The AM Forum
April 23, 2024, 08:07:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Emipre of the Air DVD @ HossTraders?  (Read 5500 times)
W1UJR
« on: May 05, 2005, 07:12:54 AM »

Aside from the drinking, fire and other festivities, any interest in a screening of "Empire of the Air"?

I have a small 12" TV which I could bring to the event, I believe we have power.

Amazon.com description follows:
Like a juicy page-turner, Ken Burns's two-hour documentary on the history of radio is packed with tantalizing ingredients: power, greed, broken friendships, narcissistic heroes, and tragic players.

Adapted from Tom Lewis's absorbing book, Empire follows three Americans who crafted Guglielmo Marconi's discovery of radio waves into a powerful component of the 20th century: foppish inventor Lee de Forest; Edwin Howard Armstrong, the engineer's engineer; and Russian immigrant David Sarnoff, who became head of RCA.

This project came between Burns's mammoth Civil War and Baseball documentaries, and he departs from him usual structure. Instead of having actors read the letters of the participants, Burns relies on narrator Jason Robards. Because the subject matter is relatively new, there's abundant information on the three men, including on-air interviews with those who knew them. Burns's ability to marry image and sound (often old broadcasts) is a wonder, making this film as poetic as it is deft. --Doug Thomas

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 02:29:40 PM »

Excellent flick, Bruce - only wish he had made it as long as the Civl War series!

Maybe you could talk those guys with the projection screen TV on the other side of the grounds into letting us use it?  Smiley

'KAQ

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
VA3ES - Piss-Weak Ed
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 02:30:55 PM »

Very nice. Amazon link, please?
W1UJR
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 03:45:23 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00007KE4F/104-1589331-7378337?v=glance
VA3ES - Piss-Weak Ed
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 11:27:51 PM »

Quote from: W1UJR

Thank you, Sir!
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 07:29:46 PM »

The DVD is only half the story. I know this sounds cliche' but you need to get the book. I bet I read that book at least 5 times, (A good book is worth reading more than once). As much as I love RCA, after reading the book, I have nothing but loathing for David Sarnoff, disdain for Lee DeForrest, and pity for Edwin Armstrong.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
N5RLR
Extra With A Side Of Fries

Supremely Lurking

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2005, 12:05:46 AM »

DeForest was a crackpot.  A romantic crackpot, but still a crackpot.  :p

It saddens me to think what might have been, had Major Armstrong not had all his troubles, and committed suicide.  A brilliant gentleman was lost to us all.

And...we all know what Sarnoff was...  :badgrin:

Michael

Licensed Since 1990  Cheesy
WA1GFZ

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2005, 05:57:13 PM »

Sarnoff had no real talent so he had to resort to scum bad to get ahead.
W1UJR
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2005, 07:00:15 PM »

You are right, that’s really how the movie portrays him Frank.
Of course Deforest was likewise portrayed as a scam artist.

But Sarnoff did have one talent; he was quite shrew how he was able to pull together the company that became RCA. I’m not sure I admire shrewdness over the incredible talent which Armstrong had.

Reading out Armstrong, his love of heights, crazy stunts like climbing the Alpine tower and antennas at the building in NYC, the portable radio he serenaded his future wire with while he was courting, I think he was a pretty fun guy. Anyone care to wager if the Major would be an AMer should he be here today? At the very least he would be a very interesting old buzzard!

Have you ever read the Radio Club of America’s book on Armstrong?
It’s quite well written and a good weekend read, I’m working on it now.
http://www.radio-club-of-america.org/legacies.htm

Good to see you at the fester!

73 Bruce W1UJR

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015