The AM Forum
April 17, 2024, 08:06:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies Featuring Amateur Radio  (Read 3042 times)
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« on: February 20, 2020, 10:39:33 AM »

I came across two videos that I’m sure many will enjoy.

<Spoiler - lots of boat anchors!>

The 1st one is a movie I found many years ago that really showcased the amateur radio hobby. I’ve tried to purchase the DVD but was never able to find anyone selling it. Spoke to a friend of mine who is a movie buff and he told me that due to the age it’s in the public domain.

The review described it as “A crusading reporter, is the brother of district attorney Stephens. The brothers are constantly at odds over Howard's news-gathering methods, which tend to interfere with the wheels of justice. Among Howard's amazing tricks are a series of short-wave transmitters planted around the city enabling him to get scoops fast. This network helps him out when he is kidnaped by a big-time hood who's sick of his nosing around. A small army of ham-radio enthusiasts comes to his rescue.”

I converted it to both AVI and MP4, so you can download either version. (right click on the file to download it)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1kBmKZoTwl2R-AFxqp21y4lPl6vvWxDOZ?usp=sharing

The 2nd one is a 1940’s Bell Systems promo on early mobile telephone technology. I especially got a kick out of the mobile equipment description and installation requirements!

https://youtu.be/xDy2tHCPdk8

n4joy

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 11:41:14 AM »

That was great!  Thanks for posting! 

Not a movie but anyone remember the Twilight Zone episode The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street?  That crazy ham is talking to aliens!  I occasionally have neighbors asking about all the wire and antennas hanging in my backyard!   
KK4YY

Your best isn't as good as you can be.

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 12:30:15 PM »

That was great!  Thanks for posting! 

Not a movie but anyone remember the Twilight Zone episode The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street?  That crazy ham is talking to aliens!  I occasionally have neighbors asking about all the wire and antennas hanging in my backyard!   
While doing antenna work one day, a passerby asked if I was hanging Christmas lights.

Yup.

All your worries won't add a day to your life, or make the ones you have any happier.
W0KPX

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 08:07:16 PM »

Thanks for posting these.  There is an article in the May 1939 issue of Radio magazine by an amateur who consulted on Grand Jury Secrets.  Ever since reading the article I had wanted to watch it.

Sean W0KPX
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 11:59:31 AM »

Do you have a link to the article, or do you recall what month?
N3GTE

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 04:27:13 PM »

Good flick! With Fred Mertz and a few other notables from the post war noir era. Methinks the article is here:  https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Radio/30s/Radio-1939-05.pdf

Tnx for posting
Terry N3GTE
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015