The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:54:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Off the Air  (Read 2027 times)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« on: May 10, 2019, 02:56:54 PM »

Again.

Haven't been terribly active since the last move, but did get onto 40m with the Heathkit injuns and later the 30K-5 after 'JN stopped down to help get the ol' girl working once more. Had the museum mostly set up, too.

But alas - the 40m dipole is down. Intentionally this time. Preparing for another move, woo hoo. I can't tell you how *cough*cough* excited I am to move again.

It will be good to get out of the DC cesspool area, for sure. Even out here in Manassas the traffic is endless along with the taxes, "fees", crime, noise, and everything else associated with a large, metropolitan area. DC is just that much worse.

Some great museums, though. Well worth a visit - just keep the car running.

* Down1.JPG (559.96 KB, 778x1070 - viewed 313 times.)

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 04:42:28 PM »

Can't say that I disagree with you on the DC area.  Been there  a few times on business.  Nice place to visit.....

What's your next destination, Todd?

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 06:49:16 PM »

When I was in the Army Todd, we called that center insulator like you have, a "Cobra Head"!  It was part of an AB-155 antenna kit if I remember correctly.  It was made by B&W and was indestructible.  It was a cast housing and very beefy.  Later companies came out with some plastic ones. 

GL with the move and I think you will like your next "duty station" much better and hopefully, be on the air more.

Joe-GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 09:19:37 AM »

Having just relocated, I sympathize with you.

For me, it was worth it.  From the slum of Bakersfield to the coastal area of Arroyo Grande, slightly inland to pastoral farmland.

Can't beat it here, I wake up to turkeys and deer in my yard every day, where as in Bakersfield just turkeys.  Digging through the trash cans to get enough recycling to get their next hit.

Owner saw my towers on the ground and asked me what the plans where for them.  I said I dunno yet.  He says put them up, doesn't matter to me!  Yipee!  (he is a Viet Nam vet who was introduced to ham radio talking back home during the war so he's totally cool about ham radio!)

Sorry to hear you've got to rip up roots again, but hopefully this time it will be to a better area for both family and radio!

--Shane
KD6VXI
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 02:57:57 PM »

Yep, it's one of those 'mixed emotions' moments - dreading the move and everything about it, but really looking forward to getting outta this place. I just keep telling my self, 'in a few months...' which keeps me focused.

Bob, we're just heading down the road a bit to the Richmond area, west side. About an hour and a half from here. A bit further away from 'JN but closer to the artist formerly known as the HUZman. Just had the RE photographer & stager here today, listing goes live tomorrow. Of course, now I have to (re)pack all this stuff. Just unpacked several big boxes a few months back, less than a month before finding out. ARC-5, RU/GF stuff, lotsa little control boxes and gadgets.

Yes, the 'cobra head' insulators - I grab 'em up whenever I can. Only the aluminum B&W models. So far I have dipoles for 40, 80, and 160 made with those and heavy duty military antenna wire. The kind that never breaks. Hopefully the next place will have the trees and space to sling them all up. Then all I'll need is the time.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015