The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:52:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wow! Inexpensive ferrites chokes!!!  (Read 1756 times)
KK4YY

Your best isn't as good as you can be.

« on: May 15, 2019, 11:01:14 AM »

You may have bought some of these ferrite chokes, as I did, on eBay. Nice pricing, but do they work?

As noted in the photo, the "SPRINGS" attempt to push the ferrite halves together while the "TABS", which are supposed to hold the unit on the conductor, actually push the ferrite halves apart. When installed, any gap between the ferrite halves renders it useless as a choke. Even when installed loosely on the conductor, the springs don't always hold the ferrite halves together.

In the end, I removed all the plastic housings and secured the ferrite halves to the conductors with tightly wound electrical tape.

As to what ferrite material type is used, or how effective it is, I don't know. I only know that the plastic housing is junk and gapped ferrite cores aren't going to get the job done.

Anyway, I now have several dozen of these taped to phone, fire alarm, and other conductors (all of which form a virtual jungle-gym) inside my apartment building.

Do they work now? Well... maybe.

Don

* cheap_chokes.jpg (33.8 KB, 461x500 - viewed 490 times.)

All your worries won't add a day to your life, or make the ones you have any happier.
WA1HZK

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 10:48:26 PM »

I had good luck using power supply AC filters picked up at surplus places. They had chokes and caps in the filter, were balanced, white, black, ground. I used these on phone lines & speaker cables to get myself out of the neighbors stuff. Bought for pennies and saved time because I did not need to build them.
Keith WA1hzk

That interference problem kept me off the air until cable TV was invented.
Pain in the scroat.

AM is Not A Hobby - It's a "Way of Life"!
Timmy, Sometime in 2007 on a Mountain Far Away..
www.criticalradio.com
www.criticalbattery.com
www.criticaltowers.com
www.criticalresponder.com
Official Registered "Old Buzzard"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015