The AM Forum
April 18, 2024, 11:21:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Modifying BIRD slugs?  (Read 6849 times)
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« on: December 05, 2019, 11:33:05 AM »

Reaching out for alternate ideas.
I’ve been in search of a Bird 10H slug (2-30 mhz / 10W). It looks like they never made one or at some point it went out of production.

I installed the peak and hold board in my Bird watt meter, and I’d like to use the combination with some low power projects I’m working on.

Has anyone ever modified a higher power slug, say the 50W slug to shift the power range?
K4RT
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 12:19:11 PM »

I think the 10H was discontinued. I don't have any ideas for modifications, but could you elaborate on the peak and hold board you installed in your Bird?

Brad
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 02:58:33 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrGv8IoY-qA

Here's what I installed - same as above but less $$
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bird-43-Thruline-Peak-PEP-WattMeter-Element-Kit-2x-5x-Multiplier-New/330734806000?epid=1453231057&hash=item4d0154a3f0:g:uiUAAOSwZ1lWgaKQ
KK4YY

Your best isn't as good as you can be.

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 05:51:35 PM »

Apparently, Bird doesn't make a slug less than 25W in that frequency range. Perhaps it's physically impossible to fit a correct line section in the standard 43 slug housing. Directional couplers get larger/longer as frequency decreases. You might be pushing the limit a bit.

https://www.rfparts.com/bird25h.html

Don

All your worries won't add a day to your life, or make the ones you have any happier.
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 08:17:07 PM »

Bird did make a 10 and a 5 Watt.  It was specifically for Cb radio, and as such was a very limited run.

They do pop up on eBay now and then, but not cheap and don't last if buy it now.

Good luck, my 10 Watt is made of unobtanium lol.

--Shane
KD6VXI
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 08:31:02 PM »

I installed the same kit you did. Functionally it is very nice, but some awkward construction steps for me. The PCB would not sit flat on the back of my meter. I had to improvise. Still, a good bang for the buck.

I have both a 50W and 500W slug for 2-30Mhz. That gives me a lot of flexibility with the X1, X2, X5 switch.

I never have tried to shift the calibration of a slug, but on multiple times I have had to pop off the slug cover and work the calibration pot back and forth to "clean" a dirty spot on the pot. It is helpful to mark the pot position first and then try to get the pot position restored to its prior position.

Jim
KK4YY

Your best isn't as good as you can be.

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 01:22:03 AM »

I have a relatively inexpensive (cost less than a single Bird 43 slug) used Diawa SWR/Power meter that I bought on eBay. I borrowed a Bird 43 from a friend and calibrated the Diawa to the Bird. Voila! Close enough.

All your worries won't add a day to your life, or make the ones you have any happier.
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2019, 08:29:35 AM »

Don't buy into the hype with the peak multiplier boards.

The bird 45 scale isn't linear, it's logarithmic.

Bird makes a linear scale metwe that does have multiple ranges with one slug.

Those multiplier kits are only accurate in any way at the power level calibrated.

Peak kit wise, good stuff.  Expanding your slug collection wise, crap.

--Shane
KD6VXI
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2019, 03:00:00 PM »

Don't buy into the hype with the peak multiplier boards.

The bird 45 scale isn't linear, it's logarithmic.

Bird makes a linear scale metwe that does have multiple ranges with one slug.

Those multiplier kits are only accurate in any way at the power level calibrated.

Peak kit wise, good stuff.  Expanding your slug collection wise, crap.

--Shane
KD6VXI

Shane, The Bird meter has three scales, 25, 50, 100. All are increasingly crunched on the right side.

My experience with the 1X, 2X, 5X range switch on the kit mentioned earlier is that the X1 can be set to meet the original Bird accuracy if you have a good standard. The 2X and 5X ranges seem to add inaccuracy above and below the calibration point, but even at that, I don't think it is too bad. If the X1 is at 5% accuracy, then the multiplied ranges might be at 10-15% away from the cal point. I could have spoke better on this after I installed the kit, but memory fades...been a few years. Still on the original 9v battery.

Jim
Wd5JKO
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2019, 04:44:15 PM »

My experience with the 1X, 2X, 5X range switch on the kit mentioned earlier is that the X1 can be set to meet the original Bird accuracy if you have a good standard. The 2X and 5X ranges seem to add inaccuracy above and below the calibration point, but even at that, I don't think it is too bad. If the X1 is at 5% accuracy, then the multiplied ranges might be at 10-15% away from the cal point.
Jim
Wd5JKO
[/quote]

Jim, you forgot to say that the accuracy is 5% at Full Scale.  I gave up on Bird several years back because of what Shane said and have gone to an LP-100.  Across the bands it has better accuracy although guaranteed to be 5% too.  Not only that it reads from less than one watt to which ever coupler you have.

He also makes a dual coupler version and the cost for a standard LP-100A is less than a Bird with a complete set of slugs.  The slugs for the HF band are really expensive these days.  I had a set of them that I sold at a hamfest for almost $100 each, 50 watt, 100 watt, 500 watt, 1 KW and 2.5 KW.  Then the meter brought an additional $150.
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2019, 09:17:05 PM »

"Jim, you forgot to say that the accuracy is 5% at Full Scale.  I gave up on Bird several years back because of what Shane said and have gone to an LP-100.  Across the bands it has better accuracy although guaranteed to be 5% too.  Not only that it reads from less than one watt to which ever coupler you have.

He also makes a dual coupler version and the cost for a standard LP-100A is less than a Bird with a complete set of slugs.  The slugs for the HF band are really expensive these days.  I had a set of them that I sold at a hamfest for almost $100 each, 50 watt, 100 watt, 500 watt, 1 KW and 2.5 KW.  Then the meter brought an additional $150.
[/quote]"

Hi Jim, good to hear from you. Yea, the Bird 43 is Legendary, yet old technology. I have 3 slugs here, and the meter. At one point nothing worked...put on the shelf for years. Later found out it was the pot in each slug has a tendency to get a bad wiper connection, perhaps due to storage in my garage. Was able to bring two slugs back from the dead. I lost my 1KW slug!

I am aware of the 5% at full scale spec which can be far worse at 1/2 or 1/3 scale. It is what it is. Doing an at home cal usually means setting the cal at a specific point, so the accuracy might be best there, even if 1/2 scale.

I almost bought the Telepost replacement for the LP-100. I was on the waiting list for almost 1 year, and when my time was up, it was Tax time! I let it go... Cry

Jim
Wd5JKO
W4RFM

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2019, 09:20:08 PM »

My company is the Bird distributor for Broadcast sales.  If you like I can contact the powers that be and ask any particular question or if any certain piece is available: off the shelf or at a price.  Bob W4RFM

BOB / W4RFM  \\\\\\\"I have looked far and wide, (I also checked near and narrow)\\\\\\\"
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2019, 10:18:32 AM »

My company is the Bird distributor for Broadcast sales.  If you like I can contact the powers that be and ask any particular question or if any certain piece is available: off the shelf or at a price.  Bob W4RFM

I'd like to know if they had any NOS 10W slugs (or even a 25W slug) , or if there is any plans to have one in the future.
It's ridiculous how the price on HF slugs is so much more expensive compared to others. No technical reason to justify the price difference.
Thanks for offering
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2019, 02:02:24 PM »

Don't forget, Coaxial Dynamics also sells compatible slugs.

Sometimes they have stock available when Bird doesn't, and vice versa.

--Shane
KD6VXI
K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2019, 05:45:38 PM »

I'd like to know if they had any NOS 10W slugs (or even a 25W slug) , or if there is any plans to have one in the future.
It's ridiculous how the price on HF slugs is so much more expensive compared to others. No technical reason to justify the price difference.
Thanks for offering

FWIW,  for a 25W Bird Slug:

https://www.martinrfsupply.com/h-series-2-30-mhz-54.aspx

GL,   Vic
kb2vxa

I modulate, therefore AM

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2019, 10:36:27 AM »

Likely stating the obvious and adding to an earlier comment about at lower frequencies directional couplers get longer, the lower the frequency the more power is needed in a specific length to get a decent meter deflection. That's a good reason why Bird doesn't make low power low frequency slugs.

Deer slugs have the most stopping power, but bird slugs would make quite a mess. (;->)

"Bird did make a 10 and a 5 Watt.  It was specifically for Cb radio, and as such was a very limited run."
That one would require about 100W on 160M and reminds me of Roger Nye The FCC Guy, a field engineer for the New York City area. He was such a dope he made the average retarded person look brilliant. Back in my CB daze he had a personal vendetta against CB pissing off every CBer in the area until we ganged up on him with a barrage of complaint letters to his boss that landed him a desk job in Baltimore. When he inspected my station he tried to screw an N connector into an SO-239 until I handed him the correct jumper, then he wondered why the Bird 43 gave no reading. He had a 100W 450MHz slug in it, I handed him the fore mentioned 10W 27MHz slug. He twisted the dials on the antique heterodyne type frequency meter way too fast to find zero beat, wrote me up for a few crystals being off frequency and transmitter output of 6W. How he came up with that figure is beyond me. At the local CB shop our friend Tom Caruso, a Linden, NJ Amateur Extra (SK) narrowed it down to one with his National Bureau of Standards (now NIST) calibrated counter and replaced the crystal. HIS Bird 43 showed a legal 4W, so he filled out the form and signed it with his 1st Phone (pre GROL) number and mailed it out. To tie the ribbons on, I worked with his replacement a few times, a very nice person, to resolve a few TVI issues to everybody's satisfaction. There you have living proof you can attract more flies with sugar than with vinegar, and while the FCC is easy to work with you may occasionally find a clinker.

Oh before I forget, he was dumber than dog poo for yet another reason, his home phone number was in the directory. I drove by his house and wrote down the make, model, and color of his car including the plate number. I started a joke, that started him crying. ( A modified Bee Gees lyric.) I broadcast that info far and wide, I disclaim any responsibility for what happened next. ROTFLMAO! In the words of Bugs Bunny, ain't I a stinkah?

There's your funny story for today, I hope you enjoyed it.

73 de Warren KB2VXA
Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2019, 02:11:42 PM »

All options considered, I think I'll keep my eyes open for a used LP-100A and reassign my Bird to my VHF and UHF work. I do appreciate all the input and suggestions! Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015