The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:01:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: N3IBX SK  (Read 21581 times)
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2019, 04:59:05 PM »

Fred, I really like the suit and tie picture.  Reminds me of a hamfest I went to years ago and bought some old buzzard gear from a classy looking gentleman accompanied by his who was probably in his 80's, like Joe in your picture, he was dressed in a suit and tie.  Both he and his wife were dressed in their Sunday best. He was a very humble man but very knowledgeable and engaging.  These guys are a rarity, Joe included.

Power to the Pentode!

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
KD1SH

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2019, 06:01:54 PM »

I didn't know Joe - much to my loss - but from what I'm reading here in the forum, he had plenty of honest friends who'll step in to ensure that his treasures are respected.
   In my case, my wife goes to all the hamfests with me and knows all my ham friends - honest, decent friends who'll make sure she doesn't get taken advantage of and that my stuff goes to good homes.
   I'll always remember a lady at work telling me how her father had passed away a few years before, and how "he was into that stupid ham stuff," and how it took her and her sisters "a couple of days to throw all that junk away," and how "some of those big boxes with knobs and meters on them were so heavy it took two of us to heave them over the railing into the scrap metal pile."
   There was no way I could explain to her how she'd compounded the tragedy of her father's passing by so carelessly dealing with items that had probably meant a lot to him, and could have meant a lot to someone else, as I'm sure her father would have wished.

I did not know Joe, but I was taken back at all the lives he has touched, and all the gear he had.

It seems like the AM community is really taking hit after hit from all the silent keys. But what happens to all their gear? In a case of this thread, "Vortex Joe" really collected a great deal of gear. Maybe we should create a catagory on AM Fone related to this topic.

Would sure be sad if the collection went to the landfill. What about the case where someone "low balls" the surviving spouse? That is better than the landfill for sure, but what is optimum?

Jim
Wd5JKO

"Gosh, Batman, I never knew there were no punctuation marks in alphabet soup!"
—Robin, in the 1960's Batman TV series.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2019, 08:04:07 PM »

I never met him but always admired.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2019, 09:32:47 PM »

So sorry to hear this. Joe was always excited about radio. His passion was infectious. I will miss the QSOs and the in-person conversations. Condolences to his family. May he rest in peace.

GMS: What ever became of the Bucket of Rocks?
WA2IXP

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2019, 07:28:03 AM »

Sad news. I new Joe for quite a few years and enjoyed many qso's with him on 160 AM. Had a memorable visit from him here about ten years ago. He left with an ART-13 setup. At first he was hesitant saying he didn't have much more room but in the end it followed him home to the vortex and in a few days was on the air.  Joe and his wife were wonderful hosts for a visit to him one spring . I spent all day there looking over his collection of radios and cars. His life was too short for all his enthusiasm and interests. Not enough time to pack it all in. A true gentleman. He will be missed.  God bless Joe and his family.

Jay wa2ixp
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2019, 10:29:53 PM »

So sorry to hear this. Joe was always excited about radio. His passion was infectious. I will miss the QSOs and the in-person conversations. Condolences to his family. May he rest in peace.

GMS: What ever became of the Bucket of Rocks?

As in Bucket of Rolling Rocks? 
Joe-GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2019, 12:05:21 PM »

Here's N3IBX at a Gathersburg hamfest - thanks to Paul Courson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4xed2R5kG4&fbclid=IwAR0UfsD7h8tkFs4y_DhUm5DT4EZMRwnaCTR8oBYfybD0SSA1lkctkj14m-Y

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2019, 05:48:06 PM »

The guy on the left of Joe is Al Brown-KZ3AB and the one on the right of Joe is Fran-W3SCC.   

Great video!

W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2019, 09:28:30 PM »

Joe was our Standard Candle of graciousness.
It's hard to believe.  We'll all miss him dearly.
He brought out the fun side of us,
 - Yes, clearly a Pentode man. -

God Speed Joe.

* enjoying cubans.jpg (532.2 KB, 1102x1140 - viewed 427 times.)

RICK  *W3RSW*
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2019, 04:32:17 PM »

I fondly remember sending a 75A-2A receiver I had his way. Had posted it on 'fone and he contacted me almost immediately about it. At first he was somewhat reserved but you could hear the excitement build in his voice when I told him it was still available and I'd put his name on it.

Trying to remember if that was what I brought to him at Frank's pharty. Whatever it was, his eyes lit up like a little kid at Christmas. As Steve said, he was passionate about his radio hobby and that passion was infectious.

Didn't get to work him many times on the air. But he was always a gentleman; on the air or in person.

Resit in peace Joe, and share some of those great conditions with us down here on earth now and then.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2019, 10:41:56 AM »

Damn! Its been a long time since I've been in these 'hallowed halls'. Anyway, just as a follow-up, the HAM portion of Joe's estate will be sold at the Sussex hamfest in July. Some of his stuff was just sold at Kutztown this past Friday. With the exception of an RCA GC receiver and a 75A4A, most of the ham equipment went for a pittance, (including Frank, KB3AHE(SK)'s Invader 2000, that Joe got after Frank's passing. If there are questions about his collection, drop me a line at the email address on the recent FOR SALE ad (Collins 32RA Model -8), I posted and I will try to fill in the details. The rest of his Broadcast sets will be sold at the Kutztown auction in the fall!

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2019, 11:32:32 AM »

Wow - really?

WHO was handling the "sale"Huh

I was under the impression that the AAR auction house was supposed to get that.
They told me that they were dealing with Joe right before he got hurt and then passed away...
they sold a portion.

Well, I'll be at Sussex. Sad

_-_-bear

PS. So much for me selling anything there...

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
W3SLK

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2019, 03:54:56 PM »

Bear, AAR was going to handle it in I think 3 stages. However, since his 'premature passing' (I have my own ideas about that but that is another topic), Jocelyn has indicated she wants to move from the house into something more manageable for her and Joe's mother. She wanted to be able to list the house in September, so that means everything has got to go! She has some of Joe's friends who live close by handling it. I met all these fellows and they are hams also. But they are very square people and have been nothing but helpful to Joe's widow. There will be some who will remain nameless that swooped down like vultures and were relentless in hounding but to no avail. The expectation is to sell the stuff at what would be considered 70~80% ebay prices or lower. On a passing note, my fondest memory of Joe has nothing to do with radios. He came to my house to help me celebrate my 50th lap around Ol Sol. I cut him loose on my Bobcat tractor. He was like a kid in a candy store riding around the property with that and playing with the front end loader!

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
WB4AIO
WB4AIO
Contributing

Better fidelity means better communication.

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2019, 05:26:50 PM »

It seems like yesterday I worked Joe on 75m AM around 3885 and then on 160m SSB on 1993. But I guess it was four or five years ago, really. He had an SDR-1000 like I did at the time and we traded notes. A unique individual!

W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2019, 12:41:07 AM »

Don't be too sad he's gone,

Be happy he was there!

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2019, 07:47:20 AM »

Was the collection ever sold? I remember an auction about a year ago, before he past, but their was MUCH more to go.

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2019, 01:45:49 PM »

So, Estate Vultures (cheats, liars, flippers, widow-robbers, colluders) call or even show up soon as the obituary, and well before the date of any announced auction/sale. I guess that's one definition.

Sorry to read that it happened there, what an annoyance.

They have a special place here meaning I seen'em in action and dislike their disrespect/narcissism.

In my general area there is a small semi-clandestine group called 'the posse' no more will be said but they have no problem cheating widows. A similar local group, made up of the leadershship of the club to which a deceased ham belonged, showed up in the next days after the funeral and demanded to take a $5000 top-line transceiver, lying that 'it belongs to the club'. Those were rebuked, and when they persisted calling and started showing up at the door bothering the blind widow the police had to be called.

I know a great auctioneer who can do live online auctions, lucky me!  and thankfully there isn't/won't be a rush of any kind. If the local vultures can muster the decency and etiquette to wait until the sale/auction is announced then they can register and participate fairly with everyone else.

I got half a notion to exclude those 'early birds' from auction registration because of the possibility of bid pooling/collusion. Politely get contact and callsign info from every one of them that calls/knocks on the door and put them on the 'non grata' list. Won't teach 'em anything.

Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2019, 04:39:25 PM »

If you infered that vultures showed up from my post, that was not what I meant. Joe sold a batch of gear before he passed via an auction house, but having been to his house, that just scratched the surface.
I don't know what has happened since he passed.

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2019, 11:00:23 PM »

Thank goodness. They have been a problem around here.

W3SLK

« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2019, 07:40:02 AM »

Carl said:
Was the collection ever sold? I remember an auction about a year ago, before he past, but their was MUCH more to go.
Sorry I don't get in here as much as I used to. Last week I made a haul on some of the 'heavier' items that was in Joe's collection. I picked up more than I wanted but at least I know its secure. There is a Gates in his basement that is there for the taking. If someone wants it, they better act soon. His widow just purchased a house in Langhorne and will be putting the former on sale in September.
One thing that I always asked Joe for if anything happened to him (and secured!), was the infamous Taliban 100! Smiley

Mike(y)/W3SLK
ka1tdq

Red part turned in for a refund.

« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2019, 09:21:49 AM »

Ok, I'm curious now. What is the Taliban 100?

Jon

It’s not just values, it’s business.
W3SLK

« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2019, 10:18:23 PM »

Jon said:
Ok, I'm curious now. What is the Taliban 100?
It is a cobbled up DX-100 that has an additional 6146 and a pair of 814's as modulators. It is a hideous job but I used to talk to Joe very often on 160 while he was using this rig. To say it is unique is an understatement!

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2019, 10:41:52 PM »

And that amazing large homebrew rcvr he had..... Where is all that stuff? Someone has to know.

Carl

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2019, 06:28:38 PM »

From what I was told, at the next Kutztown Antique Radio meet in the Fall, more of Joe's gear will be auctioned off.   I did attend the Spring event, but did not stay for the auction which was late in the day, plus I have enough stuff. I had given Joe's lots of gear over the years and I just hope it goes  to someone that will use it. 

Joe-GMS

W3SLK

« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2019, 07:40:13 AM »

Carl said:
And that amazing large homebrew rcvr he had..... Where is all that stuff? Someone has to know.
Carl, a good amount of it went to AA Auctions. Originally, he had signed on with Estes out of Ohio but all they wanted to sell was the Collins and Drake equipment. As a matter of fact, there was one item they took that was supposed to be returned because he didn't want to sell it at the time. I honestly forgot what it was. His broadcast radio collection was and continues to be sold at Kutztown. The HB receiver went for a pittance. I should have bought it because it was one of the radios I enjoyed fiddling with when I would visit him. The ham radio stuff didn't go for quite as much as the estate would have liked so they have been selling that on eBay. Joe knew that his ticket was going to be punched soon. He approached me about buying some stuff prior to the auctions. I made my desires known and we agreed on a price, (a lot more than it would have sold for now). I gave him half of what I owed and the rest to be paid upon getting the radios. He insisted I should have taken things then. I should have listen because a few items 'disappeared' but his estate made up for it so I have no hard feelings. I did pay his widow the remaining balance because that was an agreement that both Joe and myself made if something should happen. As it is, people should have noticed a slight gravitational shift the closer one approaches NEPA

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015