The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:34:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 75 Meters AM Radio Nets  (Read 15992 times)
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« on: September 12, 2020, 04:24:34 PM »

Perhaps as a result of being retired now and having more home time on my hands I made this net list, some are real, some are new ideas:

The Whisper Net – only whispering allowed, best with high power and good conditions.

No Traffic Traffic Net – check in QRU and pass no traffic.

The Swap Net – one man’s junk is another man’s treasure.

The Piss & Moan Net – gripe about anything, controlled net.

The Old Man (T.O.M.) Net – everyone talks like they are 95 + years old; Hiram might appear.

Piss Weaker (QRP AM) Net – run your low power rig - 47, 6V6, 6AQ5, 50C5, 2N3553, rice box, Retro75, Nouveau 75, etc.

Hyellowy Audio Net – put your worst sounding rig on the air.

Homecoming Weekend Net – over Thanksgiving weekend, how many AM’ers check in total?  _._

The UFO Net - report things you saw in the ‘60’s and ‘70’s when you were under the influence.

Help Me Adjust My Audio Chain Net – Endless back and forth on tweaking the compressor, mic equalizer, different mics, noise gate, limiter, reverb, modulator gain, SDR transmit bandwidth, “I lost my configuration”.

The Interference Net – how many slop bucketeers, sweepers, vulgar CW, 3 kHz BW white noise, RTTY’ers, can we attract in the course of the net?

21st Century Hellschreiber Net – what creative waterfall display can you transmit?

The Oatmeal Net – breakfast along with the morning show.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
Jim/WA2MER
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 08:25:58 PM »

How about the Stream of Consciousness Net? You drone on for 20 minutes about a topic that no one asked about, and then end it by saying "Let me keep it moving..."

Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess.
Since you have to die anyway, you might as well die from something you like.
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 12:41:49 AM »

Ummmm... I thought these were all on the air now?
No?

Of course I think you forgot one:

- The Solid Ham net: only signal reports, the weather, your rig, QTH, and if you are going out later... a directed net, no break-in.
(antenna height/type may be permitted on occasion)

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 06:22:01 PM »

Here's another one -

The Doubling Net - two stations must be transmitting at the same time.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 07:14:17 PM »

That's a funny list, Tom... Grin Grin

The Cappella Net:    (music with voice only - without instrumental accompaniment)

Everyone takes a turn and sings their best renditions of their favorite songs.

Suggestions for old buzzards - these are songs that I can sing, "amateur" quality. A back and forth, pause and finish the phrase singing QSO is invited:    I left my Heart in San Francisco,  Fly Me to the Moon,  MaCarthur's Park,  Sheeerrry - Shery Baby,  Me and Mrs. Jones,  Dancing Cheek to Cheek, Martha My Dear,  Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, Court of the Crimson King, White Christmas, Everybody Loves Somebody,  New York, New York, There's a Moon out tonight, Moonlight Serenade, With a Little Help From My Friends, Christmas Time is Here, Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire and many more of your own favorites.

This would be a scream for a real net, especially if there were some drinking going on.  It's amazing what a set of vocal chords can do other than just talk.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Jim/WA2MER
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 07:20:08 PM »

The Cappella Net:    (music with voice only - without instrumental accompaniment)

Everyone takes a turn and sings their best renditions of their favorite songs.

On the one hand I think the broadcasting of music by an amateur radio station is prohibited by FCC rules. On the other hand, I don't think what you're suggesting could be considered music...

Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess.
Since you have to die anyway, you might as well die from something you like.
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 07:31:27 PM »

It's probably on the borderline.  But who would care if there was a little fun?  For years Uncle Ed,WA3PUN and  Irb -  and a few others sang regularly on 75M. Uncle Ed had a very good, professional voice since he was "lead vocalist in the Wayne King Orchestra."

In the case of a net, I'll bet there are less than three guys who would dare sing a tune into the mic. (without a lot of prodding)  Might be renamed the Silent Net.   Grin

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 07:32:38 PM »

Yes, music is prohibited. Yes, it could be argued that some AM'ers singing is not music.

I hate to be superstitious, but Uncle Ed and Irb both met a terrible demise.

W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2020, 03:36:23 PM »

don't forget the good ole stand by; aches, pains and ailments net.  Though they are a dime a dozen on 75m on any given late night.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2020, 04:15:57 PM »

Over here on the left coast there are two nets that I know of.

West Coast AMI net

And their is a breakfast net in the Pacific Northwest of a few friends.  Probably 20 people or so. 

Wish propagation would return so we can talk again.  Nothing but noise most days and nights here.

--Shane
KD6VXI
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2020, 04:46:40 PM »

The Carbon Mic Tone Deaf Net

Two activities:

First, the "Slam the Table" exercise to repack the granules.   Then the competition begins:  The winner must give detailed EQ adjustment advice to twenty-five carbon mic users in a row without losing his mind.   

T

ka1tdq

Red part turned in for a refund.

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2020, 11:44:51 PM »

My recommendation, a CW net using AM voice only. You need to mouth out the "Bah, bi-bi bah's."

Not to be confused with the speaking in tongues net.

Jon

It’s not just values, it’s business.
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2020, 11:52:01 PM »

I don’t want to get off topic, but did anyone ever hear a good carbon mic? 

And I watched the mini-series remake of Catch-22 recently.  Has anyone ever heard a throat-mic?  I haven’t. 

How about The Throat Mic Net?  Does anyone make a throat mic now?

ka1tdq

Red part turned in for a refund.

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2020, 06:31:43 AM »

Throat mics are cool.

I should’ve qualified my comment about the tongue talking net. FCC requires that all transmissions not be encrypted. If said amateur radio operator communicates via inspiration from divine sources, those transmissions are required to be translated into common English for the layman, hence the radio operator must also posses the gift of interpretation.

It’s a very difficult club to gain favor from.

Tough crowd.

Jon

It’s not just values, it’s business.
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2020, 09:17:17 AM »

As a kid, I had two of the aircraft carbon mics - T17 family I think they are; round vertical shaft, big button on the left. One was all black plastic, the other appeared to be cast aluminum body. I think I still have one

BUT I never saw one of the throat mics!

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2020, 10:13:43 AM »

"    Has anyone ever heard a throat-mic?  "

Fair Radeo had 'em fer sale.

KLC

What? Me worry?
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2020, 10:55:26 AM »

Throat mics are still a thing.

As mentioned, Fair has them.  https://fairradio.com/product/7800h/

Special Forces uses them.  Flyboys appear to use(d) them as well.

I've seen them advertised in the past, but I just don't think their is an amateur "need" for one?  Maybe for the militaria guys?

--Shane
KD6VXI

Edited to include link to Fair
kd1nw
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2020, 08:27:31 AM »

The Wind Chime Net... now that the weather is getting cold.. why not bring those wind chimes in doors and put them on the air? Checkins can also include the sounds of dishes being washed... Cheesy
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2020, 01:38:52 PM »

Yes, good net suggestion Kevin!  I've been wanting to get a windchime set for the shack for a long time; not too tall - just the right size, with very good timbre; as important as choosing a good microphone.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2020, 03:33:38 PM »

After it starts, right click on the moving ball and loop it for all day annoyance:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0366/4239/0147/files/BPMAS.mp3

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2020, 03:45:04 PM »

To be inclusive.....

Black Robed Gangster Net

klc

What? Me worry?
WA1LGQ
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2020, 01:46:02 PM »

Yes, I like the wind chime net idea, see who can wipe out the most adjacent QSO's with annoying sidebands! I guess that was Irb's idea. Just imagine a pile up of signals with wind chimes all transmitting at once. Somebody might come across it and think it was some kind of new digital  mode.
Larry
W2JBL

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2020, 07:54:53 PM »

I use wind chimes at both of my locations, especially now that I have Irb's Johnson KW on the air. Give them a good jangle and the guys with the spectrum displays freak out. They also are great retaliation towards certain people who intentionally run 40 KC wide or those insist on operating only 5 KC between AM QSO's.
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2020, 06:43:33 AM »

How could I have forgotten -
The Old Buzzard TX Net - The longest TX I ever heard was 30 minutes.

KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2020, 08:18:23 AM »

Wind chines.

Heck out Firedrake!

--Shane
KD6VXI
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands