The AM Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:00:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Henry 2K-2 is locked.  (Read 3287 times)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« on: May 28, 2020, 11:39:41 PM »

Apparently, a key is required to open the power supply front panel of the Henry 2K-2. There's no number on the lock, and no key was found for it. Before I try to pick the lock, is this a common key or something special?

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 11:57:34 AM »

I have a 2K-3 here.

Same problem.

It's a commonly available lock at Home Cheapo.  Post office lock.

Keys for what's in it?  Good luck.

Heres how to gain access to be able to change it.

Remove the RF Deck.  6 Phillips screws on the CONSOLE top side.  Not the ones on the RF deck.

Have something to put the rf deck on nearby.

Access to the largish nut holding the lock is now granted.

Mine isn't real pretty, but it's a one owner before me.  The owner went SK 20 years ago.  No chance of getting that key.  Since it was built in the 60s, that key was probably long lost before I bought it from his nephew.

Good luck!  And I'd mount the choke on glastic or some other isolator. They are known to short to frame.

--Shane
KD6VXI

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 08:17:11 PM »

I didn't realize the wires were long enough for that. Well will try in the next few days.

I since learned this takes 3-400Zs, and according to one post the 3-500Zs will not fit without major cabinet work. I don't know when it was last used neither it nor the other equipment was was connected.

No idea if the tubes in it are good. There might be one good tube in a box of old used tubes, but that's it and they don't make them any more.

I was asked to clear out a room, as no one wanted it including a 1-2FT depth of randomly filled boxes on the floor. It was a ton of hard work, and very hot.
http://bunkerofdoom.com/hoard7/index.html

KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 09:06:13 PM »

Change the fils xformer to 12.6 volts.

Install a gs35b.

Change from choke input to cap input with a FWB to increase the gain.

Makes a damn fine amp.

Yes, you're right.  You have to put spacers on the sockets.  It's worth doing that mod, imho.

-Shane
KD6VXI
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 11:53:56 PM »

I'd rather do the spacers for 3-500Zs if that works. I'll get to have a better look there soon!

KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 11:57:39 PM »

The pic shows a 2K-3.

That takes 3-500Z tubes.

https://www.henryradio.com/oldamplifiers.html

That's the same thing I have, and mine came with 500Zs.

--Shane
W1ITT

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2020, 06:42:04 AM »

Decades ago I refurbed two 2K3s for a fellow who liked to have two of everything.  They had 3-500Zs in them.  Details are fading but I seem to recall that there were two different plate caps available, one of them a bit lower in profile so as not to come too close to the roof.
On one of them, the HV choke would intermittently arc to the side of the cabinet.  I took some 18 mil Teflon sheet and slid it in between.  One of the thin plastic kitchen cutting boards would do as well.
It never occurred to me to see if the cabinet keys were unique or both the same.  Perhaps a key could be borrowed and tried.  The key blanks are common and one could be ground at the hardware store if that works.  By the way, the Motorola cabinet keys are in wide circulation and that same key is often used on the outside storage compartment of many RVs.  It's worth a try...
73 de Norm W1ITT
K8DI
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 09:14:14 AM »

3-400Z?
I recently acquired a Hallicrafters HT-45 that uses one. It arrived bad (metal bits visibly rattling around inside). Before I hack it up to get a 500 to fit inside, if you end up with extra 400s, I’d be interested...

Ed

Ed, K8DI, warming the air with RF, and working on lighting the shack with thoriated tungsten and mercury vapor...
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 08:36:16 PM »

Ok my mistake. Why did I think it was a 2K-2?? Maybe the people kept mentioning that model for some reason. That solves the tube issue. I must be having too many late nights after working out in the heat all day. Still to attend to the lock. There was one loose 3-400 from the location and it had also the bits rolling around in it. I'll look in the main stash though and if there are any good you can have them.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015