The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:54:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: K8VWX (ROY) Silent Key  (Read 4518 times)
kf2vm

« on: December 12, 2019, 09:06:21 AM »

Greetings all,

It is with a heavy heart I report the passing of Roy, (K8VWX). He passed on Monday December 9th.

I first met Roy on 40 meters A.M., Circa 1979/1980. He was always patient with my incessant questions and fishing for audio reports.

A look at his QRZ page will reveal his impeccable homebrewing skills.

Best Regards
                                                                                                   Jamie
                                                                                                  (N2VJ)
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 10:17:43 PM »

So sorry to hear this. I recall listening to Roy way back in the 70s and a SWL. I always enjoyed listening and then later talking with him, once I got my license. He'll be missed. RIP.
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 09:24:39 AM »

I'm sorry to hear this.  (Thanks Jamie.)  In the latest years, I think Roy was in the group heard on 3695 in the mornings.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 08:41:28 PM »

sorry to hear about this. Too many good people passing on.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 09:12:45 AM »

So sorry to hear this news.  He was very active just below 3.7 MHz each morning and always had a great signal. 

Always a very nice guy to talk with and a very respected individual by many. 

Let his legacy set a great example for many to follow.

Joe-GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
WB4AIO
WB4AIO
Contributing

Better fidelity means better communication.

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2019, 12:45:24 PM »

Roy was a real gentleman. Even recently, when years and years had passed between QSOs, he remembered me and even remembered to ask about my friend WA4GGL Chuck. He and Chuck and I used to talk often on 3785 AM back around 1982-1990.

Seems like just yesterday he was talking about his entertaining encounters with customers he met at his job at the local hardware store (at the age of 90!).

Nothing is permanent, especially life. Tell people what you want to tell them now; they may be gone tomorrow.

Kevin, WB4AIO.

W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2019, 04:24:23 PM »

Oh man, I am sorry to hear about Roy! I was just thinking about him. I think it was last week when I heard him say that he was 91 years old. I remember he and I took an on line test to get an estimate of how long we may live depending on our live styles. I think I came up with something like 85 that I would reach. Roy came up with 115 years. Well he didn't make the mark but if he did, that would have been wonderful!

Roy was one of the last of people who just send you stuff via email and the last email he sent me was on Nov 11, 2019 and it was entitled Memories Of The Past. I'm going to miss old Roy both on the air and on my email account.

RIP Roy   Sad Sad Sad

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2019, 09:04:09 AM »

Wow, his signal will definitely be missed on 160! One of the most friendly fellows I had the privilege of meeting on the air!

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2019, 02:10:55 PM »

Colombiana’s finest.

Brings back memories of his great on air presence.
Yeah I bet a bunch of us miss him.

God Speed Roy.

RICK  *W3RSW*
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015