The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:29:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shortwave and Government Broadcasts  (Read 5169 times)
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« on: March 01, 2020, 03:37:08 PM »

After hooking the SDR up this weekend and perusing the broadcast bands one thing has become clear.

It seems most authoritarian regimes, etc. have picked up the slack where a LOT of the smaller or cold war countries have just given up.

Looking around, I found a quote by a BBC engineer to the effect of, "Everytime we shut a site or frequency down, the Chinese seem to pop up.  Especially with developing country beams".

Are we, as the "voice of the western world" giving up on this?  I mean, IBC says they are dedicating the funds more to internet, etc.

But, how many people living in a cave or on the plains of Africa have internet access?  A serious question.

Would be interesting to hear what others think.  As the US drops farther and farther off the world stage, is this something we, as radio amateurs, feel should be picked back up?

On an aside, logged Pyonyang today.  Madagascar, New Zealand and a few other around the world countries yesterday afternoon and evening.  The stations are still there, just not as many as we used to have.

--Shane
KD6VXI

KK4YY

Your best isn't as good as you can be.

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 04:29:51 PM »

If you're worried about China, their shortwave broadcasts should be the least of you worries. But I won't go into that here.

All your worries won't add a day to your life, or make the ones you have any happier.
K9PNP

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 02:01:13 PM »

I basically agree with you.  Don't know how many people, except the rich maybe, have internet access.  I grew up listening to VOA and Radio Moscow; using the theory of "add the data from both up and divide by 2 and you may get 'true' information".  If my memory is correct, 'pravda' means 'truth' in Russian, which is a story all its own. And don't forget that reading is still not an absolute requirement in some countries.  Guess I'm just an OT that is used to old things.

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 03:57:25 PM »

I watched a video of the ABC shortwave shutdown.

The announcer had it spot on when he said.... Now people in the bush and desert will just have to stop what they are doing, set up the satellite link, boot up the laptop and start paying by the byte when they want information.

Yeah, that.

It's all propaganda, but do we really just want one side being told?

Guess I'm another old fart.

--Shane
KD6VXI
W1ITT

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 07:00:16 PM »

The US Agency for Global Media  (USAGM), formerly the Broadcasting Board of Governors, better known to real radio guys as the VOA has recently put out tenders for inspection for the purpose of defining maintenance and upgrades for all of its worldwide short wave transmitter sites.  Short wave is not completely moribund, and governments are realizing that the internet can be censored or shut down, especially in places where it is needed the most.  All is not yet lost.
73 de Norm W1ITT
K9PNP

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 01:14:39 PM »

The US Agency for Global Media  (USAGM), formerly the Broadcasting Board of Governors, better known to real radio guys as the VOA has recently put out tenders for inspection for the purpose of defining maintenance and upgrades for all of its worldwide short wave transmitter sites.  Short wave is not completely moribund, and governments are realizing that the internet can be censored or shut down, especially in places where it is needed the most.  All is not yet lost.
73 de Norm W1ITT
Good news, Norm.  Yes, you can try to jam RF if you have enough power, but it is hard to shut it down or censor it [to the way you want it] when the xmtr is in another country not really friendly to you.  Well, it is said by some that the Cold War is starting up again; maybe so.

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2020, 04:37:37 PM »

If only RCI would stop broadcasting on 7285!  Grin
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2020, 01:47:07 AM »

only RCI would stop broadcasting on 7285! 

I wuz listening to Tim HLR a couple days ago and he said the RCI is no longer on 7285?

I listen on the SDR's around here and I don't hear them. Tim said something about some small island country was relaying that signal on 7285 and that the government of the island shut the thing down.  What Island you ask? Beats me, just passing it on for what it's worth....  I do however hear some slopbuckets on 7299 LSB quacking away from time to time.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2020, 09:24:57 PM »

Wow! That is good news!
KK4YY

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2020, 07:36:22 PM »

If you're worried about China, their shortwave broadcasts should be the least of you worries. But I won't go into that here.
Called it.

All your worries won't add a day to your life, or make the ones you have any happier.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2020, 09:14:19 PM »

Now in these times may be some especially 'good listenin' on SWL since all regimes will be promugating their horchardenments.

There'll be more spin on the air than in all the particles in Schrodinger's cat's litter box.  Smiley

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
KK4YY

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2020, 11:52:30 AM »

Now in these times may be some especially 'good listenin' on SWL since all regimes will be promugating their horchardenments.

There'll be more spin on the air than in all the particles in Schrodinger's cat's litter box.  Smiley
The running dogs of our own legacy "news" media are already at full gallop. One need look no further than broadcast television to find a healthy plateful of crap. Just sit on the couch with your mind agape and let them spoon it all in.

W4EWH

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2020, 11:03:15 PM »

Please tell me what "horchardenments" means. TIA.

Bill, W4EWH

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2020, 07:08:32 PM »

It's nonsense.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2020, 09:36:55 PM »

"horchardenments" means.

Similar to Horsesh#t is what I make of it  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
W6TOM
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2020, 10:01:33 PM »

I prefer the term Poopagnda
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015