The AM Forum
April 16, 2024, 05:23:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with a Heathkit SB101 power supply  (Read 2423 times)
K8DI
Contributing

« on: March 05, 2020, 04:59:42 PM »

I picked up a Heathkit SB101 and it’s external power supply last week. The supply rattled.... as you can see in the photo, a resistor was blown up and one half was loose. I cannot tell exactly where it’s supposed to be. There’s not an obvious ‘place it was’ mark nearby. I suspect it was to a ground lug on the capacitor (other caps have paralleled bleeders). Anyone know for sure?

* 9F557DA9-E6B7-468C-8826-26F7CE39BAEB.jpeg (3357.23 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 277 times.)

Ed, K8DI, warming the air with RF, and working on lighting the shack with thoriated tungsten and mercury vapor...
KK4YY

Your best isn't as good as you can be.

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 05:26:42 PM »

Lookup the schematic of your power supply here:
https://www.vintage-radio.info/heathkit/

All your worries won't add a day to your life, or make the ones you have any happier.
K8DI
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2020, 05:53:27 PM »

Lookup the schematic of your power supply here:
https://www.vintage-radio.info/heathkit/

Thanks for the link!  Found the schematic, verified it is a bleeder that goes to chassis.  Now to replace that, add a fuse holder, and a grounded power cord. If I can find room inside the chassis, a relay and separate power supply for it instead of running 120vac to the radio power switch, as well.  Then I will see if the radio itself is parts or a restoration....

Thanks,
Ed

Ed, K8DI, warming the air with RF, and working on lighting the shack with thoriated tungsten and mercury vapor...
KK4YY

Your best isn't as good as you can be.

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 07:34:21 PM »

Ed,

The resistors that didn't burn up may have drifted in value. Best to check them, at the very least. Those 2 watt carbon composition resistors are dissipating almost 1.7 watts each. This might be a good time to replace them all with 5 watt metal oxide film resistors (or better).

Those Heathkit power supplies are still in good demand. I bought a couple of their DC to DC supplies. With new caps and diodes they're as good as new.

Don

All your worries won't add a day to your life, or make the ones you have any happier.
K8DI
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2020, 08:25:02 PM »

The resistors that didn't burn up may have drifted in value.

I'm sure they have. Caps are probably dried out too... But first I'm going to see if the radio is restoration-worthy before I fully rebuild the power supply...I only need it to nominally work enough to bring the radio up on a variac to get some idea of its condition.

Ed

nq5t
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2020, 08:48:14 PM »

The resistors that didn't burn up may have drifted in value.

I'm sure they have. Caps are probably dried out too... But first I'm going to see if the radio is restoration-worthy before I fully rebuild the power supply...I only need it to nominally work enough to bring the radio up on a variac to get some idea of its condition.

Ed

You should probably consider one of these.   Easier than trying to do a one-piece at a time upgrade.  Excellent product …..https://www.theheathkitshop.com/page16/index.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015