The AM Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:18:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Info on 9BFO  (Read 2185 times)
Knightt150
Contributing

« on: July 22, 2019, 09:48:00 PM »

I am still trying to find more info on my calll W9BFO. the call was first issued in 1922 to R. A. Braden who lived at 1814 First St Duluth, Mn. He was transmitting 25 watts.
It is possible he was using a spark transmitter. tubes were very high priced.
Can anyone give me any info on this person or his family so I can contact them for more info.

Thank You
John W9BFO
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 01:28:41 PM »

So in 1922 "9BFO" was in use, but with no "W"
Were you the first to have the "W9BFO" issued?
My call isn't as old, but I was curious to see if anyone ever had it before I got it in 1970. The ARRL was able to provide copies of the Call Book showing when it was first issued, to me, to replace WN2SQQ.
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 09:27:04 PM »

He was Rene A Braden, 20 years old and living at home at the time. He went on to be an Electical Engineer in the Radio Industry in Merchantville, Camden, New Jersey, and by 1955 he lived in Princeton, NJ listing his occupation as a Research Engineer. He did a lot of prominent work for them and recieved numerous patents. However it appears he did not continue his hobby in ham radio. He died 28 January 1996 in Burlington, New Jersey. He had 2 sons, one who passed in 97 and I am unable to determine if the other is still alive

QST August, 1917

DULUTH RADIO ASSOCIATION

The first meeting of the Duluth Radio Association was held at the Y. M. C. A. in Duluth, Minn., and the following officers elected: President, Earl C. Hawkins; Vice President, Theodore H. Lutes; Financial Secretary, Rene A. Braden; Sergeant-at- Arms, William D. Wagner. Thirteen members were enrolled, and although this number is a “hoodoo,’' the prospects are that the Club will be a success.

The purpose of the Club is to control local QRM. All communications should be addressed to R. A. Braden, 1814 East 1st
St., Duluth, Minn.

In response to your earlier question I belive spark stations refered to the voltage on the coil, not wattage. So that would indicate he was using a tube. His father was a surgeon so there was probably money available for such a luxery

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
G3UUR

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 10:46:38 AM »

9BFO and W9BFO appear to have been held by quite a few individuals over the years, John. As you've already discovered, 9BFO was held by Rene Braden originally, then by Harold C, Duncan of Redwood Falls, Minn. The prefix 'W' was added officially in January 1929, but in reality many American amateurs started using it in late 1928. Jack R. Hayes, Chicago, Ill. is listed as the holder of W9BFO in the 1930 call book. I don't know whether he was killed in WW2 or gave up because he didn't take out the same call after the war. Perhaps he moved out of the 9 call area.

Charles F. Leppla of Elmhurst is listed as W9BFO in the 1962 call book. John A. Warren has the call by 1971. He was in Carmi(?) Ill. He's still listed as the holder in 1993, but had moved to Mt. Vernon by then.

There are lots of old amateur radio call books on http://www.archive.org these days, so if you want more detail, John, there are probably enough call books on the site now to find out roughly how long each of these individuals held your call.

Regards,

Dave G3UUR

Dave,G3UUR
Vintage AM from the East of England
Knightt150
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 09:29:37 PM »

Hello: I want to thank every one for the info, Carl I know this took a while to come up with this, I want to thank the other station for his info, although I have most of it already. Carl you have answered the question about the spark or tube transmitter.

I hope to pass the call to one of my grandsons, It will be with me for ever its is going on my tombstone.

Amateur radio has been a very important part of my life for now 58 years and I hope a lot more

Thank You all
John W9BFO
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015