The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:56:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AM Broadcast Station With Two Locations  (Read 3512 times)
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« on: April 18, 2019, 03:57:26 PM »

I was poking around on Radio-Locator today and came across a station with two different transmitter and tower locations. One is used for daytime and the other for night. This sites were easily 20 miles apart. Has anyone seen this before?

https://radio-locator.com/info/WQLL-AM?loc=39.30796%2C-76.61702&locn=Baltimore%2C%20Maryland
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 05:32:49 PM »

I was poking around on Radio-Locator today and came across a station with two different transmitter and tower locations. One is used for daytime and the other for night. This sites were easily 20 miles apart. Has anyone seen this before?

https://radio-locator.com/info/WQLL-AM?loc=39.30796%2C-76.61702&locn=Baltimore%2C%20Maryland

Not unusual at all. Many stations around St. Louis for example have different day/night tower fields in close proximity.

https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/am-query

Phil - AC0OB

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
Lou W9LRS
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 08:23:44 PM »

Chicago has two I know of, one is on 820 the other is 1370.
Lou

I Forgot one on 1160
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 08:09:46 AM »

DMOD, in this example the two tower fields are 20-25 miles apart (different sides of the city). This means that two (or four with back ups) transmitters are needed. Is this really that common? I only see one like this in St. Louis.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 09:44:54 AM »

WBZ (Boston MA) and WBZA (Springfield, MA)  They did this for many, many years.

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 11:40:36 AM »

WBZ (Boston MA) and WBZA (Springfield, MA)  They did this for many, many years.

Those were synchronized too i believe. Separate day/night sites aren't unheard of, but not common either. In the case of WQLL, with those nulls in the night pattern they wouldn't be able to cover the target metro from the day site with a similar pattern, and the day pattern would not cover the metro from the night site either, so in a situation like that it makes sense. A lot of these separate site stations seem to come about because they want to run a whopping signal at night but the day site would not allow for a pattern that protect other stations adequately.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 02:26:34 PM »

WHCU 870 Ithaca does this.  5 kw omni near the city by day, 500 watt south of the city firing over it with a notch to protect a station in New Orleans by night. 

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2019, 06:24:27 PM »

There's a station in either Syracuse or Rochester that has a nighttime site on a rooftop in town that runs about 55 watts, that power from their day site wouldn't reach the population.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2019, 09:35:55 PM »

The cost would seem prohibitive, especially with these 4,5 and six tower arrays. I guess it works.

Interestingly WQLL is a music station - not too common on the AM band any longer.
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 10:53:31 AM »

KOOL AM in Phoenix had two sites, day & night.  Both were DA.  New owners have changed that.

BTW, they had an FM, running 52kW up 5" coax to a 4-bay rototiller atop South Mountain  Channel 10 TV, too.

Champions of flamethrowers, and the owner also raised Arabian horses.  Must be nice.

Just pacing the Farady cage...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015