The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:09:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lynyrd Skynyrd Founding Member Larry Junstrom, K4EB, SK  (Read 2324 times)
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« on: October 14, 2019, 07:41:45 PM »

From the ARRL Letter:

Southern Rocker Larry "LJ" Junstrom, K4EB, died on October 6. He was reported to be 70. Junstrom was a founding member and bassist of Lynyrd Skynyrd, although he left the group before it recorded its first album. He's better known as a member of another Southern Rock band, 38 Special, with which he performed from 1977 until retiring in 2014.

"The Big Man on the Big Bass has left us," a statement on the 38 Special website said. "He rocked arenas all over the world and succeeded in living his dream. He was truly one of a kind, a congenial traveling companion and a great friend to all with a humorous slant on life that always kept our spirits high -- a kind man with a big heart for everyone who crossed his path."

Licensed in 1962 as WN2LKF, later becoming WA4LKF, he was a regular attendee of Orlando HamCation. Junstrom was inactive in Amateur Radio during his busy years on the road but picked up the hobby again in 1990 and became an avid DXer with 347 entities in mixed DXCC. He was a frequent check-in to the Musicians' Net on 40 meters.

After retiring, Junstrom worked in real estate in north central Florida.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 04:46:14 PM »

Never knew that he was the founding member and ham, Steve. Thanks for sharing that.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
wa4nlw

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 09:53:20 PM »

I was able to meet him at the Jaxonville Free-Flea a few years back, Friendly average joe kinda guy.  He will be missed

Matt, WA4NLW
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 04:36:59 PM »

What a guy! R. I. P.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 01:42:37 PM »

He appeared on an early episode of Ham Nation with Bob Heil and Gordon West and talked about music and radio.

https://youtu.be/1p125E7r16E?t=85

--- Post No Bills ---
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015