The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:16:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NTS  (Read 3352 times)
W1RKW
Contributing

NTS
« on: April 15, 2005, 07:31:56 PM »

When was the last time you recieved a radiogram from the NTS?

If I remember correctly it was about 20 years ago for no explained reason.  I saved it but I'm unable to find it to verify when.

Anyone else ever get a radiogram?

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
Glenn K2KL
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 03:29:56 PM »

I remember passing some gas, er I mean traffic about 15 years ago, and I asked the guy handing off to me.... "couldn't you like just call the guy on the phone? duh?"  :lol:  :lol:

Quote from: W1RKW
When was the last time you recieved a radiogram from the NTS?

If I remember correctly it was about 20 years ago for no explained reason.  I saved it but I'm unable to find it to verify when.

Anyone else ever get a radiogram?
Glenn K2KL
NTS
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 10:11:33 PM »

So a ham in the affected area gets on hf and contacts another ham in an unaffected area who makes a phone call. Not sure I understand why a national network is needed, unless we're talking about the entire country going down, which I guess is possible in an extreme case when you think about it..

Quote from: K3MSB
I get about 1 or 2 a year.  Seems there's this NTS guy in Harrisburg that sends me radiograms to invite me to check into some of the CW nets.  

I did some CW NTS stuff back in the 70's, but cetainly nothing since then.

Yes, you can call the individual on the phone, but the point of the NTS (in this day and age) is to provide communications when you can't.  

I've never paid much attention to how these guys in disaster areas (such as hurricanes) get their traffic out.   Local stuff on 2M is fine, but at some point you need to cross the boundary between an area that has phones (pick your type) and the affected area.  If the affected area is big enough, using 75M or 40M would do nicely.
Glenn K2KL
NTS
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 01:46:58 PM »

Thanks for the explain Mark.  Of course, there would have to be an NTS station available 24/7 somewhere in the country, (emergencies don't happen on a schedule) like, ECARS on 7.255mhz, which i believe is daily.

I'm very surprised the fed's would be interested in SSTV  :?:  you would think they must have the latest technology at their fingertips  :?:  :?:

I also live very close to a nuke plant (Indian Point), just one of the many reasons I'm moving next spring.

Quote from: K3MSB
Glenn --

A national network is not needed, but it would be beneficial.  Certainly you can use any frequency to get traffic in and out, but having NTS would make things easier.  

I live near two nuke plants, one of which is TMI (Three Mile Island).  The EC guys do regular drills, and recently the FEMA people (or whomever; I don't know their real title...but they're gov...) has expressed an interest in SSTV over our 2M repeater.  Slow as molassis, but it gets the job done.  Now, let's say there was a need to get an image out of my "region" (which you can define as you want).  I wouldn't have a clue as to what frequency to squirt out some SSTV.  It would be hit and miss.  However, if I knew where NTS was operating (voice), I suspect they could relay for me, and get it to the destination quicker than Joe Ham that I stumble across.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015