The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:51:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: specialty lighting for panels meters RF decks etc.  (Read 2821 times)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« on: July 04, 2019, 10:11:08 PM »

There are dozens of colors of LEDs, and there have always been Incandescent lamps for lighting up every part of vacuum tube gear. A cornucopia of light sources, seems never-ending.

What Jon did on that long row of analog meters in the "Analog modulating a 1000 watt carrier class E rig" topic is pretty cool. LEDs give us freedom to add atmosphere to projects. Another kind of light that has come down in cost recently is Electroluminescent. Some older cars had this lighting in the dash. Not sure how good it would be for homebrew but it's worth looing at. There are some large-ish panels, tape, and other stuff that seems reasonable Not sure how bright it is though. Might be worth looking at this stuff: https://www.ellumiglow.com/electroluminescence

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 01:18:57 PM »

It's a very nice one stop LED shopping spot, but ridiculously over proved.
For example, the LED light strips (RGBW) that they get ~$70 - $120 for I bought off EBAY, shipped for $18. I've found that all these US LED dealers are buying off EBAY and just marking the cost way up.

Another example - I just installed an 18FT SunSetter motorized awning. hey wanted $399 for the white LED light kit - I bought the same LED light strips in multi color + white for $21 off an EBAY dealer. Interesting thing about this sale was that I received it, the next day, via Amazon. So EBAY dealers are using PRIME.
KC4VWU

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 03:24:45 PM »

Bob,
        Hey, they're businessmen!

I swear one day I'll forward the story on that, it's nothing major, but quite comical.

Most of the time you see flipping for a profit with not much work going on, it's a millennial behind it, and you are to consider them an accomplished businessman.

Just too damn funny! 
KK4YY

Your best isn't as good as you can be.

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 03:35:41 PM »

I've noticed some Ebay sellers that are buying from China and marking up the price slightly. I've bought from them on occasion, and paid that premium, to get the faster shipping.

Don

All your worries won't add a day to your life, or make the ones you have any happier.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2019, 08:24:33 AM »

I was referring to the electroluminescent panels sold on that site.  My intention wasn't to highlight yet another LED merchant, no disrespect intended. Looking at those, they have several choices. LED strips are chosen thoughtfully, they are not all created equal that's for sure.

But to the electroluminescent panels, they are a contender for the ne plus ultra award for custom meter faces and control panels. A few cars, Dodge, I think, used them to light the tach, etc in the late 1960s. The color will also change slightly with excitation frequency. they are essentially Light Emitting Capacitors.

Indeed, a business willing to stock some imports for quick delivery has earned a bit more money. On special parts for the grownup version of laser tag, the 3-5 day delivery is worth it. Business is good! Make Business! Make more, now! Only through increased commerce can we be cleansed of poverty!

* laser tag 40W_CO2--64.png (20.79 KB, 1113x783 - viewed 280 times.)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
WO4K
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 08:35:00 AM »

Slightly off-topic, but related: when I was building my current radio room I wanted LEDs to illuminate my rigs. I needed a valence to put the LED strips in, directing the light down so no glare hit my eyes. So I wandered around Home Depot for an hour to see what I could MacGyver as a valence. Found the perfect thing: a 8' section of roof eve drip rail for about $3.50. Works great. Just thought I'd pass it along. If interested you can see it on my QRZ page.

Patrolling the ionosphere from Woodlawn, Tennessee.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015