The AM Forum
April 16, 2024, 04:56:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SUSSEX Hamfester Report ---  (Read 3009 times)
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« on: July 16, 2019, 01:38:25 PM »

Dateline Sussex New Joisey...

Was hot. Somehow the sun in Sussicks is always brighter and hotter than anywhere else.
While it wasn't super hot air temp wise, the sun was brutal.

I used sunblock, umbrella, and drank lots O'water.

Turnout for sellers was larger than I personally have ever seen there. All the rows were
populated... quite a lot of BO-tankers... there had been some indications that the remaining Joe Cro,
Vortex gear was to be there, but I saw no sign of that.

Had to be 3x what it typically was... not maybe as big as NEARFEST, but pretty darn good.

I took no pix. Sad
But, you'd only see the usual rows of tables and gear... to see the whole thing somone
would have had to snap each table more or less. I was at my booth except for two walk-abouts
to scan the booty. Did not find much that I could spot quickly that I needed.

Found a D-104 that upon arrival home, turns out to have a good sounding head. Yay.
Price was OK.

Brought with me: DX-100B, SX-28, HQ-129X, 2 x Rangers, SP-600 JX-14, HRO VHF receiver, Kenmore TS-680S,
SX-101A... sold everything but the 129 and the Rangers. Most of it sold in the last hour before I pulled
out after noon. Pleasantly surprised.

Ran into quite a few AMers... including Nick KG2IR, Howie (Nicks friend, what's his call?), Carl PKD, Brown W1NZR, Dave W2VW,
Billy BTK (along with Dave and a couple others), Paul KD2IWC, and Steve W2TRH made the trip down with me. Sorry I know I
missed a bunch of people in that list... Oh yeah, Mike k3FEF who bought a big tower beacon...

N3JUH, Jim had said he was coming, but I did not spot him.

Steve TRH came away with the ultimate transmitter!
The rare and wonderful Supreme transmitter!
Yes, that is the brand, check ur old 1949 QST, etc.
MORE POUNDS PER WATT than any other!! (at least in the <100watt class).

* BEAR + LARRY DABEAR SUSSEX-1.jpg (561.34 KB, 1191x1505 - viewed 362 times.)

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 02:41:45 PM »

Figures ...I planned to go but decided to stay home and finish up all the "honey-do" jobs. Happy Wife = Happy Life! Than again, she would have been real happy if I sold those two Technics Keyboards! Always next year ....
KD1SH

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 07:50:35 PM »

Pleasure meeting you down there, Mr. Bear, as well as Nick and  Howie (his call is WF2Q; he's a regular on the Sunday Morning AM Carrier net).  Also met Andy, WA2CDL, another regular on the AM Carrier net.
   This was only my 2nd Sussex event, but so far I've been impressed.  Like you say, not quite Nearfest, but pretty close.  Deerfield's shady pines would have been welcome with that blazing sun.  At Sussex it's bring your own shelter, or bake.
   I'm very happy that that wonderful Supreme AF-100 went to a good home.  I positively agonized over that one.  My friend kept egging me on - "let's go get it, I'll help you load it into the truck!"  In the end, I decided to pass - it's an awesome rig, but just too big. I'd need to move my shack into the basement or knock out a wall if I want to mess with monsters like that.  But still, I'm regretting passing on that one, just a bit.
  I did manage to snag a nice old (and much smaller) Lettine 242 six meter AM transmitter, though.  So far no luck coming up with manuals or schematics, but it's not a project I'll be diving into right away, anyway.  A nice Clegg 66'er, too.
  I was also tempted by a Johnson 6 'n 2 Thunderbolt amp - I'll probably regret passing on that one, too.
  Good to see Sauder there - been missing them at Nearfest.
  Now, 52 days to Boxboro, and 86 days to Nearfest.

"Gosh, Batman, I never knew there were no punctuation marks in alphabet soup!"
—Robin, in the 1960's Batman TV series.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 08:22:41 AM »

Dateline Sussex New Joisey...

Steve TRH came away with the ultimate transmitter!
The rare and wonderful Supreme transmitter!
Yes, that is the brand, check ur old 1949 QST, etc.
MORE POUNDS PER WATT than any other!! (at least in the <100watt class).               

Ah yes, just what Steve needs.... another big boat anchor transmitter (he doesn't have room for what he's got now!) that puts out low power for its size Grin

This is a tease so he actually gets the 450th rig completed - and that rig will put out a lot of power !!

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 06:32:32 PM »

...can't be sure or certain, but maybe TRH is wanting to pick up the torch from 51watt Fred, and Jackson Bob!!?!?!

* SUPREME AF-100-1.JPG (172.35 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 379 times.)

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015