The AM Forum
April 23, 2024, 07:20:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The 813 Rig Troubleshooting Mystery  (Read 9284 times)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2020, 01:01:01 PM »

As my final post for this thread:

Finally - Success!   At 12 Midnight, Don, K4KYV was calling CQ on 3875.  I fired up Hollywood for the first time on the air and gave him a call.

I've spent a few days running tone tests and making some mods to get Hollywood sounding the best I can. I believe a rig can sound excellent before ever seeing real time QSOs.

Don was QSO #1.  He said it sounds exactly like the 4-1000A plate modulated rig. I didn't touch the audio chain, EQ or anything related to audio except the level.  It was a summer night and the shack remained cool. Great tubes, those 813s.

I'm real pleased with the sharp +- 6 KHz  bandwidth audio skirts I see on the receive SDR spectrum, the REA modulation peaks as well as general sound in the mod monitor.  It sweeps cleanly from 19 Hz to about 10KHz. I haven't added in NFB yet due to some circuit mods that need to be done, so it shud get even better.

I put the cover on and consider it a done project for now.  As I was working Don, I was laying out the chassis and front panel for my new 125 watt summertime rig; a 4D32 plate modulated by a pair of 6LF6 big sweep tubes - or maybe plate modulated by a 75 watt SS 8 ohm amplifier using a 1642SE  Hammond  53 Henry 28 pound super hi-fi output transformer. The little rig for summertime.

But for now, Hollywood ran a couple of hours last night without a single problem at 1/2 gallon out. (500 watts)   I have a HV PS that will do 1500-3KV.     2200 V is a great voltage for the lashup.

So there's now two plate modulated rigs in the harem with a third to be added soon.  I shud be on the air with it quite often over the next few weeks, so give me a call.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
kc2we

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2020, 09:05:59 PM »

Years ago, back in 1960 to be exact, I was trying to build a 7094 amplifier out of the 1959 ARRL HB. Newly minted General Class (WA2FNF) I though all I had to do was follow the article. Well, truth be told I never got the 7094 to work in class C or any class for that matter. Gave up and used an 813 with great success. 50 years later, this thing bugged me. So I looked at the 59 HB again. They had the WRONG PINS for all the tube elements. Yikes! Worse yet, there was never an ARRL correction until I pointed out the error in 2015 to the QST editor. What they did was delete the pin numbers in the schematic. There's no way to edit the page from a 1959 document. So, if you use a 7094, a newer version of the 813 (sort of), use the RCA tube manual or Frank's data sheets on-line for the correct pin outs. Who knew.....

Seth Taylor
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015