The AM Forum
April 18, 2024, 11:50:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AM - Where everybody knows your name...  (Read 1682 times)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« on: March 18, 2020, 02:19:25 AM »

I had an interesting thought today.  Think about it....  Except for a class reunion or your own family, where can you go where people still know you from the 60's, 70s, 80s, 90's and into the 2000's?   Where else can you go and people know your history and you can still have fun with friends you've partied with for years?

Walk down the street of your old home town and I'll bet no one knows you.  Visit the halls of your old grammar school, high school or college and not a single person recognizes you.  On Saturday night go to the old hamburger joint you hung out at in high school and all your friends are long gone. Go to the many companies you worked at years ago and you are a stranger. Visit some of the old websites you once spent hours on and find no one you knew is there anymore.

But, turn on the AM rig for a week and if you have paid your dues over the last few decades there is a full history of friends who know you and your ham background.  Where else can you go and everybody knows your name?   Even old ssb groups have come and gone up and down the bands. But somehow AM has stayed intact and the history is rich. There is truly a legacy of tradition and operators that goes back as far as we are able to remember. Many are gone, but many still remain with AM memories way back to the 50's.

I find this unique.  

T  

* Everybody-Knows-Your-Name[4535].jpg (129.61 KB, 1360x768 - viewed 326 times.)

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 06:04:26 PM »

Yah.

Interesting phenomenon.

_-_-

"...that's quite a message..."

* Borg_cube_orbits_Earth,_remastered.jpg (295.64 KB, 749x574 - viewed 260 times.)

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 03:59:14 PM »

we are the borg.
we know your designation.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015