The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:15:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: W2ZM SK  (Read 7508 times)
W2ZE
« on: June 20, 2020, 12:17:20 PM »

It is with a heavy heart that I inform everyone that my father Bob, W2ZM passed away Thursday evening after being in failing health for some time. There will be a small service performed on Wednesday per his wishes. He was a larger than life individual who never did anything unless it was to the fullest. I learned an awful lot from him, and can thank him for teaching me a skillset that has carried me a lifetime. He will be missed.

Mike, W2ZE
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 12:21:20 PM »

Mike,

My condolences to you and your family. I had the privilege of speaking with your father on the air many times and meeting him in person at his shop in Syracuse back in the 1990s. Your loss is a loss for all of us. He will be missed.
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 03:46:09 PM »

I'm sorry to hear this Mike.  My condolences to you and your family.

I worked Bob many times when he was net control for AWA PM-AM nets.

Rest in peace Bob.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 03:50:18 PM »

Sorry Mike. May he rest in peace.

Bill KA8WTK

Bill KA8WTK
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2020, 04:13:41 PM »

So sorry to hear this, Mike.  Big loss for us all.

Back in the mid-1990's Bob became one of my favorite ham buddies when we held nightly court together in the 75M DX window. We spent many hours on the phone discussing 75M rigs, big wire arrays and DXing.  He was a good listener and was one of the biggest guns on the east coast in short order.

You are right, Mike - he always did things to the fullest.  Big antennas, big rigs and amplifiers, his T-rods with 454 and Roots superchargers, his VLF big gun work and on and on.  He was one of the smartest guys I knew.. always figured out a solution and was a master in business as proved when he bought up  AM stations (when no one wanted them) converted them to rock and roll formats and sold out near the peak. Brilliant. And he was a great diplomat for the AWA.

Bob is a big loss for family and ham radio. One unique person I will not forget.

Rest in Peace, Bob. 

Tom, K1JJ

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2020, 08:05:34 PM »

Hi Mike,

So sorry to hear the news, but honestly not surprised based on his health issues.  Looking back, he certainly had a lot of good years since he had the dumpster dive at his former QTH.  

Martha and myself have many great memories of visiting your Dad several times at his Pen Yen QTH.  Your Dad was a contributor in so many ways.  Just this past February, during the AWA AM QSO Party, the museum had on the air the James Millen personal transmitter.  Your Dad got that transmitter on the air soon after the AWA visited James Millen who agreed to donate the rig to the AWA.  I have many fond memories of working your Dad over the years and one of the few stations that had the guts to modulate a self excited Hartley transmitter!  Then there were those rides down to Pen Yen at the deli to get those great roast beef sandwiches.  Thanks to your Dad, I met and got to know Frank Toce who was a character unto himself.  I could go on and on with the memories but will stop now.  

Wishing you and your family all the best as you go through the mourning process.  

Let the memories prevail and keep them close to your heart.  

Joe-W3GMS    

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2020, 06:35:13 AM »

Let me add my condolences to the list Mike.  I remember seeing you and your dad in the 1980s and 1990s when you lived in NYS after the (late) Rochester NY hamfest and “ Rock” events at Gary INR’s place.  Those were wonderful times with a lot of great people; you and your dad were among them.  I miss those days of long ago especially today where we are locked down and can’t even go to the supermarket without full HAZMAT gear to get a friggin’ loaf of bread.

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
w1vtp

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2020, 01:55:39 PM »

I am so so sorry

Al
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2020, 05:10:29 PM »

Gee Mike, all my prayers and wishes for the family. Your dad welcomed me into the AM fold back in 95. He was one of the first I qso'd with on AM. We had many qsos after that and I always learned something. I've missed chatting with him, and you, on the air these past few years. He will be greatly missed but absolutely fondly remembered.
N3WWL
Founding

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2020, 08:32:11 AM »

Mike, I offer my condolences as well.  '2ZM will be greatly missed.
ka8gef
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2020, 11:31:40 AM »

My condolences. I would often listen to Bob on the air and I quickly realized that the man was a true professional in every sense of the word.

ka8gef
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2020, 01:06:26 PM »

Mike:

I am very sorry to hear this sad news. Your father was a fixture on AM and I enjoyed both chatting with him and listening to his hobby efforts, of which there were many.

We are here for you, and will miss the beacon of W2ZM!

Dan
W1DAN
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2020, 09:08:59 PM »

Your dad will surely be missed.  He really could be QUITE the character.

Many years ago, he and I were in QSO and some slop-bucket came on the frequency and gave Bob a hard time.  I cannot repeat here in writing what was said, but it was VERY creative and the slop-bucketeer didn't bother us any more.  A good memory !!

Sorry for your loss, Mike.

Steve QIX

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
N4LTA
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2020, 09:57:47 PM »

Sorry for your loss.

Pat
N4LTA
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2020, 07:42:23 PM »

Hello Mike, it's was a sad day when I learned of your fathers passing. I was on the air with HLR and he told me that he had just spoke to you about 1/2 hour earlier and broke the news to me.

I too have had many a pleasant QSO's with your father. He will be missed by all who knew him. God Bless and Thanks Bob, I know your in a place where you can now hear us all in thought and prayer.

Terry   

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2020, 11:49:13 AM »

Add me too as a great admirer of your Dad Mike. 
He's the one who got me interested and joining AWA.
We certainly had pretty neat QSO's going back a few, well several, years.

Please accept my sincerest condolences.

I'm attaching W2AN QSL card from Bob and Bruce operating the memorial W1HRX station back in 1994 when I was WA3YPI in northern Pa.  I'd started my reply to W2AN in CW since I was so excited and hadn't fired up the modulator to my Shoebox 813 rig.  Bob came back and said, 'why are you running CW.'   -One of my great memories of your dad!.

* W2AN QSL card front.jpg (1504.87 KB, 3847x1620 - viewed 269 times.)

* W2AN QSL card rear.jpg (1131.9 KB, 3949x1622 - viewed 288 times.)

RICK  *W3RSW*
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2020, 01:42:26 PM »

I think it was the first Heavy Metal Rally. Bob ran the Big Mac transmitter on 160 meters and dominated the proceedings. IIRC, he won the Rally going away. As others have said, he did everything full tilt and with gusto. He will be missed.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2020, 09:45:31 AM »

Just saw this.... Mike, so sorry about this - as you know your dad was one hell of a guy!  We'll sure miss him.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
W2NBC
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2020, 05:05:44 PM »

Mike,

I once had a chat on the air with Bob and Tim.. It was just after “modifying” something here, and I was eager to tout all about it on the air..
After a few transmissions from your Dad with Tim in tow, I knew that experience and absolute practical knowledge was the key to this stuff. I learned a LOT every time he was on the air, just listening..

He was absolutely one of a kind, and a full-throttle force I won’t forget..

Vintage Radio Pages- http://www.dealamerica.com
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2020, 10:59:49 PM »

Sorry to hear it sir.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2020, 02:21:04 PM »

Oh My, so sorry to hear of Bob's passing. He was a top A1 Ham and master of the air in many ways. It did not matter what he became involved in, he would pursue it to the maximum effect, and dominate. One example was when Bob got the AWA Old Time Transmitter bug He just came in and took the top prize like it was nothing! Same with his interest in LF.

These are the good old days of AM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015