The AM Forum
April 20, 2024, 04:12:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vintage Fishing  (Read 23783 times)
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2020, 11:56:52 AM »

It really is. Nothing like this is made today! I took it apart, cleaned and lubed it. Smooth as butter.

* summit1.mpg (3041.17 KB - downloaded 151 times.)
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2020, 03:54:13 PM »

It's been 3 years since fishing last for me.  Just bought the license a few minutes ago.  This thread has got me hooked.  No pun intended.  Even took a trip to one of the CT popular trout rivers (Salmon River) not far from the QTH.  Many throwing flies this morning.  

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2020, 04:40:25 PM »

It's been 3 years since fishing last for me.  Just bought the license a few minutes ago.  This thread has got me hooked.  No pun intended.  Even took a trip to one of the CT popular trout rivers (Salmon River) not far from the QTH.  Many throwing flies this morning.  

Bob,
I drove by in Colchester the other day and it seemed packed, looking from RT2 or River Road.  I may get my license too. I take Yaz out paddling in my fishing kayak so might as well fish.  The CT River is always exciting and kinda treacherous in a way, so it doubles the fun.  (Especially now that it's flooded) Shad peak soon in late Apr/May in Windsor using beads or the spinners.    A pail of shinners from the guy down the street will be quite the ticket for all kinds of fishing.

Steve...  it was all Mitchell 300s for freshwater and the Penn reels for salt water when I was a kid. Those made you the channelmaster. Glad you are really into it.  Who knows, planting a "Victory Garden" and keeping our fishing catches may become mainstream again.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2020, 11:35:08 PM »

Good to hear you boys are getting back into it. Lots of fun and a change of pace (usually). And you can take photos too.  Grin

I'm looking at getting an old Mitchell 300. Gotta have a vintage spinning combo to balance out the vintage baitcasting rigs I have now.  Cheesy

Was out today. Caught 24. This crappie had his tuxedo on.

* vintage sports afield.png (1380.43 KB, 722x962 - viewed 333 times.)

* mitchell.png (1944.88 KB, 910x1222 - viewed 339 times.)

* IMG_8542.jpg (3314.18 KB, 3024x4032 - viewed 340 times.)
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2020, 04:28:07 PM »

Got my power back late yesterday afternoon.  What a crazy storm.

Tom,
I went down River Rd. (the dirt portion) that runs parallel to Salmon River on Sunday just to do a stroll.  It wasn't to bad people wise.  Wish I had my gear with me. I would have taken a shot.  My next stroll will be going down the other side of Rt. 16 heading toward Moodus. There are some spots where one can access the river there too but they are limited compared to River Rd.  Have you ever kayaked down toward the dam?  I've seen 4WD'ers driving down the river. I find that so wrong. I don't know how that is allowed especially with the sensitivity of the salmon population unless it's being done illegally.

I like having a few shiners to toss around.  They make for good fishing.  I have used fake earth worms on a bobber. Even though they are "dead", bass and pickerel suck them up.

Nice fish, Steve.  Glad to see you're having fun.  Would be nice to see some green on our trees like you have.  

Bob
W1RKW
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2020, 02:24:00 PM »

I am a converted Fly Fisherman, but just put up another antenna with my Bass Rod.

My dad never fished which was a sin, because I was brought up just north of the Adirondacks. My uncle decided to teach my cousin and I to fish, so he bought us cheap rods and a pack of Daredevil Lures. This was 1973. The catch was that we had to go some place where fish still liked Daredevil Lures to learn! So he talked our parents into taking us on a cross Canada trip in his Winnebago for 6 weeks. I was 16 and my cousin was 14. So my first experiences were catching Trout on The Alaska highway in the Yukon Territory in lake Kluane, and in Alaska and Salmon on The Kenai Peninsula. We caught Arctic Grayling, Dolly Varden, Whitefish, Char and 2 kinds of Salmon on those stupid Daredevils! 

Later on I learned Bass fishing in South Florida while at Motorola. You kind of had to fish to be social. That was all Texas style Rubber worm fishing, which was all the rage in the1980's.

But it was my year off in Bozeman Montana in 1983 that got me onto Fly Fishing. They laughed at me with my Bass Rods. Yes the XYL and I took a year off when we were both 26 and no kids yet.
To be fair we both got part time jobs there, money saved already, and we had zero debts. I feel for the kids today.

Tight lines and wires! WU2D

These are the good old days of AM
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2020, 02:56:25 PM »

Michael,
That's a fishing trip many dream about myself included.  I watch videos from time to time about fishing trips into the back country and want to do the same thing.  There's some really cool stuff.   Thanks for sharing that.  Way cool!

Bob

Bob
W1RKW
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2020, 04:47:40 PM »

Wow Mike!  You’ve been a lucky guy to have had those experiences!

On the subject of fishing videos, which I highly recommend as an antidote to overexposure to COVID news coverage, check out all the surfcasting ones available on YouTube.  There’s a young guy who goes by the name Fishaholic who puts up some great ones, mainly from Montauk, up here in nearby RI, and New Jersey.  Many others as well from all over the world.  Those from the UK are very interesting.  Some of the surfcasters over there use REALLY long rods, they make the 11.5 footers I use look like Barbie kiddie rods in comparison!

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2020, 06:40:02 PM »

Great stories Mike! Smart move taking time off when you were young, especially for outdoor activities!

Used a vintage combo I recently acquired for the first time today - a Garcia Mitchell 300 (actually a 301 since I'm a lefty) and a Garcia Conolon 2508. I haven't tracked down the exact ages but these both existed at least as long ago as the early 60s. I tore down, cleaned and lubed the reel. The rod was almost mint. Lots of fun pulling in 10 gills and shell crackers. This light action rod really bends!

* IMG_8766.jpg (4180.4 KB, 3024x4032 - viewed 324 times.)

* IMG_8765.jpg (2780.8 KB, 3024x4032 - viewed 265 times.)

* IMG_8774a.jpg (4665.95 KB, 3024x4032 - viewed 283 times.)
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2020, 12:23:37 AM »

(actually a 301 since I'm a lefty)

All of my reel handles are on the left side -  and I'm a righty??   I don't get it.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2020, 01:13:45 AM »

OK, I see. The 301 uses the right hand side for a lefty... interesting.  It's all about using your best arm for casting the rod, not reeling it in.

T

* Mitchel 301.jpg (19.08 KB, 400x300 - viewed 247 times.)

Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2020, 10:20:05 AM »

On spinning reels. Baitcasters it's the exact opposite. Go figure.

Get ya one off eBay and relive your childhood! They are super easy to work on and parts are still available. I'm not reel mechanic and I was able to tear down, clean, lube and reassemble the 301 in less than an hour.

* IMG_8718.jpg (1192.81 KB, 2164x1906 - viewed 263 times.)

* IMG_8727.jpg (2823.23 KB, 3415x2768 - viewed 302 times.)

* IMG_8729.jpg (3270.92 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 249 times.)
KB1VWC
Contributing

« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2020, 05:30:50 PM »

Here is the perfect vintage outfit for those pesky Bluegills or Crappies (we referred to them Calico Bass in MA)

A pair of vintage Penn 14/0's  with 800 yards of 130 Lb Mono on them; just in case they give you a hard time. The only time I use these now is for shark fishing. Nothing quite says "fish on" like the clicker going on one of these guys going off at full steam. Always loved the colorful crank handles on the vintage Penn stuff. Just for a size comparison, My ocean city 76 Fly Reel is in the picture. Has all the markings on it for silk line. I use this with a rebuilt Leonard 9' Bamboo Fly rod that was shortened. There was only the second section and two tips, so I turned it into a nice 6' Brookie rod by mounting a grip and reel seat to the second section.

Always have lots of fun using vintage rods and reels. Enjoying reading this thread.

Steve

* Penn 117.jpg (1049.02 KB, 2448x1377 - viewed 252 times.)

* Ocean city Full.jpg (1241.92 KB, 2448x1377 - viewed 275 times.)
KA2DZT

« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2020, 09:45:27 PM »

I have a large collection of rods and reels too many.  Over 100 rods and probably 130 reels.  I'm left handed so I have many Mitchell reels 301, 309, 305 and right handed 300, some 300 are nos never used.  Did a little fishing earlier today.  Trying to use some of this gear a lot of which is new never used.

The interesting thing with bait casters is the regular model is for left handed fisherman.  Right handed fisherman have to have the odd model.  Otherwise you would cast with your right arm and then move the rod to your left hand.

Probably haft of my stuff is for salt water about 40 Penn reels  Mitchell bait casters,  Penn rods Ugly Sticks, St Croix, Lamiglass and others.  The rest is for fresh water.

At my age I'll never live long enough to use all this stuff.

Happy fishing

Fred
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2020, 09:13:26 PM »

Wow, those are some BIG reels there Steve. I'm going the opposite direction with the ultralight stuff.

Fred, that's what many right-handers do with a bait caster, switch hands. I don't have to do that! Sounds like you have an impressive collection. Post some pics.
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2020, 12:23:59 AM »

Fired up the other Apache today. Caught 41 fish with it.

* IMG_9696.jpg (3076.24 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 287 times.)

* IMG_9695.jpg (2586.41 KB, 3024x2977 - viewed 263 times.)

* IMG_9726a.jpg (4793.5 KB, 3024x4032 - viewed 282 times.)
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2020, 03:27:58 PM »

Finally got down on the water this week a couple of times.  Can’t fish my favorite RI beaches and breachways, out-of staters are not permitted at this point to fish from shore, either fresh or salt, in RI.  Been casting from a small CT state reservation about a half mile from home on the CT side of the Pawcatuck River, stripers are in there chasing herring and shad runs.  None this morning though.  Was more of a casting practice session with a couple of the big Murat 11.5 footers and Penn 704 Greenies, and some wooden Gibbs pencil poppers and a Danny swimmer.

* 1C9FD98B-FBAE-4B87-A5F1-BC41BED454C6.jpeg (172.93 KB, 640x480 - viewed 237 times.)

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2020, 03:32:04 PM »

Well that’s the first time that’s happened - both the posted thumbnail and the full sized image display upside down, usually the thumbnail is upside down and the full size flips to righ side up!

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2020, 03:35:25 PM »

Chris,  
something I have wondered about; for those who have purchased all water fishing licenses are anglers prohibited from using their licenses on the shoreline as well?

Regarding the upsidedown picture, the image tied to the link is upside down in an image viewer as well.

Bob
W1RKW
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2020, 09:37:23 PM »

Not exactly sure what you mean by an all water fishing license..in CT we purchase, or get for free if over after age 65, a fresh water license and a salt water license.  To fish in RI as a CT resident, you would normally only need to purchase a RI out of state fresh water license, there is reciprocity between CT and as far as I know all adjacent states, NY, MA, and RI, your CT salt water license is all that is needed to fish on the salt in the adjacent states, perhaps in other states as well.  Fresh water is another story, as a CT resident you need to purchase a RI non resident fresh water license.  I suppose if you didn’t want to buy a fresh and salt license for your home state of CT your could buy a RI salt water non resident license as well as the fresh water one, or just the salt water one by itself.

But the present prohibition on out of state residents fishing on RI shores and beaches apparently has nothing to with whether or not you have purchased a license.  It all has to do with the RI governor’s order that all out of date residents entering RI for any purpose other than their work there must quarantine for two weeks on entry.  The RI DEM web site says that non-residents that hate entered the state and completed their two week quarantine can fish in RI.  But someone like me, who lives less than a mile from the RI border and has for over 40 years done about 90 percent of our shopping and 90 percent of our medical appointments and treatments in RI and has not been prohibited from doing so during the current COVID crisis, can’t fish there.  M

I wonder if RI will refund any money to out of staters who might have purchased RI non resident fishing licenses for the entire year already and now are prohibited from using them.  I was planning to purchase a RI sand pass to take my Tacoma on RI beaches this year, where out of state residents pay an additional 100 dollars over the 100 dollars paid by residents.  Sure glad I haven’t bought it yet, and wondering if they will pro-rate any of that 100 dollar out of state surcharge if and when the beaches are re-opened to out of staters.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #70 on: May 21, 2020, 06:36:14 AM »

DEEPs Allwater License is  a combined fresh and saltwater license for CT residents.  Saves the buyer $10 if purchased together.  

My saltwater fishing is shore or surf fishing mostly from Waterford and  E. Lyme on the town and state beaches.  Some of the town beaches are closed to the public but just was wondering if that applied to residents who fish in CT especially at dawn and dusk. 

I sold the boat years ago to buy a house.  Wish I never did that.

Bob
W1RKW
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2020, 08:02:28 AM »

OK Bob.  Understand what you are talking about now.  Since I’m an official old fart now, (65 and over) the 10 buck discount for the CT all water license is a moot point because there’s no charge for either fresh or salt  licenses for me!

Re restrictions here in CT, I don’t think there are any state imposed ones,  other than maintains the usual social DXing.  Fishermen have always been social DXers.  Just try starting to cast close to another surf fishermen’s established spot on a beach, and God forbid cross his line with your cast and see how that goes!  Just like calling CQ on 3880 with a big signal when there’s a QSO on 3885!  On breachway rock walls which might get busy during a striper blitz, the social norm is to do a rotation along the wall giving everyone a shot at the better spots along it.  But sometimes things get fouled up by people bottom fishing for little scup (porgies) on the same spot for hours on end and don’t care about giving other’s a chance.

I would think the CT DEEP web site would have the latest requirements posted.  As far as local restrictions, I would check local town websites.  The spot near me here is a very small state reservation and the only sign there is the one that’s always been there stating no night parking except for fishermen.  I like that sign!

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #72 on: May 21, 2020, 04:37:01 PM »

Hi Chris,
I was thinking the same thing about fisherman social distancing style.  It's a natural.  I see it when driving through Salmon River State Forest even without the COVID crisis and folks just naturally being apart to prevent line snagging. Opening day is another story.   Maybe my fears of shoreline access are unfounded at least with state beaches. Local might be different.

Bob
W1RKW
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #73 on: May 22, 2020, 10:18:31 AM »

First fish of the season!  Nice little schoolie striper about a foot long.  Was a nice play on the old light action 7 foot Murat Custom rod, and my very non-vintage Shimano Sustain 3000HG, a very nice small reel that was my pick from my 45 year service award gift catalog.  First time I’ve used the rod and new reel ever. 

They had another Shimano reel in the retirement gift catalog,but when I tried to order it, it was no longer available, so Diane got a very nice ladies sport style analog dial watch instead.  She certainly deserves it for putting up with the all the extended  overtime, no weekends off for months, and extended work travel over the years!  She was all for me initially going for the second reel by the way.

Chris AJ1G Stonington

* 9B7C1490-9AD6-4830-B070-23E2AE01639A.jpeg (4024.66 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 275 times.)

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #74 on: May 28, 2020, 06:17:37 AM »

Came across this website while researching how to (successfully) free up a stuck drag on a relatively early Mitchell 306 (pre-Garcia-Mitchell) spinning reel.

https://mitchell-collectors-international.org/

Mitchell Collecters International - has extensive history, catalogs, and photo galleries of the Mitchell line of spinning reels. Back in the 50s and 60s, Mitchell and Penn were the predominant manufacturers of spinning reels before the Japanese product lines  hit the market.   

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015