The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:08:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Repeat Exam Takers  (Read 9448 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: April 15, 2005, 09:08:22 AM »

We have all heard about hams who manage to pass their licence exam by taking the test over and over again until they have finally memorised enough of the question pool or just plain lucked out.

If you thought the situation was bad enough with ham radio exams in the US, the following story has to take the cake.  

Or (to volunteer examiners) does it look familiar?

If you don't succeed once, try again

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 09:13:15 AM »

I just learned that we spell license different from the Britishers. My last sentence used poor grammar. Great to be American.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 09:17:56 AM »

No Dave.... they spell it differenter than we do.

I just learned that we spell license different from the Britishers.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 10:04:31 AM »

It took me 2 times to pass 20 WPM
Come to think of it it took 2 times to pass 5 WPM standing at the Hatry ham counter shaking like a deep in the head lights as the buzzards watched me.

Maybe they should make the test easier to increase the number of hams.
The land of diversity needs include everyone.
Too bad everything has transistors so high voltage doesn't weed out
the idiots.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 10:18:07 AM »

"The repairman, from a small town in the southeastern part of the county who will soon turn 70, said he was illiterate and used the test process to teach himself the rules of the road because he could not read them in a manual."

Gawd.... poor bastard took the exam 271 times for 5 years to learn the material?  

Does the word "tutor" sound like a reasonable solution?  Someone could have explained the rules and material to him in the language he understood in a few days.  

His method was like manufacturing lock washers with a hand file from a piece of steel.  I'm glad he'll never be driving behind ME.... :lol:

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 11:24:27 AM »

Quote from: Dave Calhoun W2APE
I just learned that we spell license different from the Britishers. My last sentence used poor grammar. Great to be American.

It's a grammatical distinction, not a matter of nationality.  Look it up an a good unabridged dictionary.  "Licence" is a noun, as to have licence to do something.  "License" is a different word, a verb, as in to license a person to drive or to transmit on the radio.  Unfortunately, the subtle distinctions in our language are rapidly disappearing, rendering less precise our ability to communicate.

George Orwell called attention the phenomenon in 1984 with the contrived language "Newspeak".

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2005, 11:30:20 AM »

Quote from: k4kyv
Quote from: Dave Calhoun W2APE

It's a grammar distinction, not a matter of nationality.  Look it up an a good unabridged dictionary.  "Licence" is a noun, as to have licence to do something.  "License" is a different word, a verb, as in to license a person to drive or to transmit on the radio.  Unfortunately, the subtle distinctions in our language are rapidly disappearing, rendering less precise our ability to communicate.

George Orwell called attention the phenomenon in 1984 with the contrived language "Newspeak".

Hi Don,

I did look it up but neglected to read the entire definition.
I'll go adjust my sidebands a little so they can be properly demodulated using a diode detector.
KE1GF
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2005, 11:33:51 AM »

It took two tries for me to pass my 5wpm to get my tech+ but not on the same day...

I passed my 13wpm on the first shot to make general, made 2 CW qso's and never bothered with the mode again.

And... I had to take the advanced test twice during a "ham n' a weekend" session at the local radio club to pass.

One person from the club tried to talk me into sitting down and memorizing the question pool... but that went in one ear and out the other. "cause that's how his kid got his ticket."

That must be the parents plan to how they're gonna make their children sucessful in life, have their children memorize the SAT question pool so they can get into a school that never gives a multiple choice test. QTF... Over.

MUHAHAHA!!

So there!
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2005, 12:18:15 PM »

I flunked the old Cornditional test when I was 13.  Then went up to Boston for the General. Loaded for bear - glad I flunked the first one. [Ed, W1RFI, then WN1CYF and I went up with my dad that June morning in 1966]

I still think tests mean little in the long run. It's a nice little screen, but what REALLY matters is what you do with yourself AFTERWARDS - for your whole ham career.

I'd rather see a guy cheat and get a free ticket, but then go on to grow technically, build rigs, mentor/help others and inspire others to have fun on the air.  Rather than a guy who is a technical whiz bang and aces the test, but buys a signal and lords over others while helping no one to grow in the hobby...  No contest.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2005, 03:33:06 PM »

I studied the ARRL manuals for my Novice and General.  Got both first try, back in 1959.  My first rig was homebrew, and I stayed with homebrewing, my first little 30w xtal controlled 807 CW rig gradually evolving into a plate modulated kilowatt.  After being licensed a total of about four years, continuing to work a little CW now and again, I went with a friend to the FCC office and took my Amateur Extra and 1st Class Radiotelephone, cold on the spur of a moment, only studying a Q-A manual on the road trip to the FCC office.  To my surprise and delight, I passed both exams on the first try.  I'd say that 75% of the knowledge I needed to pass could be directly attributed to the years of homebrewing my own stuff out of whatever junk I could scrounge.

My original intent for that trip to the FCC testing site was kind of like the Korean guy, to see first-hand what was on the exams, so I would have a better idea of  what to  study for when I took them next time with the real expectation of passing.

- - -
K1MVP
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2005, 10:33:29 PM »

Quote from: K1JJ
I flunked the old Cornditional test when I was 13.  Then went up to Boston for the General. Loaded for bear - glad I flunked the first one. [Ed, W1RFI, then WN1CYF and I went up with my dad that June morning in 1966]

I still think tests mean little in the long run. It's a nice little screen, but what REALLY matters is what you do with yourself AFTERWARDS - for your whole ham career.

I'd rather see a guy cheat and get a free ticket, but then go on to grow technically, build rigs, mentor/help others and inspire others to have fun on the air.  Rather than a guy who is a technical whiz bang and aces the test, but buys a signal and lords over others while helping no one to grow in the hobby...  No contest.

T

Tom,
 The ARRL has used the rationale, "that its not what one does to get
 a ticket that matters,--its what one does after one gets a ticket that
 matters"
 If thats the case, why bother giving a test at all?
 Most guys I knew that were willing to "cheat" to get a ticket because
 it was too much "work", usually were not interested in building or
 modifying(too much work).
 As far as "cheating" to get a ticket nowadays,--with the "new giveaways"
 5wpm extra`s, etc,--who has to cheat anymore?
 At the rate ham radio is going, --it will probably be "de-regulated" in
 another 5 to 10 years, where one will only have to "apply" to
 get a ticket.

73`s, Rene, K1MVP    Smiley
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2005, 12:26:04 AM »

Quote from: K1MVP
[ The ARRL has used the rationale, "that its not what one does to get a ticket that matters,--its what one does after one gets a ticket that matters" If thats the case, why bother giving a test at all?

Hi Rene,

Hmmm... did they get that saying from me?...  :lol:

Yep, you got it right.

A test is really the guidelines to give someone an idea what is expected of him to participate in the hobby. A test is also a formal way of keeping control of the service. Otherwise it becomes a free-for-all like CB.

Ham Radio, like all hobbies, has a self-adjusting mechanism. What I mean by this is that you get out what you put in. Just like Karate, car racing, bird watching or chess - if you put in little, you will burn out in a heartbeat. The guys who don't do anything after the test, or get a "free" license by memorizing the questions are in it to communicate only. Communication to say "hello", 59, how's the family gets old quick. Just like the 2M repeater or that 2M HT on the belt. Old REEEAAAL quick.  They're gone.

Buying the latest station thinking that everyone on the air will want to talk with you and you will be popular as a result is one of the funnier parts of ham radio. Dead end. After a few days, nobody cares what rig you have.  Burn out.  You hear them in the DX portions of the band all the time. They end their transmission by saying something like, " Rig here is a new Icom 756 Pro IV field disco duck, with an Alpha 88EZ linear, and a HyGain THX15DXXX  tribander, over. - [looking for maximum effect by making it the last comment, but usually a big disappointment]  

So, by default, the guys who hang around for the duration are usually the ones who've studied hard for the test, kept learning, built/reconed/modified rigs, helped a lot of other hams - thus made many friends. This hobby is all about the quality of friends you have developed over the years to have fun with. Otherwise its a lonely lone-wolf world out there calling CQ and having a hi hi FB QSO with a stranger every time you get on.

So, I think ham radio is kinda self-adjusting in that it bores the guys who don't put their hearts into it and rewards the ones who do with fasination.
Again, a test is a good screen, but means very little in the long run. I busted ass to pass the Extra and 20 wpm, but that is old news and means nothing - everyone else had to pass a test too... so what?  Show me what a ham has done with himself since to impress me.

T

K1MVP
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2005, 08:49:50 AM »

Quote from: K1JJ
Quote from: K1MVP
[ The ARRL has used the rationale, "that its not what one does to get a ticket that matters,--its what one does after one gets a ticket that matters" If thats the case, why bother giving a test at all?

Hi Rene,

Hmmm... did they get that saying from me?...  :lol:

Yep, you got it right.

A test is really the guidelines to give someone an idea what is expected of him to participate in the hobby. A test is also a formal way of keeping control of the service. Otherwise it becomes a free-for-all like CB.

Ham Radio, like all hobbies, has a self-adjusting mechanism. What I mean by this is that you get out what you put in. Just like Karate, car racing, bird watching or chess - if you put in little, you will burn out in a heartbeat. The guys who don't do anything after the test, or get a "free" license by memorizing the questions are in it to communicate only. Communication to say "hello", 59, how's the family gets old quick. Just like the 2M repeater or that 2M HT on the belt. Old REEEAAAL quick.  They're gone.

Buying the latest station thinking that everyone on the air will want to talk with you and you will be popular as a result is one of the funnier parts of ham radio. Dead end. After a few days, nobody cares what rig you have.  Burn out.  You hear them in the DX portions of the band all the time. They end their transmission by saying something like, " Rig here is a new Icom 756 Pro IV field disco duck, with an Alpha 88EZ linear, and a HyGain THX15DXXX  tribander, over. - [looking for maximum effect by making it the last comment, but usually a big disappointment]  

So, by default, the guys who hang around for the duration are usually the ones who've studied hard for the test, kept learning, built/reconed/modified rigs, helped a lot of other hams - thus made many friends. This hobby is all about the quality of friends you have developed over the years to have fun with. Otherwise its a lonely lone-wolf world out there calling CQ and having a hi hi FB QSO with a stranger every time you get on.

So, I think ham radio is kinda self-adjusting in that it bores the guys who don't put their hearts into it and rewards the ones who do with fasination.
Again, a test is a good screen, but means very little in the long run. I busted ass to pass the Extra and 20 wpm, but that is old news and means nothing - everyone else had to pass a test too... so what?  Show me what a ham has done with himself since to impress me.

T

Basically, we ARE in agreement,--from your above statement, although
 I would submit the fact that you WERE willing to put the EFFORT in
 to get the extra at 20 wpm, shows that you are the kind of guy
 who IS willing to work, and as such it does not surprise me you are
 a builder/ modifier.
 As you say, one gets out of something, what one is willing to put into
 it.--My contention is,  the "freebie" tickets that are being proposed
 will not benefit ham radio in the "long run", except give the numbers
 a "boost" in the short term.--IMO

73, Rene, K1MVP  Smiley
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2005, 08:53:39 AM »

A colleague, who had a novice or maybe Tech license for years recently became interested in radio again... he'd never been on the air despite having a license in Morocco, Germany, and Turkey during his overseas postings in those countries.  

He got up his gumption, studied for a week, and passed all the way to Extra.  Now unfortunately he's been posted to UAE where foreigners can't get ham tickets, and I suspect his interest will wane again.

I guess my point is that it ain't hard, and with minimal effort the ticket is obtainable.  And maybe someday the bug will bite hard and he'll end up with a garage full of receivers, parts, and test equipment.

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015