The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:35:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nano VNA  (Read 23740 times)
W4AMV

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2019, 09:26:53 PM »

Hi,

I just spoke to Frank who makes the cases. He will be posting to the forum via the SALES area for "nanoVNA" cases. You can contact him direct. Any questions he will be able to address directly.

Thanks, Alan
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2019, 09:37:58 AM »

I've been reading through the groups.io comments and I see many mentioning that "no battery" was included. What kind of battery does it use? Mine will be here in a few weeks and I'd like  to get ready.
W4AMV

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2019, 09:46:28 AM »

Good day,

The units I have are Lithium. I believe 375 mA/hr. Some units come with or are spec with a 400 mA/hr. The operation current is spec at 120 mA. Mine typically runs for 2-to- 3 hrs before required charge off the USB port on the lap top.

Folks use flat profile cell phone batteries. I would check the users forum thread about any issues with the internal charging circuits and what batteries to avoid.

Alan
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2019, 09:53:21 AM »

All noted, with my thanks. I'd be interested in receiving any info / links on what people are using. I read the ad of the one I purchased and no where did it say, no battery was included.
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2019, 10:17:44 AM »

Just reread the ad from the guy I ordered it from. Can someone explain this about the port wiring?

This is a DIY product that provides perfect vector network measurement capabilities in the size of a credit card. It includes a 2.8-inch touch screen and 500mAh battery, which can be used offline for 2 hours. For longer measurement, please connect external power supply or contact me to make a larger battery version. The TX/RX method can measure the complete S11 and S21 parameters. If you need to obtain S12 and S22, you need to manually replace the transceiver port wiring.
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2019, 12:17:42 PM »

S11 and S21 are from Port A to Port B.

S12 and S22 are from Port B to Port A.

My vnwa has an output that will trigger an external relay box to physically reverse the device u Der test.

With the nano vna, you'd have to manually swap the leads.... 

It's for measuring the device under test in reverse.

Although I've built a relay box for my vnwa, I've never actually used it.

--Shane
KD6VXI
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2019, 01:17:24 PM »

Thanks for this simple and clear explanation. So it looks like many are ordering these. I'm wondering if anyone has created a list, or web page that would explain all that needs to be done once you receive it? I have my antenna analyzer, but its limited to what it can do on the bench. I'm looking at this as a low cost learning experience - that will require some reading and experimentation.

I'm also interested in one of the cases.
W4AMV

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2019, 01:52:42 PM »

What Shane stated is correct.

Two items for you to consult. On the first page of this thread, Mike posted the English version of the manual. It is terse. However, the info is there.

Second, also on the first page of this thread, I posted the MENU flow pdf. Take a look at that. That pdf MENU flow provides you with a visual on the instrument softkey sequence and the MAP to get this tool functioning.

Antenna work, aka, antenna analyzer and for simple measurements of R,L and C components, you can configure the device as a so called ONE PORT or ONE CHANNEL tool. For filter response and all other TWO PORT devices, there is a slight step up in what you need to do.

If you want to gain a better understanding of the VNA, google Keysight Introduction into the VNA. Its a good basic read. Here is the link below:

http://literature.cdn.keysight.com/litweb/pdf/5965-7917E.pdf

I should add calibration is a key piece in setting these tools up to run. However, it is a straight forward process.

Regards, Alan
W4AMV

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2019, 11:34:00 PM »

If you desire information on the case design email Frank below:

ka2fwc@bellsouth.net [undefined:ka2fwc@bellsouth.net]
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2019, 06:56:03 AM »

So I received mine yesterday. I’m impressed! First question, the screen appears to have a protective film on it. It looks like I’ll have to partially disassemble it to remove it.

I assume it should be removed?
Also, many videos have appeared in YouTube. Just search Nanovna

One observation, when I turn it off, the blue light remains on. Need to hit the rocker switch to make it go out.
W1ITT

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2019, 09:18:44 AM »

I left my protective screen thing on , and it works just fine.  That green tab of screen material that sticks up is confusing as to its function, so I left it there.
As to the led that shines after shutdown, I find that by waiting a minute or so, it goes off by itself.  There isn't any "official" word on these rigs so we can depend on user groups and just trying stuff to see what works.  As long as you don't connect one of the SMAs to something with power on it, they seem to be forgiving.  It's nice to see these VNAs getting into more stations and getting more hams on the learning curve.
And again, for those who are contemplating buying a NanoVNA, the black ones seem to have the better functionality than the white ones with the gecko.  And Ebay or Aliexpress seems to make no difference, so go with what works for you.
Norm W1ITT
W1ITT

« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2019, 07:09:59 PM »

There's some new software out that will allow more functionality when tethering the NanoVNA to a laptop.

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/a-nanovna-2-0-is-in-the-works-same-price-frequency-range-up-to-3-5-ghz-higher-dynamic-range/

And a new "Version 2.0" NanoVNA is in the works for early 2020 that promises better dynamic range (good for two-port measurements tuning filters etc) and capability up to 3.5 ghz .  And this is promised to be in the same under-$50 dollar price range.  These are interesting times!

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/a-nanovna-2-0-is-in-the-works-same-price-frequency-range-up-to-3-5-ghz-higher-dynamic-range/

73 de Norm W1ITT
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2019, 10:16:13 PM »

What would be nice in the 2.0 revision (which the developer says please don't use, as he is also developing a new version of the Nano) would be more resolution.

While I find the nano on par within a couple of percentage points with my 10 x more expensive VNWA, I find the VNWA has about 20 dB more resolution.

This matters in half wave end fed style antennas, etc.

And I agree Norm.  Great device.  I have Frank's case for mine, and I rarely pull the 259B out anymore.  

NanoVNASaver is a MUCH more robust package.

A bug I've found in the 'official' package is in saving in touchstone files.  The vnwa software is a LOT more robust and won't read the touchstone files.  The NanoVNAsaver package is cross platform compliant, however.

Also, the software on the NanoVNA is very much in beta and doesn't exploit the full capability.  The vnwa software has spec an capabilities, and that is just now being discussed on the NanoVNA software.

In another month or so, this should be great!

--Shane
KD6VXI
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2019, 08:53:02 AM »

There's some new software out that will allow more functionality when tethering the NanoVNA to a laptop.

And a new "Version 2.0" NanoVNA is in the works for early 2020 that promises better dynamic range (good for two-port measurements tuning filters etc) and capability up to 3.5 ghz .  And this is promised to be in the same under-$50 dollar price range.  These are interesting times!

73 de Norm W1ITT

Where is this new PC software available from? I subscribed to the NanoVNA list, but I honestly don't have the time to keep up with it. Way too much traffic being discussed.
W1ITT

« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2019, 11:23:28 AM »

-SQQ et al....

https://zs1sci.com/blog/nanovnasaver/ 

Here's another link to the GitHub repository with the latest NanoSaver release.  Clicking on the "this" will get you there, and the zs1sci link also provides some helpful instruction on how to play with the software package.  As has been mentioned, this is beta software so a couple rough spots may become apparent but smarter folks than I are toiling away freely offering up some pretty cool stuff to the rest of us.
By the way, somewhere else that I failed to bookmark, I see that someone has written software to turn the NanoVNA into a WSPR beacon and someone is running FT8 through it.  What will they think of next !

73 de Norm W1ITT
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2019, 04:34:21 PM »

So is this Windows software, or must you load some sort of Python OS.
W1ITT

« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2019, 05:48:08 PM »

For those who don't spend much time navigating the GitHub repository, the following link has an executable  ( .exe ) toward the bottom of the page for a 38.3 kb download   It will then run on a Windows machine after you save it to somewhere handy.  The download link is wicked slow, so start it and go mix a refreshing beverage while it trickles in.

https://github.com/mihtjel/nanovna-saver/releases/tag/v0.1.0

73 de Norm W1ITT
W4AMV

« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2019, 05:52:29 PM »

I have been involved in testing this Beta version. Actually an Alpha release of what was Beta. Ugh!

Anyway, NO Python required. The download will/is an executable, .exe file. Download, run .exe and done.

Keep watching the users group post and there should be announcement soon for the next release.

Yes 1.0 will be soon updated.

Alan
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2019, 08:11:06 PM »

Thanks to all!
km6sn
Contributing

« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2019, 02:10:30 PM »

I use a Q-tip for the stylus--works great, does not scratch the screen.
My experience is that if you have an antenna that is close to resonance,
it is easy to work with. I just tried sweeping a mag loop of unknown
resonance, and ended up sweeping in 1 or 2 meg "chunks" bc the
antenna is high Q, and I did not want the 100 sample points to
miss the dip on a broad sweep. Best $50 I ever spent. The PC software
makes it a lot easier to use.

At first I thought the PC s/w did not work; but I had not clicked the "connect to vna" button. The traces in the pic are not interesting because the nanovna was not connected to a real antenna. BTW, on the PC you can choose any type for 4 different plots: swr, return loss, smith, etc.
73,Rod

* s2.png (156.37 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 322 times.)
W1ITT

« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2019, 11:06:32 AM »

And the hits just keep on coming !   Here's yet another iteration of the NanoVNA, this one the NanoVNA F.  It has a bigger screen and a bigger battery and some other enhancements and a bigger price.  I'll stick with my standard model, but this one might serve the need for those who find the screen on the original model too small.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10000000565323.html?spm=a2g1y.12024536.productList_408693596.subject_0

I'm still waiting for the more-better iteration promised for late winter that will go to 3.5 ghz and better dynamic range.  I just ordered another one of the original units to give to an overseas customer who I will be seeing on a project in a month or so.  Who would have imagined that we could give network analyzers away?  Most people have too many company-logo coffee cups anyway.  I was pleased to hear  happy comments from a few people at Deerfield who bought NanoVNAs.  If we can only get a similar grade of shirt pocket spectrum analyzer for fifty bucks we'll all be grinning.

de Norm W1ITT
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2019, 02:05:48 PM »

Norm, thanks for the tip.  I have one on the way.  Already have the original NanoVNA.  Very impressive!

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
W4DNR

« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2019, 03:13:52 PM »

Here is an enclosed case for the unit.

Alan

Any cases for the larger display ?

Don W4DNR
PA0NVD

Nico and Chappie (Chappie is the dog...)

« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2019, 05:15:41 PM »

The small display is a little too small for my eysight, so I have the 4,3 inch one on the way. Quite impressive.
W4AMV

« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2019, 09:56:43 AM »

Here is an enclosed case for the unit.

Alan

Any cases for the larger display ?

Don W4DNR

Check the user site for the nano vna. Try also a PM to Frank. He may work one up. Other than that I do not know of one. If I am not mistaken, the larger unit has a new case which attempts to fix some of the mechanics of the first one.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015