The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:27:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: W1AW AM now on 3885 Gates xmtr  (Read 1796 times)
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« on: January 04, 2020, 08:27:59 PM »

8:00 PM EST Jan 4

Heavy Metal Rally
fair pile up
everyone being courteous.
8:27 ,  Tron just worked them.

The Op credits Tron in the Gates rework description.
Op is Bob, WB1GCM I believe.

RICK  *W3RSW*
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 08:54:38 PM »

That credit is well-deserved. Tim is an ambassador of AM!

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
N3HQB

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 09:27:53 PM »

Fun  pileup on AM.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 12:00:18 AM »

There must be a lot of stations just listening to the AM activity on any given night. We were having a QSO with four of us on 3880 when Bob/GCM at W1AW broke in.  Within minutes there was wave after wave of AM stations calling in to work W1AW.

Bob sounded great on that big "TimTronized" Gates BC transmitter. I commented on how fortunate we are to still have AM since it was almost outlawed 35 years ago thru docket 20777. I was at that meeting in Dayton and saw the contempt the FCC had for AM at the time.

It seems we had the perfect storm in our favor after the docket was postponed for review and then later the ARRL got a new president who was bullish on AM. Bob said that the prez asked him to find a big BC transmitter for the ARRL to do it in a big way.... and they did it in spades.  It always brings a smile to my face when I hear W1AW on hi-fi AM with a crushing signal only 20 miles away. It's really historic.  

I've had the chance to be on the air the last week or so and had forgotten just how many great sounding AMers there are now. There isn't just a handful, but there are many many with all kinds of big rigs these days and most sounding excellent.  I believe we may be experiencing  a cycle bull market in AM popularity - not seen for many decades.

Enjoy it and let's help others to advance their skills.  There's nothing better than 50-100 KHz filled with hi-fi AM stations in an AM event.  The AM Rally is coming up and W1AW expects to be holding court with a team of operators.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015