The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:59:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nano VNA  (Read 23743 times)
W1ITT

« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2019, 10:09:58 AM »

I've only seen photographs, but the new unit, the NanoVNA-F appears to be fully enclosed, not the club-sandwich stacked construction of the original Nano.  For a case to protect it, something like a  large change purse would probably suffice if you could find one that wasn't too girly-looking.  Given that you'll probably want to carry a couple short RF cables, a USB charging cable,  and adapters to different coax formats, the imitation Pelican cases sold by Harbor Freight are very solid and protective with their pick and pull foam insert.  They have a little one that often goes on sale for about $10 that's very cool.  I have a couple of their medium sized cases for other test equipment that bounce along nicely on job sites.
de Norm W1ITT
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2019, 07:18:36 AM »

If you desire information on the case design email Frank below:

ka2fwc@bellsouth.net [undefined:ka2fwc@bellsouth.net]
I ordered one, received it, a discovered it did not fit. Sent Frank a photo but so far no response...
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2019, 10:13:50 AM »

Frank never responded. Case looks nice but won't fit - guess I have a new paperweight?
Hope he is OK?
W4AMV

« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2019, 10:29:34 PM »

Just saw your note.
Let me try Frank direct.
Standby...
KF7WWW

« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2019, 09:39:22 AM »

The case I got from Frank fit well after I rounded the corners around the USB port.
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2019, 08:17:40 PM »

Frank refunded my money. As he points out, there appears to be a lot of mechanical variations.
W1ITT

« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2019, 08:03:29 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKi6s3WvBAM

If you have an hour, here's a pretty good YouTube video tutorial on the use of the NanoVNA.  The fellow starts off with a technical explanation then quickly moves to the test bench for some good  examples demonstrating the use of the Nano in practical radio situations.  Later on he even gets out a Millen grid dip meter and ties things all together.
By the way, don't worry if you don't have one of his cute little torque wrenches for coaxial connectors.  In a metrology lab those get used a bit.  In the field or on the test bench, I haven't used one in twenty years, just calibrated fingers. 

73 de Norm W1ITT
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2019, 10:44:36 AM »

I've only seen photographs, but the new unit, the NanoVNA-F appears to be fully enclosed, not the club-sandwich stacked construction of the original Nano.  For a case to protect it, something like a  large change purse would probably suffice if you could find one that wasn't too girly-looking.  Given that you'll probably want to carry a couple short RF cables, a USB charging cable,  and adapters to different coax formats, the imitation Pelican cases sold by Harbor Freight are very solid and protective with their pick and pull foam insert.  They have a little one that often goes on sale for about $10 that's very cool.  I have a couple of their medium sized cases for other test equipment that bounce along nicely on job sites.
de Norm W1ITT

I just received my Nano-VNA-F.  It took six weeks to arrive from AliExpress, but was well worth the wait!  Somewhat larger display, but instead of just a couple PC boards, it is very professionally packaged in an extruded aluminum enclosure, with ENGRAVED legends that are filled with white lettering and graphics, a very nice package indeed.  The enclosure provides shielding, which will likely improve the S/N when on the edge of performance with the original Nano-VNA offering.  

Thanks so much for the information, Norm!

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
W1ITT

« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2020, 06:15:51 PM »

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/nanovna-version-2-0-first-pcb-pictures-released-nanovna-naming-credit-clarifications/

It appears that the anticipated 3 ghz NanoVNA2.0 now exists in hardware and it's not just vaporware.  The linked article brings out the fact that there are two tracks, both calling themselves 2.0.  The Owocomm version is the one to watch, and the article indicates that Owocomm is basically just developing it and will set it out for others to manufacture without any license or hindrance.  The planned version is still the itty bitty screen but I have to believe that some smart cookie will build one around at a least a 4 inch screen.  Those of us with old eyes can still use it with NanoSaver and our laptops.
Folks who do 1296 and 2304 mhz will find this a nifty step, and more dynamic range is promised as well and for not a lot of money.  I'm happy with my original version for messing around the house, but I might have to pick up one of the new ones for my keychain.
Keep your eyes open for more coolness to come.

73 de Norm W1ITT

w9jsw
Two shots of Whisky
Contributing

« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2020, 06:42:15 AM »

Norm,

You said "If we can only get a similar grade of shirt pocket spectrum analyzer for fifty bucks we'll all be grinning."

Take a look at SDRPlay1A with the SA software. In your shirt pocket for a bit over $100 bucks. Still needs a PC though.

https://www.sdrplay.com/spectrum-analyser/

John
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2020, 11:44:35 PM »

Ahh.. but someone smart might make a linux based Raspberry Pi and mini display work with it.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015