The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:38:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hallicrafters S-20R  (Read 2650 times)
AG5UM

« on: February 08, 2020, 09:46:32 PM »

Powered up, Electronics completed, finished re-stringing etc. getting close to alignment time.
should be a nice one, nice original paint and lettering,original speaker,etc.
it already plays on all bands, nice and loud, next- on to alignment,etc.
should be a fun radio. Hallicrafters S-20R, not their flagship model,but cool, I think its a keeper for the collection.
73's
AG5UM

W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 02:00:29 PM »

Why waste your time fixing your own radio when you can just buy this!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1939-Hallicrafters-S20R-Shortwave-Receiver-Total-Restoration/293468604734?hash=item445417893e:g:PToAAOSwzYteQKEz

Dan
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 04:04:22 PM »

"Tube sockets buffed to better than new condition"
Hmmm

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
KC4VWU

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 06:26:39 PM »

Kinda makes you want to take a peek under the chassis, doesn't it? I'll be watching that one since I have 4 of those waiting on restoration and I will be taking orders soon... "special pricing" $600 each.

Seriously though, I know I'll take a few elbows to the ribs for this, but the S-20R is a decent rx. that looks pretty cool and works O.K. That being said, the pinnacle of that chassis is the SX-110 which does perform a heck of a lot better and has a just as cool '60's retro look.
WD4DMZ

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 10:48:50 PM »

About 5 or 6 years go I was given the dregs of an estate sale for a few $$. Included was an S20-R. After recapping, some alignment and a minimum of wiping (and swapped a 6F6 to replace a 6V6 as I recall) it came alive and performs really well. It is my garage SW radio. Whoever had it added a small S meter on the top front that works pretty well. Other than that, it is original, which is the way I like them, scratches, dents and all.

Rich

AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 03:41:54 PM »

Pardon me while I barf....seller would have been better off doing a WA2PJP back to better than new but original restoration rather than the tarted up resto-mod, especially the cat’s eye tube addition.  It will be interesting to see what he finally sells it for.  Maybe be should take a pencil and write “W2VJZ”on the chassis as an added touch.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
AG5UM

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 05:40:32 PM »

Well...my original POST rebuild is going well, Its fun to listen to while I'm working on it.
This one is very original and nice, a pleasure to work on. The S-20R, while not a SX-28,etc. etc.
Is a pre-WW2 General coverage receiver, not just a communications bands only receiver nice for the collection.
Many people, especially non-hams, enjoy listening to World-wide Broadcast and local AM stations.
Here we have local AM "Metal Rock", Country, etc. AM stations to listen to.
I like to have a few General coverage radios in my collection, for world-wide broadcast, etc.
Anyway, My project is going well, Its been a Fun project, going together nicely.
Opinions.....everybody has one,   Makes collecting Fun.
73'
AG5UM
AG5UM

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 06:15:55 PM »

I should have mentioned in my original post,
This Radio, Hallicrafters S-20R,  Belongs to my Dad, I'm rebuilding it for him.
He's 80 years young, listens to world broadcasts, the AM Ham guys,etc. ,Not much of the Side-banders,
Has no need for triple conversion for side-bander pile-ups.
It's my Dads radio, It won't be on Ebay.
73's
AG5UM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015