The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:45:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old style Teletype Machines Information  (Read 3584 times)
K8JLY

« on: April 17, 2020, 07:48:26 PM »

Greetings,Looking for information on setting up my Model 14 Reperforator and other info.  Also looking for a copy of what was known as the RTTY Handbook published about 1957.... Also can someone either send me a punched tape loop for testing my old gear or transmit on 80 or 40 meters either 850 or 170 hz, 60 wpm...

Thanks for any help...
Cid, K8JLY
Massillon, Ohio
W4EWH

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 12:18:49 AM »

Greetings,Looking for information on setting up my Model 14 Reperforator and other info. 

I suggest you subscribe to the greenkeys list. greenkeys-request@mailman.qth.net?subject=subscribe

HTH.

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
K4NYW
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 04:02:57 PM »

1000's of Teletype manuals are on line at
http://www.navy-radio.com/manuals-ttycorp.htm
The RTTY Handbook is there as well as all the back issues of RTTY Journal.

For testing, ITTY supplies a constant news feed at

http://internet-tty.net:8000/ITTY

60wpm, 170 shift

And yes, the greenkeys list is a great source of help, parts, etc.

Massillon OH? Check with Perry W8AU

Have Fun
Nick K4NYW

KA3EKH

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 08:14:12 PM »

Old school teletype can be fun if you have a little bit of background on the hardware you are using. First you have to have everything at the same speed. 60 WPM is fairly constant and common but newer teleprinters like model 28 can be 75 or 100 WPM.
The old model 14 printers were mostly 60 WPM (45.54 or something like that baud) and look to see if it has the synchronous motor, that way you wont have speed issues. Beware that many of the older military units had stupid shunt motors with a black and white timing wheel. Run away from them.
The next thing is the keyboards; repinters and printer magnets all work in a series DC loop with the keyboard and paper tape stuff making make and brake contacts in the DC loop. The loop will be anywhere from 70 to 120 VDC with only the closed circuit current being important (60 to 20Ma).
Once you get a working TU download MYYT and install it on a computer connected to the TU. MTTY can operate at any speed, shift or tone set and has the ability to display and generate test signals when playing with the hardware. Its also easy to use on the air.
Back in the seventies when I was a punk kid had a huge set up of mechanical teleprinters and played around with it a lot. Just recently started playing around with it again but most of the work so far has been on computers tied to radios but have to say operating using the computer works about a thousand times better then the old days of CV-57 tube type stuff. May be on the lookout for a small mechanical teleprinter again and a stand alone TU just for fun.
As far as Green Keys goes I had tried to join that group twice and never got any response from them. Maybe they have higher standards for there members then we do here.

K8JLY

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 09:35:28 PM »

Thanks for the reply,
All of my gear is 60wpm and all are driven with synchronous motors. The equipment I have is the RTTY station I operated in the 60's through about 1983.  Get this my page printer is a Western Union Model 101 that I have had since 1958.  Also using a Model 14 Typing Re-perforator, Teletype TD, and a homebrew CRT Terminal.  I have a homebrew tube type demodulator as well as a homebrew ST-4 "solid state" terminal.  I logged into the Green Keys Site and so far found most of their activity is ITTY..... Do not see the point in computer TT.
Might as well just send an email.  The RX is a 75A3, TX homebrew fsk exciter driving a pair 813's and also use a Central Electronics 100V.... The only thing older than me is the TT gear.... Check me out on QRZ....
Again tnx for the reply...
73. K8JLY Cid
K4RT
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 06:41:21 PM »

What is considered a good basic teletype model(s) to start with? I've been active on RTTY on and off since the 1980s, but only with computers.
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2020, 07:46:30 PM »

Thanks for the reply,
All of my gear is 60wpm and all are driven with synchronous motors. The equipment I have is the RTTY station I operated in the 60's through about 1983.  Get this my page printer is a Western Union Model 101 that I have had since 1958.  Also using a Model 14 Typing Re-perforator, Teletype TD, and a homebrew CRT Terminal.  I have a homebrew tube type demodulator as well as a homebrew ST-4 "solid state" terminal.  I logged into the Green Keys Site and so far found most of their activity is ITTY..... Do not see the point in computer TT.
Might as well just send an email.  The RX is a 75A3, TX homebrew fsk exciter driving a pair 813's and also use a Central Electronics 100V.... The only thing older than me is the TT gear.... Check me out on QRZ....
Again tnx for the reply...
73. K8JLY Cid

Just peeked at the qrz page.

Amazing!  Not inky do you have some amazing antique gear (functioning), but you also have the period correct QTH! 

I wonder, does someone have the period correct Eimac  50 tube for him?

Wonderful restorations there. 

--Shane
KD6VXI
w7fox

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2020, 05:18:37 PM »

I had a model 15 back in the eighties on 2 meters and HF.  It was lots of fun, but let it go after getting a Radio Shack Color Computer.  The model 15  was a wonderful beast, with a puddle of oil under it like my old cars.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015