The AM Forum
April 16, 2024, 12:40:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rcvr with slowly decreasing RF sensitivity, but power on off restores full sens.  (Read 3579 times)
af6im
Contributing

AF6IM jumping from a C54G, 1999 Quincy Illinois.

« on: June 26, 2019, 06:00:49 PM »

I am a novice tube receiver troubleshooter and thought I'd ask for help from those more skilled than I am. On initially powering up RF sensitivity is great, but it declines over about a 30 minute period. If I switch the power off and on, full sensitivity is restored for a while. What is the most likely cause? I am guessing it's a cap but which circuit function cap is most likely to produce this symptom? I'm betting on something leaky in the RF amp section, perhaps a cap associated with a screen grid. The rcvr is a WW 2 vintage R 5A ARN 7 ADF. I've replaced all bad caps accessible on the chassis bottom but many more reside inside sealed shielded compartments mounted on the upper surface of the chassis. Any advice appreciated.
WD4DMZ

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 08:07:09 PM »

Not too long ago I had a Hammarlund HQ145x that did that. Turned out to be a tube that worked until it got hot. It was either in the front end RF amp or first IF section. The tubes all tested good so I started swapping them out with known good ones starting at the RF amp. I was lucky that the first or second tube replacement solved the problem.

Rich
KK4YY

Your best isn't as good as you can be.

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 08:12:28 PM »

You can try making DC voltage measurements at initial turn-on and then again after the trouble is evident. When you see a change, you've found where to start looking for the problem.

Don

All your worries won't add a day to your life, or make the ones you have any happier.
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 09:29:37 PM »

If it is not the tubes or the rectifier or capacitor in the Power Supply, consider replacing any El-Menco (rectangular) mica capacitor in the oscillator (Converter) circuit.

That cured the problem in a Hallicrafters S-108.

Phil

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2019, 06:55:55 AM »

I've seen this happen where a grid resistor is open or has drifted to a really high value.  What happens is the grid develops an increasing negative charge and with no place to drain off the voltage, it just keeps increasing thereby cutting off the tube.  Turning the radio on and off dissipates the charge.

Also depending on the design of the AVC system, the DC return to ground (thru a resistor or inductor) could be open or drifted high.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
KK4YY

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2019, 07:21:49 AM »

I came upon some NOS carbon comp resistors that I was going to use in a project. I took the time to measure them before installation, only to find that they had drifted ridiculously far out of tolerance. Like, not even close to the correct value. I couldn't trust them even to maintain the value that I measured, so they got tossed.

I also had some NOS wire wounds like the ones used for HV bleeders. Half of them were open-circuit. A HV bleeder is a critical part. I couldn't even trust the ones that measured good, for that application. I had to toss the lot. After that experience, I now design multiple parallel resistors into bleeder applications so that if one fails the bleed is only partially reduced.

So again, I suggest making measurements not only when trouble-shooting, but when building too.

Don

All your worries won't add a day to your life, or make the ones you have any happier.
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2019, 08:05:05 AM »

I came upon some NOS carbon comp resistors that I was going to use in a project. I took the time to measure them before installation, only to find that they had drifted ridiculously far out of tolerance. Like, not even close to the correct value. I couldn't trust them even to maintain the value that I measured, so they got tossed.

I also had some NOS wire wounds like the ones used for HV bleeders. Half of them were open-circuit. A HV bleeder is a critical part. I couldn't even trust the ones that measured good, for that application. I had to toss the lot. After that experience, I now design multiple parallel resistors into bleeder applications so that if one fails the bleed is only partially reduced.

So again, I suggest making measurements not only when trouble-shooting, but when building too.

Don

Don makes a good point here ... a bit of component history surfaces here .... reliable electronics came about as a result of the space exploration programs of the 1960's .... impetus was gained from watching missles blow up at launching .... its amazing what can happen when a whole country has its posterior on the line  Shocked Shocked Shocked

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
af6im
Contributing

AF6IM jumping from a C54G, 1999 Quincy Illinois.

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2019, 05:35:00 PM »

I very much appreciate all the helpful suggestions. Thank you.

Mark
AF6IM
KK4YY

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2019, 09:18:35 PM »

Many years ago, I worked at a company that made RF power amplifiers. We had been sub-contracted to build a power amplifier which transmitted video from a certain device to allow its direction to be remotely controlled while in flight.

During our continuing production and shipment of the units, several of them were returned to us from our customer, having failed pre-flight testing. They came upon my bench to be repaired. Upon inspection, I found that each unit exhibited the same problem. A hi-rel electrolytic capacitor had failed, spectacularly. A pattern was developing — which was reinforced when one of those capacitors failed while I was testing a newly assembled unit. After retrieving the body of that capacitor, which had shot across the room, I read the date code on it.

All the failed parts had been sitting on the shelf for a very long time before being used. We were building a new product with old parts. I was able to convince the powers-that-be to toss the old parts and buy new ones. Problem solved.

Reliability matters. Especially when you only get one chance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4zEmeWmhh4

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015