The AM Forum
April 18, 2024, 04:51:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Early Birthday Present - Vibroplex 100th Anniversary Bug  (Read 14482 times)
W1UJR
« on: April 22, 2005, 09:05:06 PM »

Last year you may have read that Vibroplex was releasing a very special "bug" (speed key) for their 100th anniversary.

From the Vibroplex ad copy:
"The Vibroplex 100th Anniversary original bug features a weathered, black Japan-like power coat with the distinctive gold pin striping and gold leaves in the corners. Vibroplex serial plate is uniquely engraved for this special edition key."

Since I am becoming an old buzzard, I figured it was time that I had a true old buzzard key, so I splurged and ordered one. I waited, and waited, and waited, and then received an email. It seems that the good folks at Vibroplex were having problems with the company who had been making their stamped metal labels for the keys. I was given to understand this company had been doing this for decades, but was no longer to fulfill orders.

So Vibroplex was most gracious informed those on the list the project was on hold, until they could locate an alternative vendor for the tags. I received an email about a month ago that the project was moving forward and the keys would be sent out soon.

So it was with both great delight and anticipation when a package showed up at the office today from Vibroplex. I'm not sure my employees understood my excitement, but I was like a kid on Christmas day as I carefully unwrapped my new bug, serial # 77, for the packing.

Wow, exceeded my expectations – well worth the wait, I don't even want to sit it out on the desk to get dirty, very much a work of art. Black lacquer finish, gold leaf stripe and detail work, it just looks so Buzzardly. I had intended to take a photo, but left my digital camera at the office, so I will post later.

If you use a bug, or like bugs, or just want to look like an Official Old Buzzard, you really need to check out these keys, fantastic.

A pix, next to the Hartley TX and HRO.

Just wanted to share the joy.

73 Bruce

WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2005, 12:15:17 AM »

BEAUTIFUL Bug you got there Bruce !!!

I've been using a Blue Racer since I was a JN in '68.
It was given to me new in the box and still sealed in a plastic
wrapper. It was a congrats from my elmer WA8MXU, Ken Henthorn (SK), for passing the novice exam. He gave it to me on the day my first ticket (WN8NQN) arrived !!!

You'll see it on the desk at  http://www.wd8bil.com

Have many years of enjoyment with your new treasure. Use it often!
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2005, 04:14:00 AM »

It looks like the parts are still chrome plated, though.  The early ones used nickel plated brass.

I picked up a 1929 model at Dayton a few years ago.  Was able to talk the guy waaay down in price because it was in such deplorable condition from many years of  hard use and hard abuse.  I had to straighten out some bent parts, and it took hours to clean it up, but once I got it working, it has been velvet smooth.  I have another post WW2 Original, but it was always very stiff and had loads of contact bounce that I never could correct.  The 1929 one has negligible bounce.  It was apparently used commercially in land line telegraphy, because the bakelite thumb piece was actually worn concave from use.  I doubt a ham could wear the plastic down that much even from decades over the air.

The only problem with it is that the pivot bearing assembly on the lever has a tremendous amount of slop from wear, but that may be why it has such a smooth feeling to it.  Once I got that bug running, 3 or 4 years ago, I put my iambic electronic keyer on the shelf and it's been gathering dust ever since.

During summer static season, a lot of my ham radio activity is on 40m cw.  But last summer I was converting the Gates to CW capability, and surprisingly, I was able to work 160m cw throughout the summer with a full kw output to the vertical.

BTW
, does anyone know what process was used for "japanning"?  Even commercially made attempts to reproduce it look different from the original.  If they were able to do it 60+ years ago, why can't the same exact process be reproduced today?

Same for wrinkle paint.  Original pre WW2 black wrinkle has a quality to it that is different from any modern spray paint I have been able to find.  They didn't have aerosols back then.  I'm not sure they even sprayed it on.

I can recall not too many years ago you could buy wrinkle paint in regular non-spray paint cans.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W1UJR
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2005, 07:13:37 AM »

Hi Bud,

Now that's a keeper, I bet you treasure that bug!
Same thing here, all the gear could disappear overnight, except for one or two items which are priceless - VE3HC's Wouff - Hong - like your Blue Racer.
By the way, the new shack and photos look great, very nice buzzardly Scott receiver!

Don,

I always thought that a "Japan" finish looked like a very thick black low gloss paint, using gold accents, much like you see with furniture from Japan.

As for black wrinkle/crackle,I have heard that that the paint thing has a lot to do with the removal of lead from the forumula. Not certain if that is accurate, but seems to be the general rule. I have a number of old black crackle parts which need to be power coated, and the folks around here in Maine have nothing that quite matches the small "wrinkles" in the finish.

Thankfully one of the kind folks on the AM BB gave me a lead of a company in MI that does small batchb black powder coating which looks like crackle, I have been meaning to check them out.

The is something amazing about that finish, it is uber difficult to remove, or even damage, and despite 50,60, or 70 years of use - will clean up again like new.

73, Bruce W1UJR
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2005, 08:30:07 AM »

My wife gave me a Vibroplex the christmas after I got my ticket.  I wouldn't part with it for love nor money.    Cheesy   I did have to make up an extension to slow it down a touch, as I'm only good for about 15 wpm  :oops:   but with the extension, I can go as low as 8.

It really peaked the interest of my daughter, who can send her name on it, though she has a tendancy to push it a little to hard.   Wink  Not to bad for a six yr old!!

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
Gary - WA4IAM
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2005, 10:49:06 AM »

Beautiful bug! I'm going to have to checkout their web site, which I haven't done in quite a while.

I bought a bug at an antique radio meet years ago and tried for a couple of months to get the hang of using it. I'm also one who is comfortable around 15-17 WPM, so the bug in it's original configuration was way too fast for me and I ended up selling it.  I currently use a Vibroplex straight key (love it!) with my Millen transmitter. Maybe one of these days I'll pickup a bug and give it another try.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2005, 11:04:43 AM »

Quote from: Ed/KB1HYS
  I did have to make up an extension to slow it down a touch

I use an alligator clip to slow mine down.  I reformed the jaws by first filing down the teeth to avoid scratching the pendulum, then reformed the toothless clip to fit right over the rod.  Then I filled the sleeve on the wire end with  solder.  I can slow mine down to about 15 wpm with that attachment.  Works better than an extension gadget I picked up at Dayton a few years ago at the Vibroplex booth.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W1UJR
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2005, 11:16:21 AM »

Quote from: k4kyv
Quote from: Ed/KB1HYS
  I did have to make up an extension to slow it down a touch

I use an alligator clip to slow mine down.  I reformed the jaws by first filing down the teeth to avoid scratching the pendulum, then reformed the toothless clip to fit right over the rod.  Then I filled the sleeve on the wire end with  solder.  I can slow mine down to about 15 wpm with that attachment.  Works better than an extension gadget I picked up at Dayton a few years ago at the Vibroplex booth.

Interesting trick Don.
Just wrapped solder around the weight, the higher the weight the slow the rate.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2005, 01:18:36 PM »

I just don't know Bruce; it can't be that good; it's only got one knob.

My favorite bug:

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2005, 01:53:01 PM »

My Favorite Bug [Eyes]...the Guru Trogladite.

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2005, 05:05:46 PM »

Another way to slow the bugs down is to open the contact spacing to extremes.
I do this a lot when working the novices !!
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2005, 01:35:32 PM »

So THAT'S what they look like when new. Nice!

I have one of the original models, base is pretty decent with a few small edge chips but some of the pin striping is gone. Has the older triangular thumbpiece, too. Wonder why they didn't get some made up for these? More buzzardly-looking. It has a nice feel to it, perhaps helped out by the brass weight someone fabricated for it in leu of the original.

Re japanning: looks almost like a porcelain glaze of some sort. The black color reminds me of the old laquers used back before they became 'hazardous'. Maybe mixed and applied in such a way or with high heat to make a glass-like substance when hard?

Mighty fine bug to go with your other buzzardly gear, Bruce. Thanks for sharing.

~ Todd, KA1KAQ

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015