The AM Forum
April 23, 2024, 02:13:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Homebrew cheapy mike 'boom'  (Read 6937 times)
kenw2dtc
« on: April 27, 2005, 06:52:35 AM »

http://w2dtc.com/w2dtc-mike-boom-page.htm
N3WWL
Founding

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 07:18:04 AM »

Nice idea, Ken.  Several years ago, I used an old articulated lamp arm...very similar to the commercial spring type mic booms.  For ten bucks, one could purchase a lamp at the local department store, cut the springs for heavier support, and add a mic clip.  I've since purchased a commercial version as the RE-20 was a bit heavy for the homebrew boom.  My Shure SM-58 with A55-M mount (courtesy of Ken) would work nicely, as this combination is not so heavy.
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 12:30:44 PM »

That's exactly what I did Jay. I bought a $9.95 arm lamp from Ikea and modified it. Works great with either the B1 or MD-421 but like you say, the RE-20 is a bit to heavy for the cheapie arm.... Those Luxo booms are real expensive! whew!

Quote from: N3WWL
Nice idea, Ken.  Several years ago, I used an old articulated lamp arm...very similar to the commercial spring type mic booms.  For ten bucks, one could purchase a lamp at the local department store, cut the springs for heavier support, and add a mic clip.  I've since purchased a commercial version as the RE-20 was a bit heavy for the homebrew boom.  My Shure SM-58 with A55-M mount (courtesy of Ken) would work nicely, as this combination is not so heavy.
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 12:32:12 PM »

Real nice shack you have there Ken!... Is that an R75 I see? (I just bought one)

Quote from: kenw2dtc
kenw2dtc
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 01:25:37 PM »

Hi Glen,

The photo obscures some of the equipment.  Perhaps you were looking at my IC-718 which is my VFO for my Viking II.  To get a better look at the station, check out:

http://w2dtc.com/w2dtc-radio-station-equipment-page.htm

Ken W2DTC
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2005, 01:53:10 PM »

Very impressive shack Ken. Yes, the 718.... looks almost identical to the r-75. That's quite an expensive VFO ya got there sonny!.. but stable!

Love the big Gates unit!!!

Quote from: kenw2dtc
Hi Glen,

The photo obscures some of the equipment.  Perhaps you were looking at my IC-718 which is my VFO for my Viking II.  To get a better look at the station, check out:

http://w2dtc.com/w2dtc-radio-station-equipment-page.htm

Ken W2DTC
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005, 06:30:52 PM »

Ken - Terrific Idea! BTW, will u be at the 'Fester this weekend?

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015