The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:35:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Composite Resistors ?  (Read 1897 times)
W4DNR

« on: December 24, 2019, 02:33:54 PM »

Hello Group !   Merry Christmas /  Happy Holidays

Where can I still get carbon composite resistors to keep them "oldies" looking "stock" ?

I need a couple of 10 ohm 2 watt A&B  composites.

Don W4DNR

KK4YY

Your best isn't as good as you can be.

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 04:16:04 PM »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Watt-5-10-Ohm-Carbon-Composition-Resistor-NOS/153676273464?hash=item23c7d1d738:g:Ej8AAOSwATpdm85h

All your worries won't add a day to your life, or make the ones you have any happier.
WA4WAX

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 04:42:30 PM »

Skycraft Surplus in Winter Park, FL has loads of carbon resistors in just about any RETMA value. 

Also, good range in wattage.

They will ship if you order enough stuff.

Good luck.
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 07:29:43 PM »

https://www.elliottelectronicsupply.com/resistors/carbon-comp.html

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
kb2vxa

I modulate, therefore AM

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2019, 09:23:09 AM »

Beware of NOS carbon comp resistors, heat isn't the only thing that makes them drift out of tolerance, age is a big contributing factor.

If you think I'm nuts I don't mind, it's always a good idea to test any kind of resistors you buy or have in your goodie box, they may be out of tolerance from the factory. On my last job as electrical QC inspector I also did incoming. For one job I had to sort 1% metal film resistors into 3 groups of very tight, something like .001% tolerance with a super accurate NIST calibrated Wayne Kerr analyzer. They were supplied by a big name company, so you would think they'd be within marked tolerance, right? No such luck, every one was WAY out, so I took them to the plant manager who returned them and received another batch. Guess what? Yep, THEY were no good either, the manager threw a fit! I could never blame him for getting upset over any problem, every job was working against a deadline. That's how it is making components for military contractors, a late delivery not only results in loss of the contract, but also a heavy fine, it's serious business! All is well that ends well, the third delivery was OK and we finished just under the wire. <whew>

You can save yourself a lot of grief wondering why your latest project went haywire, NEVER trust a supplier's QC, always do your own so Justin Case prevails over Murphy. I'm giving you this "warning" simply because those resistors, brand new metal film resistors, were SO far out of tolerance I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't experience it myself. You may never have this problem, but you'll always come out on top when you make friends with Justin Case.

73 de Warren KB2VXA
Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.
WA4WAX

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2019, 12:40:43 PM »

BTW, resistors have a voltage coefficient as well as a temperature coefficient.

Merry Christmas to all!

http://www.barthelectronics.com/pdf_files/Application%20note%201%20Voltage%20Coefficient%20Products_Pulse%20Page.pdf
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015