Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /homepages/11/d132647312/htdocs/Amfone/mkportal/include/SMF/smf_out.php on line 47
Fixed my own R-390A micro switch




 
The AM Forum
June 02, 2020, 09:05:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
 
   Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fixed my own R-390A micro switch  (Read 822 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
W8ACR
Contributing
Member
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 685


254W


« on: April 23, 2019, 11:32:46 PM »

I have recently acquired a very nice Collins R-390A that would not turn off. As I understand it, the 26Z5W rectifier tubes were commonly replaced with solid state diodes, and this sometimes caused the contacts in the ON-OFF microswitch to weld together due to current inrush. Sure enough, I looked at the power supply subchassis, and there were two diodes, and no tubes. I took the diodes out and plugged in two 26Z5W tubes, and promptly blew the AC line fuse. I found out that one of the tube sockets was damaged and shorting to ground. I replaced both tube sockets, and plugged the tubes back in, and success! no more blown fuses. One problem fixed.

The receiver would still not turn off, and I figured I would have to find a suitable replacement switch. But as a last ditch effort, I thought I would try to repair the switch. I took off the front panel, and getting to the switch was relatively easy. The switch was designed so that it could be carefully pryed open, and just as I expected, the contacts were welded together. Using a jewelry screwdriver, I carefully and gently worked on separating the contacts. To my surprise, they actually separated and looked undamaged. I put everything back together, and all is well.

I just thought I would share this story in case someone out there may have a similar problem. I really did not think I would be able to repair the switch. and maybe I was just lucky. Better to be lucky than good. Grin

Ron W8ACR
Logged

The purity that men love is like the mists which envelop the earth, and not like the azure ether beyond.
WD8KDG
Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 261



« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 12:16:52 PM »

Ron,

Somewhere in the past there has been another fix for what ails you. A resistor & cap are used to suppress the arc when those contacts open.

Might find it here: https://www.r-390a.net/

or: http://mailman.qth.net/pipermail/r-390/

Craig,
Logged

Ham radio is now like the surprise in a box of "Cracker-Jacks". There is a new source of RFI every day.
WBear2GCR
Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3862


Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG


WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 11:04:43 AM »

I sent you a PM, Ron, there were a few switches on epay... also almost any suitably rated microswitch could be
subbed into that spot, would need a suitable physical dimension, but there are a lot to pick from.

glad you go it fixed - I had one that was really well fried in an R-392...
Logged

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
WD8KDG
Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 261



« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 12:53:04 PM »

Found it in my notes:

Added a 0.01mF 1KV ceramic cap in series with a 220 ohm resistor across the function switch contacts. No welded contacts since.

Craig,
Logged

Ham radio is now like the surprise in a box of "Cracker-Jacks". There is a new source of RFI every day.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone 2001-2015
Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 18 queries.