The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:51:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Clegg 22'er Jones Plug Wiring  (Read 8065 times)
ne7x

1936 Vintage AM/CW Station

« on: February 18, 2013, 12:56:20 PM »

I acquired a very clean Clegg 22er two meter AM transceiver, serial #622-072, at the Yuma hamfest. It did not come with the 12 pin Jones plug AC power cord, however checking my junk box I did find the correct plug, so now I need to wire it.

Using Google I cannot find the correct wiring schematic for the 22er I have, it appears there must be two different models. This is not the MK-II. I have been asked this several time.

The schematics I am finding on the internet show transformer T5 as a single iron
transformer which has both the low voltage filament and HV outputs lugs. The
22'er I have has a T5 iron transformer for only the low voltage filament with no
HV lugs and it. There is a separate torrid HV transformer, label "Triad TY-79."  (see attached pix)

When I google this it says its a TY-79 is at 12V input with 300V 200ma output transformer. Since the 22'er was designed to run on both 12V and 115V, this makes sense.

All wires from both transformers connect to the 12 pin Jones plug on the rear.

One other noted difference, all the manual pictures shown on the internet show a
1/4 inch phone plug on the front panel for the microphone. The 22'er I have has
a 4 pin case screw on communications type mic plug, like one used on Motorola
communications radios.

Both the torrid and mic connector look factory original. I examined very
closely, all solder connections are factory original and all wiring is factory
laced in the original wire harness. This does not appear to be an after market
modification. The 22'er is mint pristine inside.

Does anyone know where I can obtain the correct schematic for a Clegg 22er which has two power transformers so I can get this Jones plug wired so I can figure out how the plug needs to be wired/jumpered for 115VAC?

Thanks. Thomas...
http://ne7x.com

* TY-79.JPG (123.54 KB, 640x480 - viewed 642 times.)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 03:51:54 PM »

In looking at the serial number, I would suspect this is a very early 22'er. Does the label say Squires Sanders or Clegg on it? As far as I can tell, and I have all the Clegg documentation that Ed Clegg had in his possession before he became a silent key, only one multi-winding power transformer was used in the 22'er, 66'er, 22'er FM, and 22'er MK II. I even have the large engineering schematic for the 22'er which is identical (although smaller) to the one in the manual.

This could have been a beta production model before it was decided to use a custom single transformer. Or, the original transformer failed after use, and either the factory or the user decided, for whatever reason (maybe original transformer was no longer available) to use a filament transformer and a toroidal transformer to generate the necessary voltages. Might be hard to tell even if the current wiring, soldering, and lacing look original. Probably depends on the person doing the wiring changes.

I suspect you're going to be on your own here. I would start with the original Jones plug wiring, with the appropriate jumpers in place, and hand trace the various AC connections to see if they make sense. For testing, you might want to lift the HV output from the rest of the circuity until you're sure it's going where you want it to go. An alternate solution would be to find a junker 22'er or 66'er with a "good" transformer and drop that in place and get rid of what you have there.

As far as I can tell, Clegg/Squires Sanders, on their amateur equipment, never used the 4 pin Amphenol type connectors for their microphone connections. Of course, if it was an early beta type build, they might have tried them. Or, a highly skilled user could have enlarged the original microphone jack hole, and installed one. They didn't use them on their CB sets either from what I remember.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
ne7x

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 04:20:06 PM »

Pete WA2CWA

Thanks for the nice detail response to my query.

I checked again, its just "too" clean of an installation, both transformers. Everything looks totally factory original. All the wires for both transformers are dressed square and laced deep inside the main wiring harness. If the transformers were replaced or modified, this would not be the case. Another fact, the wiring color/type and the resistors/capacitors used across the toroid transformer terminals match, are the same make, color and case styles. Matter of fact the entire radio looks perfect, no modifications or wiring changes anywhere. I have been in this hobby (and business) too long, so I can spot a modification.

The label on the rear says:

Clegg Laboratories
Div of Squires-Sanders, Inc.
Mt. Tabor. N.J.
Model: 22'er
Serial: 622-072

Do you have an info on this serial number?

Using Google I found many pictures of the 22'er on the internet. Another thing I noticed, the radio I have has all the tube V-numbers and tube numbers stenciled on the chassis. Most (not all) of the photos found on the internet does not.

Here is a link to the TY-79 transformer data sheet.
http://www.triadtransformers.com/ty73.html
It does not list the pin outs.

I believe you are correct. This must be some sort of Beta radio or prototype. Its too clean looking not to be working. I feel all I need to do is get the Jones plug wired correctly. I would hate to make a simple jumper error and cause damage.

Thomas NE7X...

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 05:53:02 PM »

Yours was made in Ed's original factory on Route 15 in Mt. Tabor. This was where the first Zeus, Interceptor, Climaster 62T10, and 99'er rigs were made.
My 22'er label says:
Squires Sanders Inc.
Millington, NJ
Model 22'er
Serial: 1901-241

I doubt any of the beta production rigs ever had schematics formally issued. The schematics I have say Issue 1. If I remember correctly, the 22'er was the first one released, and then came the 66'er. Over the years, I've had several 22'ers and 66'ers and none of them had two transformers.

Ed had his own work area in his first location where he diddled with new and existing designs while everyone else was in production and building mode. Somewhere I remember seeing several photos of his work area. I actually visited him, along with the editor of the "The VHF Amateur" Magazine at the Mt. Tabor factory when I was 16 or 17. Cool stuff seeing the hand wiring assembly production line.

ne7x

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 11:46:27 AM »

From what I am learning, the Clegg 22'er is designed to run on both 115VAC or 12VDC. The radio I have has two power transformers.

1) Iron transformer, has 115VAC input, 6/12 volt outputs.
2) Toroid transformer, has 12VAC input, 300VAC 200ma output.

From what I can tell, without the correct schematic, the 12VAC output from the Iron transformer feeds both the tube filaments and a two transistor multi-vibratior circuit which feeds the HV toroid. All connections for both transformer circuits connect to the 12 pin Jones plug on the rear of the radio.

To run the radio on 12VDC only, the iron transformer would not be required or in the circuit.

So what I need is how to wire/jumper the 12 pin Jones plug for 115VAC operation. The schematics I am finding on the internet is only for a single iron transformer (T5) which has both the filament and HV windings.

Thomas NE7X...
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 01:19:46 PM »

Looks like a neat excercise in logic.
From what you and Pete have found, you might try getting out the ol' ohm-meter and tracing out each pin on the Cinch Jones to likely inputs/outputs on the transformers, switches and fuse holders, etc. for the wires you can't see.

Ring it out and draw up a diagram.  I think there'd be a distinct "ahah" moment for the 12volt and 110vac circuits. It will likely fall together with about half the tracings correct and the rest following the logic tree of the first half of the traces. 

RICK  *W3RSW*
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 01:47:07 PM »

If you make the decision to just run it on 115AC, then the tracing tree probably would become even easier. The original schematic showed plug wiring/jumpers for 115AC, 12 V negative ground, and 12 V positive ground. Basically, all you probably need to do is to get 115V AC to the filament transformer, and 12V AC from it back to the toroid transformer. If you want the capability of 115 V AC and 12 V DC, then the wiring tracing becomes a little more involved. I would eliminate the plug jumpers and wire directly to the appropriate spots.

ne7x

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 05:14:07 PM »

The HV torrid transformer has 11 (eleven) pins.  Here is the data sheet.

http://www.triadtransformers.com/ty73.html

There are 4 output pins, two separate windings tied in series which go to the bridge rectifiers. This is easy to identify. So this leaves 7 pins.

Per the data sheet there are three primary windings, there looks to be one main CT and two secondary smaller.

I did some tracing using an ohm meter, following the wire colors/stripes, and the multi-vibrator transistors are connected direct to main HV torrid primary winding. So I am not quite sure how I need to inject 12VAC in.

Tracing the wires from the 12VAC output from the iron transformer, it feeds into the multi-vibrator circuit, which then feeds to the HV torrid transformer. So I assuming the multi-vibrator circuit needs to active to drive the torrid HV transformer. This is were the correct wiring diagram would help

Thomas NE7X...
W2NNG

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2020, 04:23:59 PM »

Tom,
 I have a 22er s/n 622-071 HELP
                                                   W2NNG  john
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015