The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:36:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: shaft repair of a Collins 32S-1 VFO  (Read 2026 times)
PA0NVD

Nico and Chappie (Chappie is the dog...)

« on: April 14, 2019, 01:14:13 PM »

I started repairing the 32S-1, and the first thing I saw is that he dial wiggled so much, that I only was able to tune half a turn. Si I took the VFO out and the shaft was severely bend. How could that happen?Huh? Huh
I HAD to rectify the shaft and tried to bend it back , but it broke where the shaft comes out of the VFO at the place of the snap ring that holds the mechanical stops in place. So I thought that is the end and I needed an other VFO. (may be hard to find)
But I tried to repair as well, nothing to loose, anything to gain.
I drilled a hole in the center of the shafts of 2 MM about 8 mm deep. Was quite difficult to center the hole in the shaft end of the VFO, I did not want to take it apart. Threaded both parts with metric 2,5 mm and screwed a brass screw into the VFO end holding the shaft firmly so I could tighten it up very well, 1/4 turn before it should break. . Did cut the screw 6 mm beyond the end of the shaft, did put solder at the screw end and flux and started to tun the broken part on the screw sticking out of the VFO. When it reached the tinned part, I heated the shaft until the solder melted and did further tighten the shaft. The shaft did wiggle very little, but that was easy to rectify.
Calibrated the frequency and did mount the mechanical stop again with the snap clip.
The unbelievable happend, the VFO tunes perfect again en has been mounted into the 32S1.
Next is finding all other problems and get it on the air again.
Lesson learned, DON'T give up, there is always hope  Smiley
WA1HZK

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 06:19:40 PM »

Are you sure you are not a New England Yankee?

AM is Not A Hobby - It's a "Way of Life"!
Timmy, Sometime in 2007 on a Mountain Far Away..
www.criticalradio.com
www.criticalbattery.com
www.criticaltowers.com
www.criticalresponder.com
Official Registered "Old Buzzard"
PA0NVD

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 10:04:13 PM »

Not that I know, but there are a lot of supersizes in life...
W4DNR

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 09:27:15 PM »

Congratulations Nico ! !     

I didn't know you were a Collins Collector.   

Say hello to Maria for me.

Don W4DNR

PA0NVD

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 03:55:28 PM »

Hi Don
Maria has a hug waiting for you as a reply
I am a collector of all old radio's that glow in the dark Don. Both Ham radios, military radios and house radios before 1940. I had once a marvelous KWS-1, but it was too big to take along when I moved, so I sold it and still regret it.
I am currently working at the 32S-1 and it starts to have life again. Still to go is the neutralization and the ALC circuit. I already restored an old 75S-1 and that works fine. Still need a PS for the 32S-1 and than I have a complete S-line.  But if I ever will use it? Restoring is the most fun for me, more than operating.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015