucks, I think I'll be happy with it but again, it ain't no Rhode and Schwartz.
73 de Norm W1ITT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015