The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:13:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nouveau 75A QRP AM Class E Transceiver  (Read 4045 times)
AJ1G
Contributing

« on: May 20, 2020, 06:58:32 AM »

Just had a QSO on 3885 with Jerry, AA1OF up in Franconia, NH, who was running  QRP AM with a Nouveau 75A AM transceiver , built from a kit.  Looked it up and found it  quite interesting  little radio, puts out a 5 watt carrier, using  a Class E transmitter, and Class G modulator, available as an easy to build kit for about 115 bucks.  Sounds like  it would make a great little AM exciter to drive my Central Electronics 600L amplifier to its full rated 200W AM carrier input level, and or to use with a 50 to 100 watt solid state amplifier  for 75 meter AM mobile operation.  Anyone else on here now anything about this radio?

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 07:11:40 AM »

I put one together when it was first announced.  Works well, easy to build.  All the surface mount components are already installed on the PC board.

Has a PIC running a nice little DDS for frequency agility, and a seven-segment frequency display.

The enclosure is novel.  PC board sections with black solder mask, and legends of silkscreen.  It is soldered together in the corners, making a nice looking and durable transceiver.  Have fun!

EDIT:  More info here:
http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=45276.0

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 11:08:06 AM »

Thanks for the link Rick. I thought the Nouveau 75A had been discussed here on AMFone before but a search on that exact wording came back empty.  Looks like a great little radio, the earlier thread also includes a tweak to widen the frequency response of the audio.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
K8LEN

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 02:13:32 PM »

I use to wrk guys in INDIANAPOLIS area who used this radio, but haven't heard them for a while.
Perhaps they read this forum they will be active  once again.
My location SOUTHERN,INDIANA <ORLEANS> 75 meter radio ALINCO, 40 watts, antenna vertical.
POB/K8LEN

73<br />POB/K8LEN.......SOUTHERN..INDIANA
licensed since 1958
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2020, 07:20:07 PM »

A friend up in NH built one i believe last summer and it had a problem and I don't know if he
ever fixed it. It had a birdy up the band about 30 kcs from 3885 whenever he transmitted on it. I remember that I was listening to him on QIX's SDR. To be sure that it was a birdy, I pulled up one of the other SDR's that use different software than Steve's and sure enough, the problem was heard on there as well.

My question is can this happen if it's not aligned properly or not loaded correctly? I thought about getting one to drive my Chippewa but I'm still sitting on my hands Tongue Tongue

BTW, it could have been more than 30 kcs, I just don't remember exactly the spacing.
TY

# 2 BTW, I just checked YouTube and no one has one on there but there is plenty of other stuff to suck you in! I escaped the grip of the Tube......

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
ka8gef
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2020, 09:17:53 PM »

You may want to contact Jeff Covelli, WA8SAJ, here in NE Ohio. Jeff built one of the first kits sold and often would be heard operating it around 3880. He would also regularly check into the DX-60 net running this transceiver. Jeff is well versed on this rig and he offered up valuable info/advice to those who inquired about it.

ka8gef
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2020, 05:09:06 PM »

Jeff - WA8SAJ just checked into the AWA PM/AM net yesterday that I host with his Nouveau transceiver running into his Elecraft amplifier.  The rig sounds great!  I believe he build an early one and then a later one since they implemented some circuit changes. 

All the 4 States QRP stuff is very good.

Joe-W3GMS 

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015