The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:20:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So many QSL's on EBAY  (Read 4543 times)
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« on: October 15, 2019, 02:07:47 PM »

Never realized how many people are selling old QSL's on EBAY
Did a search for    QSL WA2   and found some from stations I worked years ago! Who buys these?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=QSL+WA2&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=16&_osacat=0&_odkw=QSL+WA1H
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 10:20:45 PM »

Guilty as charged! I placed a search for my call sign on eBay to see if my vanity call would come up and find some history on who and where W2PFY was? I couldn't find anyone listed on the old section of QRZ or if the call was ever issued?

Then one day eBay email popped up and some guy was selling a QSL card with my call on it. It turns out that it was held by a gentlemen from LI and the date on the card was from 1949. i learned that W2PFY was a rather successful business man and the person he was talking to was the founder of the Remington Rand Corporation out of CT. I was able to ascertain from that QSL card the original holders name and located his OBIT and that among other things, that he had quite a gilt to gab nature about him in regards to his radio hobby...Kinda like the present holder of the call! Well anyhow, there must be more reasons than the one I expressed and my guess is that buyers of old QSL cards are a bunch of nuts! But then, what do I know?  

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 10:44:15 PM »

They are radio history and mini time capsules. Much fun to look at. I have a bunch but I've never paid for any.
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 07:15:03 AM »

Guilty as charged! I placed a search for my call sign on eBay to see if my vanity call would come up and find some history on who and where W2PFY was? I couldn't find anyone listed on the old section of QRZ or if the call was ever issued?

Then one day eBay email popped up and some guy was selling a QSL card with my call on it. It turns out that it was held by a gentlemen from LI and the date on the card was from 1949. i learned that W2PFY was a rather successful business man and the person he was talking to was the founder of the Remington Rand Corporation out of CT. I was able to ascertain from that QSL card the original holders name and located his OBIT and that among other things, that he had quite a gilt to gab nature about him in regards to his radio hobby...Kinda like the present holder of the call! Well anyhow, there must be more reasons than the one I expressed and my guess is that buyers of old QSL cards are a bunch of nuts! But then, what do I know?  
Wow, now here is another puzzle piece. The guy who got me addicted to this hobby was W2MJD. Art was the CE for a local station, WMCA. Up in his attic he had a photo of the youngsters, members of the Hampton Roads VA wireless association. Art mentioned that one of the group was the founder of Remington Rand. He and Art were responsible for installing the 1st radio station in a school, in Hampton Roads. I still have a few of the “stamps” they used to verify reception reports, early QSLs. Years after Art passed, I contacted the school to discover the principal was the grandson of the principal who was in charge when the station was installed. The info I provided answered the question as to why they had antenna remnants still on the roof.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 02:15:57 PM »

I've got a small collection of cards I've saved over the years to go with my pre-war gear and related equipment. Primarily 20s-30s though I have a few later examples with interesting photos, equipment listed, or something else that sets them apart.

Just can't find them in the mess right now.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2019, 10:47:19 PM »

Wow, now here is another puzzle piece. The guy who got me addicted to this hobby was W2MJD. Art was the CE for a local station, WMCA. Up in his attic he had a photo of the youngsters, members of the Hampton Roads VA wireless association. Art mentioned that one of the group was the founder of Remington Rand. He and Art were responsible for installing the 1st radio station in a school, in Hampton Roads. I still have a few of the “stamps” they used to verify reception reports, early QSLs. Years after Art passed, I contacted the school to discover the principal was the grandson of the principal who was in charge when the station was installed. The info I provided answered the question as to why they had antenna remnants still on the roof.

Great stuff! I am going to try to locate that QSL card and scan it and put it on here. Maybe some of the names will ring a bell with you or people out there. Now just where is that card, here or at my camp 125 miles from here? I'll get back to you when I find it.

WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2019, 02:56:57 PM »

I have a good collection of cards from the the AWA 1929 guys too. Great fun.

Mike WU2D

These are the good old days of AM
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2019, 10:20:12 AM »

Got a whole box from one ham, exclusively on 6 meters and in the 1950s, overwhelmingly AM with just a few Watts.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2019, 04:46:18 PM »

This QSL card was sent in 1970. People weren't so up tight then...

* BIRD KILLING ASS QSL CARD.jpg (250.11 KB, 1786x1072 - viewed 333 times.)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015