The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:20:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orienting Two 3C24 tubes (corrected tube type)  (Read 3232 times)
N4LTA
Contributing

« on: June 26, 2020, 12:19:25 PM »

I am starting to build a small 100 watt class am rig using two 3C24 triode tubes. The tube has the plate on top and the grid on the side.

Trying to figure the best way to locate them side by side. I would guess taking the plate parasitic suppressors of the top in one direction, and the grid suppressors at 180 degrees.

Never seen a photo of a rig with these tubes.

Thanks

Pat
N4LTA
KC2ZFA

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 01:32:09 PM »

the 1947 Editors & Engineers handbook shows amps with 35TG and HK-54 tubes, the pics don't photograph well but they show the tubes seated deep in the chassis with, what I figure, less than a quarter of the tube base protruding above it.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 05:21:11 PM »

I am starting to build a small 100 watt class am rig using two 3C24 triode tubes. The tube has the plate on top and the grid on the side.

Thanks

Pat
N4LTA

Hi Pat,

How did this 3C24 project work out?   How's the other projects going in the rebuilt house?   I used to have a 24G modulated by a pair, so interested.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
N4LTA
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2020, 04:40:51 PM »

I have the parts to build this but will wait till my shop is complete it. I have the modulator complete. The RF deck is a little more than I want to attempt in the apartment. I am working on a HV bench power supply now in the apartment to keep me busy.

We hope to move back in in 2 weeks or so but it will be another 4 weeks after that  to complete the lab and shop. It is all in the dry now. starting to get the conduit for antenna coax routed in the walls and get existing coax into the lab area this week.

The house has been totally repainted and the floors refinished with new carpet upstairs.  Only the den and back hall and restroom are unfinished and they have just been put in the dry. Those areas as well as the shop and garage need to be totally refinished. We are getting there.

Pat
N4LTA

K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 07:11:13 PM »

Keep us posted with pics, Pat.   I always enjoy seeing homebrew tube rigs, especially plate modulated stuff big and small.

GL on the house repairs. It always ends up better than the original in the end.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 12:20:19 PM »

Like Tom said...........

I have an old BC-640 rig here that was over six feet tall that used those tubes. I don't have the PS but most of the panels. I'm going to take some pictures of it and post them on here so you can see some of the lay out of some of the stuff. They were a WW2 transmitter that was used as a base transmitter for aircraft comm. I read an article on how they were way worst than a BC-610 for wiping out every TV in town before cable TV came rolling into towns.

I seen one that was on eBay that was like factory new and surprisingly it brought over a G note which means it went to a serious collector that will hold it at bay from the junk yard electowolfs (parts Ahole's) for a few more years........

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
N4LTA
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2020, 01:39:29 PM »

Thanks

I will be anxiously waiting or the photos. I have not seen any photos of this tube in operation.

Pat
N4LTA
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2020, 02:30:59 PM »

Ok. Pat, it will be in about a week as I am heading for my camp right now. Don't forget to remind me if I should forget to post! I get tied up in BS and sometimes forget:)

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2020, 04:43:11 PM »

https://www.google.com/search?q=3c24+tube+in+operation&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjB0-iB04LsAhXWn-AKHQreBoIQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=3c24+tube+in+operation&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQA1Djclj9fGDzf2gAcAB4AIABUogBlQKSAQE0mAEAoAEBqgELZ3dzLXdpei1pbWfAAQE&sclient=img&ei=3QNtX4HxHNa_ggeKvJuQCA&bih=937&biw=1920&hl=en#imgrc=lkstGSi80UtDpM

Here's two in audio operation. Looks like the sockets are sub-mounted a little.

Mine were very bright, like a lightbulb when the filaments were lit.  With big grid drive they really put out the power for such old, small triodes.

T

And another:

http://doityourselfaudio.blogspot.com/2012/07/3c24-se-amplifier.html

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015