The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:27:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hammarlund HX-50  (Read 11990 times)
N9NEO

« on: April 18, 2005, 10:02:56 PM »

Anybody here ever run a Hammarlund HX50?  Just curious what you think of it.

I just bought one off Epay that needs a bunch of work.   From Epay pics it looks like previous owner might have  removed a couple of bands.  I can tell this one's gonna keep me busy for a while.  Heheh.  Should show up here this week.

NEO

I'd rather be anatomically correct than politically correct!
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 07:16:15 AM »

Bob - never had one, but always thought they were cool.

I'd be willing to bet they are capable of outstanding hifi AM.... a little bit of work in the audio section and bypass the crapstal filter (if it has one, perhaps it's a phasing rig) and you're good to go.  Perhaps 20-30 whatts of AM at 150% mudulation.

I did this with a Heapshit HX-20 mobile SSB xmitter and it seems to sound pretty FB.

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
N9NEO

Yep
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 07:18:04 PM »

Ok, I'll figure out some mods to make it sound good.  I was attracted to it because it has 160m capability (maybe)  Was an option or an add on later.  Also kinda goes with the other Hammers I got kickin around.  

Bob

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 07:30:39 PM »

From what I remember about this rig, it needed a lot of work right out of the factory. Hammarlund issued a number of bulletins against this model. Was only around for about 2½ years. It was replaced by the HX-50A.  It is a 3 MHz crystal filter rig, 6DQ5 in the final. Claimed AM about 12 to 15 watts.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
N9NEO

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 09:33:02 PM »

Thanks Pete.   I'll fiddle with it and see what's up.

I'm not sure how much experience - or what kind of reputation - Hammarlund had with the xmit end of the business.  IMHO they did a fine job with the rcvr end of things.

One thing I learned with my first used transmitter - a Knight T150.  You can probably get anything working pretty good if you are willing to throw as much time and money at it as required.

I've often wondered why those gearheads spend so much time and money on those muscle cars...  That's right about the time I remember how much time and money I spend on radios.

Bob

KA7WOC

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 11:06:51 AM »

Trade it for a yellow dog and shoot the dog :!:

Bob (aka Boatyard)
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2005, 11:02:40 AM »

Hello,
        I have a HX-50, and have had it on the air both on 40 and 75 Meter AM+SSB. For AM, Hammarlund recommends you adjust your carrier for about 12W output. If my memory serves me correct (I haven't had it on the air in two years) it uses one sideband and a carrier for AM; like most slopbucket transmitters of the era. The audio quality is most hyellowy and restrictive. SSB audio is identical to AM, but more representative of what one is likely to hear on a sideband rig.

Hammarlund offered 160M as a kit option with the rig, and to my knowledge most people who bought them didn't buy it. What a shame since it was only an additional $10 at the time! I only know of 1 HX-50 that has 160M, and the owner was lucky enough to find a kit. To do the modification yourself it is a real pain in the @!! involving many component changes and additions.

I get about 60W or so out of my rig on sideband, and I run the AM carrier up to about 12W or so. It's good for driving a linear. You may want to read the manual since the tuneup procedure and settings are a bit different from what you might expect. I think you have to set the bias on the final tube a bit higher than what you would think (again, I forget the setting since I haven't operated it in sometime).

I mated my HX-50 to a HQ-170 and it was fun to operate the two together.

One more thing, the HX-50 doesn't use PTT, but the rear panel has a provision to put a switch to key the plate. That made it a bit easier than throwing the plate switch on the transmitter everytime I wanted to talk. I wired up the keying circut of my D104 to the rear panel, and the mike input to the front.

The best of luck with your HX-50 when you get it and hope to hear it on the air!

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
Vinnie/N2TAI
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2005, 09:36:26 PM »

I have a Hammarlund HX-50A teamed up with a HQ-110A. It was my first Hf rig when I got  my General. Ran it for a year or two until I got a Drake TR-4. Used both AM and SSB got good audio reports even with AM. Contesting was interesting since I had to spot the transmitter everytime I changed frequency. The instruction book was interesting since the HX-50A instructions were issued as an addenda to the HX-50 instructions. There are also at least 2 different versions of the HX-50A schematic. I also used th switch on the D104 stand wired to the terminals on the back of the rig for PTT and used a 4 pin Amphenol connector so the mike can be disconnected to make the rig easier to move.
N9NEO

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2005, 12:33:38 PM »

Ok, thanks for the good comments.  

Not sure how the yellow dog comment fits in here though, but thanks anyway.  As a matter of fact I may just have the best damn yellow lab in the world.  His name is Whitley.  My wife was all set to get the family a nice female poodle.  I reminded her that we have 4 daughters, and that was probably way more than any man was designed to endure.

I have to tell you that the HX50 has arrived and I find it to be if nothing else a very pleasant rig to look at.  It's gonna be perched right next to my HQ170A.  The 170A was my first piece of ham radio gear, and I bought it for 70 bucks when I was first married over 25years ago.  Bought it in a small shop in Southington Ct.  It had a label on the front panel WA1FAF I think was the call.

Vinnie - This thing has a 4 pin connector on it too, and I'll most likely feed it with a D104 as well.  I'll get the Yellowy out of this thing.

Joe - Yep, theres a bunch of holes where the 160m stuff goes.  I'm never one to pass up a challenge, so this rig will get one-sixty sooner or later.

Seems the previous owner had something on his mind cause there's a 60Hz filament transformer hanging on underneath the chassis.  Not all the way wired in yet though.  Just sloshing around loose by a couple of wires and kinda heavy.  Bought the radio from a guy on Epay who calls himself 'Dead peoples things', so I'll probably never get the story.

Bob

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015