The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:34:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Calling CQ on AM - An Art Form  (Read 11310 times)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2020, 10:35:21 PM »

Roundtable / long transmission observations:

The longer you talk, the less people will comment on what you just said.  The shorter you talk, the more comment coverage comes back to you.

For example, let's say we talk about ten different subjects for ten minutes straight. (Old Buzzard Transmission)
Reply from the next guy: "OK on everything.  OK on your operation details. Glad you're feeling better.  OK on EVERYTHING, Joe!  Now, let me tell you about what I've been doing for the last year...."    
Time spent replying to your comments?  1%.  Almost zero interaction.

Or, you make a short transmission: "Could you give me a critical audio report?"      
Reply: "Well, you have great lows, pristine highs and no hum. Your bandwidth is tight at +- 6 KHz.  I'd give it a 9.5."      
Time spent replying to your comments?  100%.   Full interaction.

The bottom line is to keep comments as short as possible by breaking up the amount of material into smaller parts between transmissions. It's better to make ten, 1 minute transmissions rather than one 10 minute transmission. Very little exchange takes place after very long transmissions. No need to take notes or have a super memory. Everyone in the group has to cooperate with short ones or it doesn't work.

Transmission thermal runaway:  We've all heard it... there are six guys in a roundtable and the transmissions start getting longer and longer. This is because everyone wants to get in their comments cuz it may be a LONG time before it gets back to them  -  so might as well get in our licks now. Then after each takes his 20 minute transmission they all sign out abruptly one after another.  "Think I will make this my last one  - See you guys next time. Click."    (And if you're last in line, the person left holding the 60 minute bag could be you)   Grin

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2020, 12:29:17 AM »

Well, Tom, you have taught us all a valuable lesson.  When making an old buzzard transmission, always listen via a remote SDR on headphones.  Lest somebody called JJ just might pull a scam, forcing us to repeat the entire diatribe.

By the way, I have no trouble calling CQ, and it usually works out well.  But after today, I can no longer say 73.  Having come into the world in 1947, I am now over the hill for using 73.  On the other hand, when conversing with a  YL with a nice voice, no problem issuing 88.

Rick

OOPS, I did it again!

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2020, 12:25:49 PM »

Well, Tom, you have taught us all a valuable lesson.  When making an old buzzard transmission, always listen via a remote SDR on headphones.  Lest somebody called JJ just might pull a scam, forcing us to repeat the entire diatribe.
Rick

Yep, the failed transmission gag thread.  Coincidently, Clark and I tried it yesterday on 3885.  However, the victim was on top of things and recovered after a few seconds...    There needs to be a LONG transmission first, to work properly.  

T

----------------------------------

Taken from  "The Old Buzzard Transmission Backfire"  thread:

"Some years ago there was an AMer (we'll call Marvin) who made a lot of really LOOOONG old buzzard transmissions. He would breech 10 minutes and longer sometimes and repeat what he said several times. It was a big group. As he was turning it over to the next station, I told everyone to stand by for a minute. A few seconds before he unkeyed I jumped in and started talking, "well I've talked long enough - gee, I wonder what happened to Marvin? Maybe he fixed his rig by now.  Marvin are you still there?... we heard a big bang and you were gone."   (I made him think his rig crapped out and he had talked into a dead mic)

He came back irritated and started banging on the rig, thinking it might work again. Everyone was laughing and the joke came off perfectly. But then it backfired.

Marvin asked if he could now be heard and one of the guys in the group said "yes."  He then keyed up and repeated his whole 10 minute transmission almost word for word. And it was all my fault!"  

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

W2BX

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2020, 09:09:25 AM »

They’re probably used to SSB where “Over” helps others know when you’re done transmitting. AM has the benefit of a carrier drop. I’m sure I frustrate ops when I end transmissions without “Over” when on sideband.

On SSB... when you stop speaking, you're done transmitting.  Grin Grin Grin

They will figure it out eventually.  Smiley
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2020, 01:23:21 PM »

And don't say "Calling CQ." It's redundant.
w8khk

« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2020, 01:28:28 PM »

And so is 73s  - Best regardses??  73 will do nicely.

"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2020, 01:31:26 PM »

So, seven trees won't work anymore?

klc

What? Me worry?
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2020, 01:32:23 PM »

I've heard some saying, "Best 73s." Boggles the mind!
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2020, 02:36:50 PM »

Steve,

According to an internet definition, CQ means, “I wish to contact any amateur station.”

So, "calling CQ"   means,  "Calling I wish to contact any amateur station"....   which sounds strange.  So you are correct.

But I think we're stuck with it. It'd be very difficult to break 90+ years of "Calling CQ" ham tradition.  Just like the tradition of calling another ham "OM" is endearing - but probably offensive in the real whirl...  Grin

T

w8khk

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2020, 01:01:43 PM »

If your CQ does not solicit a reply, perhaps you need to use some MCW at the beginning, or add some sound bytes of a young lady's voice, with a bit of rhythm, melody, and harmony....

(It certainly sounds better on AM than on slopbucket.)

http://www.zerobeat.net/cq_serenade_en.mp3

If you don't get a direct response, maybe a mail response a bit later from the feces?  Clip out all except the MCW part, and you should be good to go....

Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2020, 01:50:55 PM »

Another thing comes to mind. We would often call CQ Europe "outside Europe", etc. We probably should have just said Calling Europe, etc.

Steve,

According to an internet definition, CQ means, “I wish to contact any amateur station.”

So, "calling CQ"   means,  "Calling I wish to contact any amateur station"....   which sounds strange.  So you are correct.

But I think we're stuck with it. It'd be very difficult to break 90+ years of "Calling CQ" ham tradition.  Just like the tradition of calling another ham "OM" is endearing - but probably offensive in the real whirl...  Grin

T
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015