The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:27:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Garage door opener  (Read 10504 times)
xe1yzy

« on: May 06, 2005, 03:33:48 PM »

Hi guys...

My Garage door opener burns quite often the ligth bulb, they last only one or two weeks, I even change for a flourecent light , but same happens...

any Idea to improve the light bulb life?

Have a good weekend !

TVI WHAT TVI?
W1JS

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 03:46:45 PM »

Maybe it is the vibration.  Try using a bulb designed to work under more strenuous conditions.  Like special application bulbs made for a trouble/work lights or ones made for ceiling fans.

73 de
W1JS
Jack
No. Weare NH
Vinnie/N2TAI
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 08:58:31 PM »

Modern standard lightbulbs are not designed to take much vibration when they are hot. Yes bulbs designed for rough service or fan service have sturdier filaments with extra supports and can better deal with a vibrating environment. Also how long does the operator leave the light on, remember a standard 100 watt bulb has a design life of 750 hours or so. Lower wattage bulbs have longer design lives.
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 10:07:26 PM »

Well if it was me, I'd op for a change altogether, i'd leave that circuit intact and use the Switch to actuate a better circuit involving two 100 watt lamps mounted in another location  side by side on the ceiling say 5 foot apart and light the area up even better, heck mounting hardware and boxes an such are relatively inexpensive, and what little wire wouldn't amount to much and you'd have Better lighting...I never liked those lamps incased in those systems anyways, bad heat disapation, pain the butt to get too, i just don't like that set up...
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2005, 08:20:41 AM »

Seems to me It would take a wicked amount of vibration to kill a bulb in 1 or 2 weeks and the fluorescent replacement didn't last any better. I think I would find an older analog volt meter to test the line voltage first. If the static line voltage is right, put a new bulb in and check the voltage at the bulb socket. Watch for spikes. It may be the motor start or stop is causing a spike at the bulb socket as the field collapses. Also look to see if the ac line neutral is properly attached.

Somebody makes a gizmo that fits under a bulb in a light socket that softens the surge when the bulb  is switched on. The maker clamed extended bulb life. I suspect some sort of soft start circuit. This gizmo may cost a few bucks and unless the voltage is stable may end up in the same bin as the old bulbs. It may just need a new cap. Good luck. Let us know what you find.

Mike
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2005, 08:23:48 AM »

You may want to try an easier alternative. Install an appliance or outdoor service bulb. Most of these are designed a little more heartier than the garden variety light bulb. Most of the time they can withstand the vibration too.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
VA3ES - Piss-Weak Ed
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2005, 04:40:30 PM »

We use 130V bulbs here. We get them at the regular hardware store.  They last for months and months, maybe even 9 months or more. They're 10% more dim than a normal 120V bulb, but who cares?   I use 'em everywhere.
N8YE
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2005, 09:12:05 AM »

Fix it the way I did. Remove the bulb and screw in a threaded plug adapter. Make up a 4 foot lamp cord with a plug and socket. Hang the socket from the ceiling with a bulb and plug the cord into the machine. No problems since.
..73 ...Steve..N8YE
xe1yzy

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2005, 04:14:45 PM »

Thanks to all...

Well, the problem is solved, following your ideas I put a plug adapter, and a lamp fixture  right to the garage celling, to avoid the motor vibration, also I put a small relay for take any spike, now the light bulbs take the power in another source...

well lets see if this works and last !

Thanks a lot guys!

TVI WHAT TVI?
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2005, 07:58:48 PM »

Well FB WE hope everything works out there OM.. Cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015