The AM Forum
April 24, 2024, 03:13:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EQplus by W2IHY... and the 897D Experiment  (Read 49854 times)
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2005, 10:29:46 PM »

These's something to be said for a person who will not sugar coat his opinion.
Cawm awn.
wa1knx
Contributing

« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2005, 12:49:17 AM »

either dem mikes work great!

as  to the IHY - I built my own back east on various rigs.  I got a yard sale 10 band eq. it had a metal box, rack and so it was good for RF.  Then I added my own limiter/preamp, reverb circuits etc. A half dozen chips later, using some of the best OP amps avaiable I had a great system.
Its still is in operation and cruising.
    I bet the IHY works good, but expensive!!  In Maine, I have a music
shop EQ, like tom mentioned. its in a metal box. no RF problems and works pretty durn good - but I hate forgetting to unplug the mike, and
draining a 9V batt down overnight!

deano!  ( PS Gar, I worked a crap load of DX out here, and east coast
AMers all winter. just heard the ZE - ZM a couple nights ago, despite
the gal-darn QRN! )

am forever!
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2005, 09:16:51 AM »

Good Day Everyone,

Well now after the Initial Price Shock has subsided, I have found that there is a multitude of Sound shaping capabilities with the match set of the 8 band Eq and the EQPlus, it Does make Heils GM-5 mic sound Better..the Mic does need a little help, it's very Bassy..if that is considerence of the "Full Range' Audio sometimes i'm not sure where Bob is headed with his "Elements" I do like the HC-5 cartridge..

I like the  graphic simplicity of the units, and the very minimal learning curve needed to operate the set. I have had the 8 band EQ for sometime now , I dearly enjoyed Building the thing and watching the circuit come to life and perform, of course that's Half the fun at my bench here building and testing alot of the components availible today as well as working rebuilding alot of the Past recievers i have here...

The set takes up very little room, the cableing is somewhat cumbersum, the "Switching " Idea  i guess is OK it's on the rear of both units so they have to be in the Open to access the controls...if one likes a tidy desk you have to leave room to get at them...Small Footprint and stacking is the thing to do with them.

It comes to mind at this point That in the World "Realm " of Audio Processing that my summary of these two units would be "Entry Level" practically idiot proof..somewhat.. Geared for Plug and Play..

The Pricing of this stuff is "High" in my estimation the circuits are "Not' over Engineered and for what you get and what's there it just comes to my mind that with todays " Speed Fabricating Shops" the pricing would fall into line for the circuits involved here...Maybe i'm wrong but ..if you want to play your gona Pay....

The Wonderfullness of "Free Enterprise".... Cheesy
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2005, 11:09:06 AM »

I drink beer. And I never need to refresh it.
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2005, 11:11:22 AM »

Refresh This  Cheesy

By the way if you make the trip up here in the near future you may want to bring the guitar OM . There seems to be a few musicians showing up.

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNŲ54
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2005, 11:30:16 AM »

LOL! Good one.

Sounds like a good scene. BTW, refresh me on the dates (too many beers and my memory is shot.)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2005, 11:48:08 AM »

My on-the-air offer is still open:

Anyone who is disenchanted with their RE-27... I will trade you my RE-20, which has been "refreshed" with a new cartridge from EV,  for your RE27, straight up.

Caw mawn.

T...  [always ready to take advantage of distressed merchandise at the right moment]

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2005, 12:10:40 PM »

Actually I fail to see what the rest of this has to do with the thread But, Hey, if it feels good do it... Cheesy

Crack me up... Cheesy
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2005, 01:29:14 PM »

Does anyone know if this was ever done????
Word has it that a EQ Plus loaner was sent to an AM forum member months ago for testing and evaluation, and then passed on to additional members for further testing. It would be "nice" to hear the results of that testing.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W1GFH
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2005, 02:10:04 PM »

Just to stir the pot and drag the thread further through the woods...I found this (SSB-based) comparison of the RE-20 versus Bob Heil's PR-40...

http://www.wz5q.com/index/pr40.htm

Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2005, 09:17:47 AM »

Quote from: Pete, WA2CWA
Does anyone know if this was ever done?Huh
Word has it that a EQ Plus loaner was sent to an AM forum member months ago for testing and evaluation, and then passed on to additional members for further testing. It would be "nice" to hear the results of that testing.

Hi Pete,

Julius told me Paul has/had it and was running it through it's paces and really didn't say much other than that.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2005, 11:23:27 AM »

I bought this unit to keep me happy until my Optimod 9000 was returned from the repair shop. The construction quality appears to be very high, the reviews appeared to be favorable, and the designer,  has a well respected name in the ham radio business.
Let me put it to you this way. The 9000 is now sitting on the side used as a beer bottle coaster .
The EQ Plus has great resolution and the ability to resolve what is recorded is phenominal. Solid, deep and extended bass, wonderfully gorgeous midrange and airy extended highs. You can literally 'hear' the soundstage along with the "space" around the performers. AM Reports are that my carrier is now quite clear and crisp. The preamp is VERY quiet. With well recorded media, the presentation is stunning. I am constantly surprised with what is revealed within my recordings each time I listen. The bass is deep, taut, and extended. The EQ Plus' have very deep bass capabilities, and when the bass is present, you can not only 'hear', but feel it. No "one note" bass reproduction here. The panel lamps on my ricebox now dim on bass peaks. What more can be said? The midrange is not forward, although there is a slight 'edge' in my system. The rasp of a voice, the minor inflections, even the breathing of the singer can be heard distinctly. With choir music, each voice is distinct. Placement does not wander. You can, with your eyes closed, envision the placement of the singers. Sometimes I hook it to the receiver to listen to the Mark-Wannabe Net. I can just see all the guys sitting around the campfire with their flashlights and Amyl Nitrate. The highs are extended and not 'etchy'. The attack and decay of the cymbals is reproduced as if they are being played in your room. Brushes used on cymbals in a good jazz recording reinforce the quickness and resolving ability of this preamp. Violins in the upper registers "sing". Trumpets have the right amount of 'bite' to their sound. The soundstage is 3-dimensional. Very holographic if present in the recorded material. I can listen to the music as never before. It becomes an 'musical experience'. You are drawn into the musical presentation. Even a D-104 hooked into a 2 KOhm load has new meaning. If it appears that I am very enthusiastic about this preamp, it is because I am. Mind you, this preamp will reveal all the weaknesses in a poor transmitter.
My musical tastes run from large scale orchestra, jazz (ther 'real' stuff.. none of that fluff of today), Christian contemporary, Acid Rock, Spike Jones, Ground loop AC hum and just about anything that 'sounds' good to me.
I am using "home made" 891R final with Canare rca connects. I like these interconnects better than the MIT's, Esoterics, Monsters, Vampires or whatever else I have in the box. And, they are CHEAP. Modulation transformer cable used is the AudioQuest Indigo 2 shotgunned.
Again, this preamp was a musical 'revelation' for me. The guys on 75 ssb who do nothing but adjust audio all day say it sounds great. The sound was so good that I signed off as we had nothing further to talk about. It has taken me 20 years to find a replacement for the Optimod (I have heard better, but not by much and the cost was too high to justify the purchase). I can only hope that it will be another 20 years before I replace the EQ Plus.
So far, it looks that way!
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2005, 07:56:48 PM »

Yeah, the day YOU send something to a repair shop is the same day I do...

Funny stuff - what audiophool site did you cut/paste that out of, Dave?

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2005, 09:06:19 PM »

Julius told me Paul has/had it and was running it through it's paces and really didn't say much other than that.

Thanks Jack. Julius told me the same thing back, I think, in January or Februrary.
I bought this unit to keep me happy until my Optimod 9000 was returned from the repair shop. The construction quality appears to be very high, the reviews appeared to be favorable, and the designer, has a well respected name in the ham radio business.
Let me put it to you this way. The 9000 is now sitting on the side used as a beer bottle coaster . . . . . . . . . . . .

Nice Dave. You should be in marketing.
"beer bottle coaster" hey, my R-390A is my foot rest.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Fred k2dx

« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2005, 11:23:02 PM »

Here's a place to see and hear many mics:
 http://www.coutant.org/contents.html

And here's the side by side comparison of the RE20 and RE27nd

RE 20          http://www.coutant.org/re20.mp3
 RE 27nd       http://www.coutant.org/re27nd.mp3
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands