The AM Forum
April 20, 2024, 05:11:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Series Modulating two 4D32s  (Read 14933 times)
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2020, 05:19:15 PM »

Hi Phil,

Thanks much for the info.

25 watts MOSFET dissipation for two 4D32s is amazing for a class A modulator!  Plus no filament power. I will have to look into this more closely. What is the carrier power out when running 25 watts dissipation?

So the heatsink is not that big. But what if we use like, 1500V instead of 600V?   Obviously the 11N90s will not handle it. But how about using those IGBT HV devices? I'm told their prices have come down. I played around with them when building the 4D32 PDM rig using them as PDM cathode modulators. They did get hot though at 2000V on the rig and popped, even with a copper spreader/ heatsink.  1500-2000V will certainly ramp it up.  It all depends if the rig is to be used as a low power driver or as a stand-alone rig that can use the power to get thru.

Have you tried passing a squarewave thru and how does a 50 Hz triangle look?

If 600V is the limit, then I can still use a low power 50-75 watt rig that can pass squarewaves to drive my 4X1 linear amp.  It will also double as a low power daytime summertime rig. What's not to like?

Rick:  I see where you're coming from with the class A modulator plans. The critical loading adjustent would be my first reason not to go with efficiency modulation. It's like putting a test tone thru every time you want to tune it up on a different freq.   TNX, OM.

With the cascode circuit seen below and as previously posted, this will handle up to 1600 volts cathode voltage. It also has HV surge protection built in. This is the modulator I will be using for my 4-400 cathode modulated transmitter.

Cathode voltages only rise to about 0.25 X Vp to 0.35 X Vp depending on the tube gain. Of course tetrode cathode voltages may rise to the 0.35 X Vp figure.

For a dual 4D32 about +200 Watts carrier can be expected for 650 Volts Vp and 0.5A total plate current. Now for a Vp of 650 volts Vp (as per tube specs), only one Mosfet is needed.

As always, depending on individual tube gain(s) some tweaking is always required.

AC0OB

* Cathode Modulation Transmitter for HV final.pdf (42.57 KB - downloaded 313 times.)
* Cathode Modulated Transmitter for Dual 4D32.pdf (80.51 KB - downloaded 312 times.)

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
N4LTA
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2020, 06:58:53 PM »

I layed out a power supply board using snap in capacitors. Two  220uF 450 volt snapin caps wit two 1500 volt 3 amp rectifier diodes and a 15 K 50 watt bleeded off board. Two 2 watt balancing resistors for the caps on board. I have a 10H  500 mA  Hammond choke as a choke input. I find that the Hammond choke swing enough that the 40 mA through the bleeder will drop the voltage to near the transformer AC winding voltage. I am using a 1200 v center tapped Hammond power transformer with 115 and 125  volt primary. the 115 volt  tap will get me a little over 600 volts under load. I am not using the filament windings,  which should lighten the load a bit on the transformer.

Have a 6.3 volt, 8 amp filament transformer rated at 2500 volts for the 4D32 heaters. Need to see if I can get it all to fit in a 17 x 13 x 3 chassis with the RF parts.

Next, I'll lay out  a modulator board that will fit under chassis with a large heatsink.

Pat
N4LTA
N4LTA
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2020, 12:55:14 PM »

Just finished the modulator board and have ordered three for testing. Should get them Tuesday. Be fun building something for a change.

Pat
N4lta

* cathode mod.JPG (72.43 KB, 742x367 - viewed 545 times.)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2020, 10:13:10 PM »

Just finished the modulator board and have ordered three for testing. Should get them Tuesday. Be fun building something for a change.

Pat
N4lta

Hi Pat,

I wonder how you guys are making out with the 4D32 series modulated project?  Any initial testing, changes or direction changes?

I am almost finished with my 813 rig and now planning and looking closely at this project as well as a few others to make a 100-150 watt class rig.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
N4LTA
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2020, 10:50:34 AM »

I have one board in hand and the power supply board was delivered Friday to my office. I have all of the parts ready to build the boards, but I am out of town for a week. I'll be back Sunday.

I am looking for a modulation transformer of about 120 watts just in case. I had a perfect one burned up in the fire.

Also trying to get a layout done of my new shop and get the old building demolished. It is supposed to rain for the next week slowing things down. Insurance has been great though.

I have a new Flex 6600M just delivered  but no place to use it. Right now I have my R75  hooked to four 4' clip leads out the apartment window and all that I can do is listen to strong signals.

I had so much junque that needed to go and had replacement cost insurance. I'll end up with a much better situation.

Hopefully I can get the boards built and the power supply working in a couple of weeks. The transformers and chassis is here. I couldn't even drill the chassis until I got replacement drills. They came in Friday also.

Pat
N4LTA
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015