The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:23:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the best way to get info on old licenses?  (Read 3895 times)
W4EWH

« on: May 12, 2019, 06:23:35 PM »

Thanks for reading this.

I'm a volunteer examiner, and I'm looking for a way to search old callbooks, or any other "authoritative" record, which will help me to verify the status of license applicants who claim credit for some parts of an exam because of a previous license. This would help my exam team to process applications more quickly, and would save some older hams the obligation to retake tests that the FCC says they can get credit for.

However, the existing archives seem poorly suited to the task: I just spent a rainy afternoon assembling a history of the ten call signs I've held, and it took a lot more time than would be available during an exam session. The callbook archives are nice, but not complete, and I'd really like to have access to an archive that could be ...

• Searched by call, by name, or by address
  • Includes all calls an applicant held, even those that were used for too short a time to be included in a callbook
  • Shows the class of license held

All suggestions welcome: I was a Systems Analyst in a previous life, and I know that it can be done, but not if anyone has done it.

Thanks in advance.

Bill, W4EWH

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 08:44:47 AM »

Hi Bill,

Look'em up in QRZ.com
Click on "Detail"
GO down and click on "View FCC Record"
Under "DATA" it'll give you the previous class.

Buddly
KK4YY

Your best isn't as good as you can be.

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 09:10:31 AM »

Well, there's this:
https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchLicense.jsp;JSESSIONID_ULSSEARCH=g61GcZrK0fTnv2Jllp1tlJwkDXmywz4h6mKQGlP2y2Ck7p2PKT3R!273373477!1181194212

But if someone can't re-take a test, and pass, are they really ready to upgrade?

Don

All your worries won't add a day to your life, or make the ones you have any happier.
W4EWH

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 10:14:55 PM »

Thanks for the URL: it looks like the ULS won't be useful for what I'm trying to do. I tried to enter my name, and it found the last three callsigns I've had, but nothing before that - and I've been continuously licensed since 1965.

I talked to the FCC about the ULS a few years back: they told me that the ULS doesn't have any calls that weren't in service in 1984, and I have to have a way to find ANY previous license an applicant has held, especially expired ones.

But if someone can't re-take a test, and pass, are they really ready to upgrade?

The FCC says "Yes" - and that's the end of my decision tree.  Cool Thanks for your help!

Bill, W4EWH

W4EWH

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 10:24:00 PM »

Look'em up in QRZ.com

Thanks you, OM: I tried to use QRZ to find my name along with cities I used to live in, and it came up empty. As a VE, I need to be able to verify claims about previous licenses quickly, using whatever info the applicant has, and if I could not recall the callsign I had in California in 1975, I can't expect others my age to do any better.  Embarrassed

Thanks for the tip: I'll keep looking!

Bill, W4EWH

KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 10:24:44 PM »

Seems to me it would be up to the licensee to prove it, if the official records don't go back that far.

I mean, it sucks for the licensee, but if ya can't prove it then it didn't happen, as the kids say today.

Let them research their call and bring the proof in.  I don't see how that would be a detriment, other than an inconvenience.   You already have to prove who you are before taking the test.  You should also be able to prove what license you held.

That said.....  Maybe you've created a niche market for The Call book or another for profit company with the request.  

--Shane
KD6VXI
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 05:04:53 PM »

Bill,
It's not the ideal database but have you considered this as a resource?  Granted, it predates year 2000 but maybe helpful. Not sure how far back you have to go.

https://archive.org/details/callbook

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
W4EWH

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 09:53:18 PM »

It's not the ideal database but have you considered this as a resource?  Granted, it predates year 2000 but maybe helpful. Not sure how far back you have to go. https://archive.org/details/callbook

Bob,

Thanks, I just looked through it. It looks like there's only a few callbooks available: there's the Spring of 1966 edition, for example, and then nothing until Fall of 1967.

I appreciate your help with this: it's turning into a quest!

Bill, W4EWH

W4EWH

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 10:00:38 PM »

Seems to me it would be up to the licensee to prove it, if the official records don't go back that far.

I mean, it sucks for the licensee, but if ya can't prove it then it didn't happen, as the kids say today.

OM,

You're right, of course: the applicant has to support any claim. However, if an applicant mentions a technician license from 1967 when applying for a General exam, I feel it's my obligation to tell him that he can get credit for the General exam if he can pass the current Technician test and provide evidence of his previous license. The FCC specifically listed the Callbooks as valid references for verifying licenses, so a complete (and searchable!) database of the callbooks would be very helpful, as would access to the other information sources the FCC has approved.

Bill, W4EWH

K9PNP

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 01:56:35 PM »

I use this occasionally.  It may just be the same as that referenced by RKW, above, only sorted differently.

https://archive.org/search.php?query=callbook

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015