The AM Forum
March 19, 2024, 03:05:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Schlockwood 200 audio processor  (Read 2414 times)
VE3AJM

« on: June 26, 2019, 10:52:33 AM »

Has anyone on the forum used or had any experience using this processor. Its geared to the LPAM/community radio market.

Wondering about RF getting into it in proximity to a higher power AM transmitter. Molded case, and is there any bypassing etc to minimize RF susceptibility. Otherwise, it looks like good value for the $$$.

Al VE3AJM

KQ6F

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 11:22:51 AM »

I use it with my homebrewed Class D/E AM transmitter which is packaged in a plastic clam-shell box with no internal shielding.  (there's a picture of it on my QRZ page).  I have the Schlockwood sitting directly on top of the transmitter and have experienced no RFI problems nor any other problems.  I will say this about the Schlockwood...it has several features a couple of which I found unnecessary for ham radio.  I have disabled both the auto AGC and the Pre-emphasis.  The auto AGC is intended to compensate for varying audio levels from different sources and for close talking vs talking away from the mic.  I don't do that.  Regarding the pre-emphasis, I just don't like how it sounds.

Otherwise, I like the Schlockwood and firmly recommend its use.  And its developer, Jim Wood, is a helluva nice guy.

Rod KQ6F
VE3AJM

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 11:52:41 AM »

Thanks very much for letting me know. I may purchase one.

Al VE3AJM
WO4K
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 08:18:01 PM »

Beautiful workmanship, Rod.

Al, I looked at the Schlockwood 200 for my K7DYY 80/40 Super Senior, but decided to go with an Inovonics 223 from BSW's B stock. Frankly it was  a lot more money, even with the B stock savings (because I got the Inovonics 223 rack mount). Besides the usual audio processing attributes, I liked the 3 band look-ahead limiter, positive / negative peaks meter and the 223's ability to police the bandwidth of my signal to within legal limits. Janis, AB2RA, calls the 223 the "poor girl's Optimod."

Patrolling the ionosphere from Woodlawn, Tennessee.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015