The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:56:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elecraft K3  (Read 3008 times)
N4DJ

« on: December 26, 2019, 04:17:35 PM »

Is anyone using the Elecraft K3? I am about to buy the AM filter (there are two) and was wondering which one was preferred. I probably will go with the widest one.
nq5t
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 11:09:29 PM »

The 6 KHz filter is the preferred filter for AM receive, although the 13 KHz filter works ok.   Unless you want the 13 KHz filter for FM also, buy the 6 KHz filter.  The receive bandwidth is limited to around 4KHz AUDIO bandwidth (8 KHz RF equivalent) in the DSP.  (I don't recall the exact number offhand).  So one or the other filter won't have an effect. 

If you use SYNC AM (you should), you'll get the maximum receive bandwidth you can get with the 6KHz filter.  It will hear better in QRM conditions. The SHIFT control allows you to pick either the upper or lower AM sideband for best reception when using SYNC AM

The filter selection won't have an effect on transmit audio, which I think is a hair under 4 KHz (audio bandwidth again).  The K3 reports AM bandwidth as an effective AUDIO bandwidth and not RF bandwidth.
N4DJ

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 11:28:58 AM »

Thanks. I will check out the SYNC AM more. At first I thought it was like receiving AM in the SSB mode on my R4C, but I think that was called exalted carrier mode at one time. The SYNC mode on the K3 seems different. Like it auto tunes to the carrier frequency.  I probably made a mistake but I ordered he 13 kHz filter before your comment. Once I get it I will be able to transmit with the K3 and play with the bandwidth control and see if the QRM is a problem. I have no idea how much I will use the K3 on AM vs my Johnson Ranger II and vintage receivers. 
W1NB

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 08:52:02 PM »

I operate my K3 regularly on AM. Audio reports are respectable and I don’t need to retune if I change frequency.

FWIW, I have mine set up with the 13khz filter available on AM (receive) and narrow it up only when needed, which is only occasionally.

-Scott
N4DJ

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 08:05:01 AM »

Scott
Thanks for the info. I expect my 13 kHz filter to arrive any day.
Don
N4DJ
N4DJ

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 04:08:56 PM »

I finally got my 13KHz AM filter for the K3.
The manual does not give very much AM info. Apparently you set the K3 for 100 watts output and when in the AM mode it automatically cuts back to 25 watts out on the carrier. The meter then reads 25 watts output under no modulation. With modulation it appears to read PEP output.  It jumps up to 100 as I talk. (This may be different with earlier software versions. Mine has the latest as of January 18. 2020)  Watching the old Drake wattmeter it stays steady at 25 watts. Agreeing with the K3 meter.  With the K3 on CW, I tuned my Drake L7 for about 1200 watts output on CW. Switching back to AM, The unmodulated carrier from the L7 is about 300 watts. With modulation, the Drake wattmeter stays steady at about 300 watts out.
All this appears normal and was expected. The modulation on the scope looks quite good. In fact it looks better than my Viking Ranger! I don't know how it sounds, but it looks pretty on the scope! 
My first QSOs last night did not indicate any problems. 

Don
N4DJ
W1NB

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 06:45:18 PM »

Don, there is setting in the menu for ESSB. That will widen out the audio bandwidth. Once you change that, look on Bob Heil’s web site. He has recommended starting points for setting the TX EQ. They are listed as settings for ESSB but they worked well for me on AM.

Hope to hear you on the air.

-Scott
N4DJ

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 05:28:10 PM »

Scott,
Thanks for the tip. I have not been to that website for quite a while!
Way back when I got a Heil boom mike headset it did not work with my Drake T4XC.
Bob Heil suggested I get a Behringer mixer. Now many years later I am still using it but on my AM radios! I have gotten reports that I could use more highs and have been slowly bumping it up. From Heil website I see he suggests much much more than I have just to start!
Thanks again. Hope see you on 160, 80 or 40 one of these days.
Don
N4DJ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015