The AM Forum
April 23, 2024, 02:14:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: REMOVING NICOTINE...?  (Read 29166 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2009, 11:32:56 PM »

I've been using Windex on all my equipment boxes since the beginning of time. I haven't keeled over yet nor has any of the equipment paint fallen off. I also use Windex on all my external computer hardware. Spray, wipe, and move to the next piece of equipment. I don't rinse anything. Also, great for cleaning bird crap off the cars.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2009, 12:53:54 AM »

smoking tobacco is one of the worst addictions there is. I wish they would make it illegal to sell it ready-to-smoke, or entirely..

spoken as one who has tried many times to quit..

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2009, 03:51:35 AM »

smoking tobacco is one of the worst addictions there is. I wish they would make it illegal to sell it ready-to-smoke, or entirely..

I can think of several that might be considered worst. And, various types of addictions pervade the amateur radio society.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2009, 05:55:43 AM »

Actually smokers are  less likely to suffer from dementia according to hushed up studies.  At least that is what I read in a report a couple of years ago that I can't find now anywhere.
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2009, 07:46:23 AM »

Actually smokers are  less likely to suffer from dementia according to hushed up studies.  At least that is what I read in a report a couple of years ago that I can't find now anywhere.

Yup .... they don't tend to live long enuff to get it (dementia, that is) ... the price of tobacco is gettin high enuff to attract organized crime .... my pop called his ciggies 'weed' ...took him 60 years to be able to quit ....lived for about 10 more ... that was 20 years ago ....I still miss him ...73 ...John

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2009, 12:01:59 PM »

My old man smoked every form of tobacco there was (I think). He still ended up with dementia, although he didn't begin to go down hill until after he quit smoking and drinking (cold turkey!)  after he retired on his doctors orders.

I used to smoke (pilfered some of the old mans cigars one day, man my younger brother and I got SICK off of those El Productos!)  I guess it was still prevelent in the army back when I first joined too.  Took a long time to get off those death sticks, and damn they still smell good sometimes...

My old man would KNOW when I had been out carousing the night before. He'd get me outta bed, make a batch of runny eggs "for breaksfast", and while I was sitting at the table, he'd light up a stogie and begin to interigate me about the previous nights activities.   Wasn't long before I'd be the same color as green linoleum flooring and would spill my guts... both ways.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2009, 03:20:40 PM »

The wife is a pastel artist and sells framed paintings which are nothing more than colorful chalk on paper.  I told her about the discussion of cleaning nicotine and she gave me a different approach.

She says that Windex is not all it is cracked up to be.  She started using equal parts of water, alcohol and vinegar.  This cleans smudges, dirt, nicotine and everything else and does not ruin paint, provided it is not latex paint.  She has tried everything in the book including the aerosol cleaner for polycarbonate.  The mixture makes the glass shine like new.

The good thing about the alcohol is it displaces and absorbs water.
MikeKE0ZUinkcmo

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2009, 01:46:25 PM »

Plain amonia, rite out of the bottle.  Nothing works better.  Rinse if you want. 

Mike

Mike KE0ZU

Bold Text and PICS are usually links

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015