The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:36:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ZINC PASTE (PENETROX) On Coax Fittings  (Read 3306 times)
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« on: June 16, 2020, 09:14:35 PM »

Just finished building a 6-meter beam and the manufacturer included some Penetrox tom be used on all metal to metal contacts. Someone told me it was also good to smear inside the PL-259 and SO239 junction to prevent corrosion.
I'm not sure as I understand the purpose is to keep the integrity of the electrical connection. I am concerned that this would cause a short between the inner pin and outer shell.

Does anyone have solid knowledge or experience? Google has not been helpful.

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 09:58:42 PM »

It’s conductive, so apply it sparingly. I always apply a spritz of deoxit, than wrap the connector. Just  checked a connector that was atop the tower for 7 years - still bright and shiney.
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 11:00:29 PM »

I'd personally prefer lead based (hard to find these days) or nickel based... on the outside threads of a PL-259 - SO-239, I think
it would be fine...

Otoh, I've had such a connector pair on dipoles and beams, which I wrapped in black electrical tape, then covered
with that stretchy/rubbery sealant stuff. They sell it, but I got mine from a friend who worked for NY Telephone, and
the later incarnations... When I peeled that off after 20 years, the connectors were bright and clean!

Oddly they seem to sell an "anti-seize" that is aluminum?? Huh? What is that?

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
W1ITT

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 10:16:42 AM »

There are different flavors of Penetrox, the regular stuff, Penetrox-A for aluminum, and the copper bearing stuff.  Perhaps there are others.  I have seen evidence of Penetrox-A creeping in warm conditions.  Therefore I'd be cautious about using it in coax connectors, being scared that it would make its way onto the dielectric and either degrade it or provide a shunt path.  My experience with the quart can of Penetrox -A that I acquired decades ago is that one should use about a tenth of what you'd think is necessary, despite the fact that some packagings come with a brush in the cap.  If I were to use it on the threads of coax connectors (which I've never thought necessary) I'd apply it with a toothpick and let the threads carry ti. around.  In general, it's good stuff and I wouldn't want to be without it.

73 de Norm W1ITT
VE7RF

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 01:14:53 PM »

The only thing  you want to apply is a thin coating of dielectric grease (any auto parts store)
to both the center pin..and the threads, that's it.

Jim  VE7RF
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015