The AM Forum
April 17, 2024, 10:43:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dayton Hamvention Announces Cancelation of 2020 Show  (Read 2753 times)
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« on: March 15, 2020, 08:28:20 PM »

From ARRL
For the first time in its 68-year history, Dayton Hamvention® will not take place this year, due to concerns about the coronavirus outbreak. The glum news was not entirely unexpected, given widespread cancelations of public gatherings and a national state of emergency.

“The Hamvention Executive Committee has been monitoring the COVID19 pandemic. We have worked very closely with our local and state health departments. It is with a very heavy heart the Hamvention Executive Committee has decided to cancel Hamvention for this year,” Hamvention General Chair Jack Gerbs, WB8SCT, said in announcing the cancelation on March 15. “This decision is extremely difficult for us, but with around 2 months until the Great Gathering we felt this action necessary. More specific details regarding the closure will soon be posted. Thank you for your understanding in this time of international crisis.”

The Dayton Hamvention cancelation comes less than a week after the International DX Convention in Visalia, California, called off this year’s show. The Dayton Amateur Radio Association (DARA) sponsors Hamvention.

Since 2017, Hamvention has been held each May at the Greene County Fairgrounds and Expo Center in Xenia, Ohio. The international gathering attracted more than 32,000 visitors in 2019.

Hamvention’s announcement has caused the cancelation of other associated events. These include Contest University, the Contest Dinner, and the Top Band Dinner.

Be safe out there

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
KC4VWU

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 10:25:00 PM »

Have to wonder what they're going to do about all the ticket pre-sales.
KD1SH

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 10:53:13 AM »

Saw that one coming, but it still seems a bit of a stretch, Hamvention being a whole sixty days out.  We lost the Southington Hamfest down here, but that wasn't a surprise, being only thirteen days away.  Nearfest is now 46 days away; all eyes are on that now.
  Some common sense precautions locally, and others not so common sense: they closed the swap-shack at our town dump.  Do they think people might get coronavirus from old VCR tapes and Power Ranger action figures?
  Can't buy toilet paper down here, but I've got plenty of old QST's.  I'll start with the full-page ads for MfJ gear.

"Gosh, Batman, I never knew there were no punctuation marks in alphabet soup!"
—Robin, in the 1960's Batman TV series.
ka1tdq

Red part turned in for a refund.

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 06:37:23 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdbpmeUODME

Our local hamfest last weekend got cancelled too, and I think the Scottsdale one this coming weekend will also be cancelled. I guess those boxes of junk in the garage will have to wait until the fall.

Jon

It’s not just values, it’s business.
KK4YY

Your best isn't as good as you can be.

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 07:38:22 PM »

THESE are the times that try men’s souls.
― Thomas Paine

All your worries won't add a day to your life, or make the ones you have any happier.
KC4VWU

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 10:11:41 AM »

Yeah, their website should say "With heavy hearts, and FULL pockets, we regret having to say WE'RE cancelling Hamvention for this year."
We'll see, but I feel a lot better that I didn't consider buying any of those high dollar flea market spaces this year and really feel bad for those that did.
W6TOM
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 02:18:44 PM »

The first of the year electronics flea market in Santa Clara last weekend was canceled and another swap by Sacramento that was to be this Saturday has also been canceled so far and there others coming up later in the Spring that may be canceled too.
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2020, 07:10:24 PM »

Yeah, their website should say "With heavy hearts, and FULL pockets, we regret having to say WE'RE cancelling Hamvention for this year."
We'll see, but I feel a lot better that I didn't consider buying any of those high dollar flea market spaces this year and really feel bad for those that did.
From their website
Refund Information

We are offering the following options.
Obtain a refund.
Obtain a 2021 ticket instead. (to be mailed around January 1, 2021)
Donate to Hamvention (no refund)
For all general admission (not inside or flea market) online and mail orders, email tickets@hamvention.org with your preference.  Emails already received will be processed as indicated.

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015